Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BBC Iplayer - no DRM, no P2P  (Read 10256 times)

BBC Iplayer - no DRM, no P2P
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:39:09 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

It uses flash so its cross-platform  :thumbs:

Oh and it works ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BBC Iplayer - no DRM, no P2P
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »

Good heavens, you're right, it does work.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »

It should be pointed out that it still requires IE if you want to download a programme.

I can't see why you'd want to download it rather than stream it but I guess people with peak/off-peak usage limits might want to.

Now if they'd just fix the news streams I could get rid of the bugware called RealPlayer :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

I just use the basic BBC player because I refuse to have real player on my system... but it can be a bit hit and miss.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »

I just use the basic BBC player because I refuse to have real player on my system... but it can be a bit hit and miss.

Then can I interest you in Real Alternative - install it and play Real Media files without installing the official RealPlayer
Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »

Thanks Chris - hadn't seen that one before.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »

It's a good solution, they do a Quicktime Alternative too! Very handy but I often find so many things need Quicktime anyway that I just install it... apart from having to get rid of the tray icon every time there's an update, Quicktime isn't that intrusive (IMO!)
Chris

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »

I never come across anything I want to watch that needs Quicktime :)

Actually I think I probably have a codec loaded so maybe that's why I've never come across anything needing it  :lol:

DivX or Nero probably loaded it, although there's been a fair few codec packs loaded on this machine so who knows.

Edit - for those thinking "what is a codec" it is short for coder/decoder. It is basically a set of instructions as to how to turn a (usually) compressed video (or audio - eg MP3 is a codec) file into something we can watch and vice versa.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:16:05 PM by rizla »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:30:01 AM »

I have the klite codec pack and Media Player Classic for all my Real And QT needs.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

maxping

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 03:04:55 PM »

I have the klite codec pack and Media Player Classic for all my Real And QT needs.

Same here.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:17:07 AM »

Totally different player. You are talking about the download client which has always been P2P (Kontiki IIRC) and had DRM. There won't ever (IMHO) be a download client for Linux as DRM would be... problematical to say the least  :lol:

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »

It's the same one.   ???
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 02:08:20 PM »

i installed 4od, the channel 4 equivalent and had loads of problems with DRM licances
Paul

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »

It's the same one.   ???

No its not.

The downloaded file is in Windows Media Format. It uses Kontiki P2P to download the file. The file has DRM encoded so that the file can only be watched for a certain time period. This is the one you're on about in the other thread.

The streamed file is in Flash format. You can't save the Flash format to disk (well you can but what's the point?). It doesn't use P2P or DRM.

If you try using Internet Explorer you will see the "Download this" option. If you use Firefox then you won't.
Pages: [1] 2