Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: server hosting with a dynamic IP address on FTTC  (Read 9296 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: server hosting with a dynamic IP address on FTTC
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »

Their business products still offer IP addresses as part of the package.

http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/

Although good, I can't find any FTTC offerings there, unless I'm missing something that is. Thanks though :).

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »

Sorry to divert the thread for moment but can Ixel say what support is like with BT business?  Is it UK based and is it helpful e.g. with line and DLM issues?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

Hmm they must do something...  because they allowed FTTC business users on the 80/20Mbps Trial.

I'll poke one of the PN reps to see if they can answer the above questions.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »

Sorry to divert the thread for moment but can Ixel say what support is like with BT business?  Is it UK based and is it helpful e.g. with line and DLM issues?

To briefly answer the question, so as to try and avoid off-topic discussion:
- BT Business's support is UK based.
- BT Business's support is probably helpful in most cases, I just didn't have much luck in my case.

Why do I say that? Because...
A while ago, for one morning, I experienced a terrible ping and timeout problems, after doing all the in-house testing that I could do and that the line sync was stable, I assumed it was a problem elsewhere. I waited a few hours and then decided to get the BT website to perform a test on my line, it found a problem somewhere on the BT network (I believe that's how it was worded, or similar to that at least). In a matter of two days, if I remember rightly, at the crack of dawn an engineer put one of those melody testers on the line (I can't remember their exact name), suffice to say it made me jump as I was not expecting an engineer. Anyway, he did a grand job to the best of his abilities in finding and mostly resolving a battery contact fault on my line, even though the original fault had gone. Before he left he noticed the line was capped at 60/20 and could achieve 80/20 easily, so he agreed to contact the special place that deals with a DLM reset request. Sadly he was unable to do so as he didn't have an OGEA number (I think?) which Black Sheep later pointed out he could've got from his laptop. So, I rung up BT Business, explained the situation and requested a DLM reset, suffice to say as far as they were concerned my line was achieving the estimate despite it being able to do more as it originally once did when it was first installed. To this day I've been stuck on 60/20 with no interleaving applied. I have tried various ways to try and budge DLM (e.g. many syncs) but it seems like my line is just frozen on 60/20 without interleaving. I've left it for what is probably months since and no change to date lol.

Hope that answers your questions, feel free to PM me to discuss further.

orbrey

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »

Hi, hope I'm addressing all the questions here, please let me know if I miss anything.

* Yes we can offer a static IP for a one off £5 charge on residential unlimited accounts (I believe on most legacy accounts it's also available).
* You can only get an IP block on a business account
* All our support is UK based (in Sheffield).
* We don't currently offer fibre on business products though this is something we're hoping to change.

The IP situation should improve as IPv6 use becomes more widespread, however I think we're a while away from that yet - especially given some online services will stick on IPv4 only for quite some time after this.

Hope that addresses everything, please let me know if not.
Kind regards, Matt Taylor
Plusnet Digital Care team
Pages: 1 [2]

anything