Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No MAC Required?  (Read 17449 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
No MAC Required?
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »

I'm currently on an ADSL24 LLU ADSL connection and am interested in migrating to Plusnet FTTC. I've just finished an online chat with a Plusnet rep and been told I don't need a MAC to migrate to Plusnet FTTC and that Plusnet will ensure a seamless transition. Does that information sound correct?

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: No MAC Required?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

Never mind, this thread seems to answer my question - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3917429  ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25:49 AM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »

Mmm, after signing up with Plusnet without a MAC the first request they had was that I needed a MAC to progress my order. Sent a query to customer services asking what the situation was and they stated that in general they don't need a MAC but it could help facilitate transfer and reduce costs so get one when you ring up to cancel with your current provider. So it's definitive then, we don't need a MAC, give us your MAC?  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »

Oh phooey fiddlesticks:-X

It seems as if the original representative, with whom you spoke, is one of those persons who doesn't seem to know last Tuesday from an empty broom-cupboard!  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

Just be thankful it isnt one of the LLU providers FTTC to non LUU FTTC..  then it does start to get complicated :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »

After further communication with a third CS rep he decided  I definitely needed a MAC, which I requested on Tuesday morning and got after lunch today. Bit irritating but I'm now finally on my way to Plusnet.  ::)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »

the best thing to do is....

...just always get a MAC code...

never ask if you need one or not and dont bother if they say no... this way your not stuck in a rut when they decide they do want one, over on sky-forums ive seen countless people end up in a rut because of this (such as sky saying they take care of it, the customer closes his current broadband account only to find weeks later nothing is happening because the system is awaiting a MAC and he/she can no longer get one!) - basically they only know if you need a mac when the order is processed with openreach and it requests one, most reps will not know which 'scenarios' require MAC'S and which ones dont, or they get them mixed up....
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

icanbefound

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:54 PM »

hello phi2008.  May I ask why you want to "migrate".  What I mean by this is why dont you just stop the contract with one isp and then connect with the nextor  even connect with the next isp before disconnecting with the last.  Why is it important to migrate.  I only ask this as I am currently being charged for a cease charge from BT

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »

The reason is because only one service can be provided at a time and migrating allows a seamless transfer to the new isp, if you stop one isp you can't sign up with another until your current isp is gone and tag removed from the line..  You should have migrated as it would have been cheaper and quicker, your likely to be charged a reconnection fee too,  as much as £129...and could take Weeks to get it all sorted

That's why they invented the mac migration system

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

icanbefound

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »

Thank you snadge, Hello. What do you mean by a reconnection fee.  I presume that the phone line is not disconnected? Is it possible to have two isps on a "line" at the same time?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:10:28 AM »

No its not possible to have 2 isps on at the same time - hence snadges mention of the ISP TAG (that means the line is 'owned' by the other ISP).

If you dont use a MAC for migration then its basically a a cease and re-provide.   A MAC ensures the work is done on the same day...  without a MAC then you cant re-order until the full cease from the old ISP has gone through and the old ISPs tag removed from the line.

Phil wanted to migrate because it means everything is done at the same time and its much cheaper.

---------

It gets a little bit more complicated with LLU, because if its fully unbundled then the phone line has to be moved too.  In these cases a MAC isnt always needed as the new ISP can use a LORN to tie together the PSTN and ADSL orders.  Use of a Simultaneous Provision ensures no tags are left on the line....   its mostly used for house moves, but the fully unbundled LLU process is basically the same.

It is slightly further complicated in Phil's case because he was not only moving from LLU to BTw based, but there was also a change of product ie FTTC.  Because FTTC is relatively new, I dont think all the creases have been ironed out yet when it comes to migration.

-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:11:56 AM »

Kitz can you elaborate on the LORN further? I mean it sounds like the OP has already actioned a cease on the line, could he have used LORN if thats for house moves?? im a bit confused lol...its not hard to confuse me hehe. ive never ever heard of anyone using LORN to move say from an LLU provider to BTW provider (as thats how I read your post)

icanbefound - it all depends on what you currently have and what your on at the exchange and to whom your going with, what they have in the exchange and what service your taking up as to what route/method you use...also whether or not your keeping both broadband & phone with one supplier or splitting them between two, you have LLu (Local Loop Unbundling - providers who have their own equipment in the exchange, moving between or from these dont require MAC's) and you have BTw (BT Wholesale - providers that re-sell from BT using BT's equipment, moving broadband between or from these require MAC's)
 - you can have
1) BTw phone + BTw broadband
2) BTw phone + LLu broadband
3) LLu phone + LLu broadband
you cant get LLu phone + BTw broadband as the LLU telcos that rent phone lines to you that they "own" wont allow another provider to supply broadband over it....so far anyway!

I had previously:
BTw Phone (BT) and LLu Broadband (o2)
I moved to Sky LLu for both, I had to use a MAC because I was moved onto BTw phone (sky) + LLu Broadband (sky) as sky sometimes (for whatever reason) move customers over to a BTw provisioned phone line before moving that phone line onto their own equipment, they did 4 weeks later as I got a letter saying I was being moved to SVBN (Sky Voice & Broadband Network) and when I checked (dial 17070) it was no longer a BTw PSTN line... so thats why I had to use a MAC, the swap remained over BTw line, had they been placing me directly onto their LLu for phone aswell I would not have required a MAC.

confusing you yet? hehe

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 07:28:39 AM »

There's a migration matrix over on TBB which explains this stuff snadge :

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »

thing is Rizla its partially incorrect (or missing data) - because if I put in my scenario (at bottom of the page) from moving from BT/o2 to Sky/Sky it goes on to say they wont need a MAC and thats not true as it depends if your going onto MPF or SMPF with sky... sky put me on SMPF first so they wanted a MAC, 4 weeks later they moved me onto MPF - apparently (according to users on Sky User) sky do this a lot... why I dunno? maybe to ease transfer with a MAC?? - probably more related to capacity availability?

Thanks for link though, will give it a proper read later as rushing out now :)
Pages: [1] 2

anything