Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: W7 or 8  (Read 21109 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
W7 or 8
« on: March 30, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »

I am replacing my 11 year old desk top and I need to decide which OS to use W7 or 8. 

I have not used either system so have no experience on which to base my decision. My supplier is recommending W7. 

Reports on W7 are generally good, those on W8 seem mixed.

Recommendations?

gom

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: W7 or 8
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »

It depends what you want. Are you into touchscreens and doing one thing at a time full-screen?
If so, Windows 8.
If you're happy with a "traditional" multi-tasking windows environment that works well, get Windows 7.

W8 has a lot of technical improvements but the UI is a total mess IMHO.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »

I'll back up what HP has said...

...  although Ive now set up quite a few win8 machines for other people and am now getting more used to it.

However if you are getting Win 8 I suggest you have a look at this thread.  Without doubt ClassicShell makes Win8 much more user friendly for users used to previous versions, and thanks to HP's initial suggestion... I now install it on all the win8 machines that Ive set up...  and also have recommended it to a few other win8 users. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

I do not at present have a touch screen.  I do however have a large screen which enables me to view for example two excel work sheets side by side. HP why do you suggest W7 is better for multi-tasking?

It would seem that many users do not like the W8 interface and are installing the classic screen. 

I have read the W8 is faster than W7.

gom

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »

HP

Thanks for link.  As I understand that article the way in which W8 allows you to use multiple programmes is different to that in W7 which is like XP  Without using W8 it is obviously difficult for me to assess, but I guess from your observation it is not as straightforward?

gom

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »

you can still multi-task in windows 8.. i think what the article is pointing out is that the main differences between windows 8 and windows 7 is that windows 8 GUI makes it a little awkward and slower to find your way about...that is until you get used to it.

when you login to windows 7 you arrive at the desktop, you have the start menu orb (start button) which when clicked reveals the start menu where you can access programs one the start menu or the 'all programs' list...

when you login to windows 8 your arrive at the new 'Start Screen' which is like a full screen star menu with large tiles (for touchscreen interface) for all your programs AND the desktop - there is no start button, you access all your programs on this start screen... when your on the desktop (by clicking the desktop tile) and you want to go back to the 'Start Screen' then you put your mouse pointer in the bottom left corner (where start button normally is) and click it, this reveals the 'Start Screen' - however (on desktop or start screen) if you put your mouse pointer there and right-click it shows a list of options such as Computer, Control Panel, Run, CMD, System ...so on and so forth..all the windows system tools you need.

while on the 'Desktop' and you want to open 'Computer' (My Computer) you can either just click the folder icon in the tray (same as windows 7) or right-click while in bottom left corner and choose "computer" (as explained before)

Windows 8 has the Start Screen optimized for touch screen devices with its 'tiles' - it also has the regular 'Control Panel' but also 'Settings' which has extra options not found in control panel - this is touch screen optimized too...

Windows 8 has few other features like charms bar and another side bar and methods that allow you to switch through opened programs and windows - it has a bit of a learning curve, some people loath it and/or not willing to learn it and see what its like... I like Windows 8 but heres what I dis-like about it:

1) it automatically logs in the last person to use the computer... this means if you have multiple user accounts and user B turns on the computer after User A was using it then it logs you straight into User A's account...!!! daft I know.. you click their icon in top right and can either log them out or log yourself in (while they are still logged in) , when I had win8 installed I used a reg hack to stop this from happening.

2) the shutdown button is a bit fiddly to find and get to I think, I created Shutdown/Sleep shortcuts for taskbar when I had it installed.

3) arriving at the start screen instead of desktop when logging in, this is going to be changed in coming update though, the user will soon have the option to choose.

personally my advice would be to stick with windows 7 as your used to that sort of setup..., or go into your local PC World and ask for a demo of Windows 8 - just use one of the computers and see what you think.

screens of windows 8 start screen:

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »

Not going near Win8, same as I didn't go near Vista.

Both Vista and Win8 had/have significant improvements "under the hood" when compared to previous versions but the UI was (and is on Win8) garbage.

Windows7 is rock solid. I reboot this laptop once a month (patch Tuesday) and the rest of the time it runs 24/7. All the other Win7 machines here (5) run fine, never crash - with the exception of one machine with one game (sometimes), not my machine or I'd have tracked it down but its probably AMD drivers and AA. Its not enough of an issue to even look at really.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »

>>> Win8 had/have significant improvements "under the hood" when compared to previous versions but the UI was (and is on Win8) garbage.
>>> Windows7 is rock solid.

I agree on both counts.  Most of the complaints about Win8 seem to be about the UI.  If people cant easily find or access what they want, then youve failed at what a GUI is supposed to be about.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »

that is true - you can set win8 up to use just like win7 though with the start menu apps and 'straight-to-desktop' tweaks, windows 8.1 has the option to go straight to desktop... personally i like win8 Task Manger and the theme - but I use Win7x64Pro - have been tempted to upgrade but havent yet - i have used it before when it was first released, the main reason then that i reverted back to win7 was because my favourite VST would not work on win8...but there has been an upgrade since
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »

win8 is also much more buggy than win7 so that has to be taken into account as well.

I would say unless you have a reason to use a win8 unique feature go with win7.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

win8 is also much more buggy than win7
I've neither seen or heard any evidence of that  :no: , what makes you think so?

As noted above "under the hood" it has many improvements over W7, it's only the UI that is a right PITA.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 02:57:21 AM »

win8 is also much more buggy than win7
I've neither seen or heard any evidence of that  :no: , what makes you think so?

As noted above "under the hood" it has many improvements over W7, it's only the UI that is a right PITA.

sorry I have written about the bugs (and missing features removed since win7) on many forums all over the internet, and its almost 3am so I wont write another list here.  If you have already made your mind up and consider the only difference to be the gui then go ahead and use it.

The marketing and win8 fanboys love to talk about these improvements but conveniantly skip over the cut features.

a list is here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/18b53644-6c6b-4d32-820a-53134a0913f3/features-and-configuration-options-removed-in-windows-8

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »

all over the internet, and its almost 3am so I wont write another list here. 
Unlikely we'll find it all, so a concise summary would be good.  ;)
And no I haven't "made my mind up" at all as you would know if you'd read my post on various forums "all over the internet"  ;D

However, I expect that the wider internet community will be far more interested in any lists of W8 bugs you've found than my uncrystallised views on how good it is compared to W7.  :graduate:

Plenty of changes (Marmite?), many improvements, lots of features now missing (as you say), but bugs I've seen or heard of very few.
A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways

consider the only difference to be the gui
I didn't say that, just that it was the only PITA in my opinion, other changes are also very unwelcome of course and others will think differently depending on what's important to them.  :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:53:29 AM by HPsauce »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »

Chrysalis link works fine for me and doesn't encourage me to use W8. I had enough trouble accepting W7 after XP!
Tony
Pages: [1] 2

anything