Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I learn something new each day  (Read 3988 times)

c6em

• Reg Member
I learn something new each day
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

Well, Well,
So now according to Plusnet, interleaving is "not applicable on FTTC" as it "doesn't exist".................
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113575.0.html
Post No 6

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: I learn something new each day
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »

Oh dear..  someone appears to be confused in the fact that Interleaving on FTTC cant be permanently switched off.  :o
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »

So now according to Plusnet, interleaving is "not applicable on FTTC" as it "doesn't exist".................
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113575.0.html
Post No 6

I wonder if Post No. 7 ever gets a reply/apology for Plusnet's DUFF technical information.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »

No reply yet..............

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

Hmm, I have never seen this Plusnet staff member before. Perhaps he's new and unfortunately inexperienced? Send Chris Pettitt a PM, he'll know what to do.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »

He seems to have been around for a while, but perhaps not actually dealing with FTTC matters until quite recently:-

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87485.msg727038.html#msg727038

When/if a reply is ever received, I'll ask about the 3 available profiles, which from memory are fast, standard, stable (or words to that effect).

My connection maintains a reasonably steady 6dB SNRM these days, so I'd be happy to try it at say 3dB (if that's what the 'fast' profile does).
Just getting rid of the speed losses caused by Interleaving etc. would also suffice.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »

My connection maintains a reasonably steady 6dB SNRM these days, so I'd be happy to try it at say 3dB (if that's what the 'fast' profile does).
Just getting rid of the speed losses caused by Interleaving etc. would also suffice.

It doesn't. Interleaving just removes the error correction, usually to decrease the latency. Turning off interleaving will not, on its own, decrease the SNRM.

orbrey

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

Hi all,

Just given Matt a heads up, he should be popping in to reply again to the community thread shortly - cheers for letting us know.

Trouble is, we still don't have any control over SNR or interleaving at the moment - all that requires engineer intervention 'cos it's all done at the cabinet (think that's why actuate - the system we get our line profiles from - reports as 'not applicable', because it can only monitor this from the exchange which is what confused Matt :) ).

Hope that helps, cheers.

Kind regards, Matt Taylor
Plusnet Digital Care team

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »

Thanks Orbrey for the reply :)

------------

BT have 3 available profiles that are made available to the ISPs, which they can change :-

Standard – best overall balance between speed and stability for general internet users

Stable – prioritise stability over speed for IPTV videoconferencing, home workers and businesses transferring data and IPTV

Speed – prioritise speed over stability for online gamers

Its not clear what parameters are set for each of these profiles....
However it would seem (and I stand to be corrected on this) that not all ISPs make use of these options and leave all users by default as standard, and then let the DLM do its thing.

I do know that by default Zen place all their new FTTC provisions on the Speed profile.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mikehiow

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »

Seeing as I'm already synced at 80/20 (max 88/32), could I see any benefit from going on the speed profile?

I'm guessing with 10-12ms pings to most decent London networks, interleaving is off, so the answer is no/DLM has already put me on it?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

>> so the answer is no/DLM has already put me on it?

^ I would assume so too.
-----

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »

Oh dear..  someone appears to be confused in the fact that Interleaving on FTTC cant be permanently switched off.  :o

? They can turn it off, there meant to when they test for faults they just won't for the CP. (Note: This information is from an engineer who turned it off on my line attempting to diagnose faults...)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:16:56 PM by ryant704 »

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »

As I understood it the ISP have no direct control of interleaving on FTTC...the DLM decides everything and the ISP's cannot overrule the DLM.
It's not that they do or don't wish to - there are no facilities provided even if they did want to.
This is what I was told anyway!

That said...it is possible that if they use some "fault checker" on FTTC that this does, as part of its automated  process overrule the DLM for the duration of the fault checking process.

Finguz

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »

I'm no expert, but if they can turn it on, they can turn it off  8)

anything