Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mobile phone celebrates 40th anniversary  (Read 4306 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Mobile phone celebrates 40th anniversary
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »

Have you got one of these new devices yet ?. ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22013228

My phone is a 'cam shell' (broken front screen, dented, scratched  :o) type and when I remember to turn it on when I go out it is used for making the odd phone call but more so taking photo's  :(
The last text took me about half an hour to do a few words to my wife and then she never replied so I do not send any texts now. :'(

Anybody have a phone ? what do you use yours for ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Mobile phone celebrates 40th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »

I'm still trying to get used to these new-fangled pushbutton diallers. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Anybody have a phone ? what do you use yours for ?.

I have this one

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-omnia-7-900360/review

I use it mainly for calls(due to my hearing difficulties) and surfing the internet,texting is very low on my list.The phone itself is excellent to use,the touch screen is very responsive,only downside is its Windows o/s.My contract is up for renewal end of May.I shall most likely get one with Android o/s.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:11:33 PM by UncleUB »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

Oh I have one them smart phones. It does everything like surfing, texting all that sort of thing. I'm darned if I can work out how to just make a phone call on it. I have searched and searched for the buttons marked A & B.  ::)
To be honest I'm like the rest of you guys, it's there for an emergency.
My pet hate is when someone asks me for the number, I mean I never, never ring myself self so I have to search all over the phone to find out what the number is. I wrote it down once but I can't find out where I put it.
I wonder if that fella that made the first call on one ever got a call back.
I do remember when they were like a house brick, a bloke came into my local with one and put it in the middle of the table. He kept looking at it expecting someone to call him on it. He had a long wait I can tell you.
Haven't we come a long way. ;D
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

I've had a mobile since the mid/late 90s..(96) iirc. Mostly because at that time I would be visiting different branches/clients and also it made me feel safer when travelling between Leeds and home, which I quite often used to have to do.

It wasn't a brick but it was quite a bit bigger than they these days.   I seldom used the text as there wasn't really anyone else to text so I only ever used it for the phone to landline...  Aside from the fact it used to cost the earth to phone someone who was on a different network to you.

To this day despite having a smart phone, it's still mostly used as a phone, although I do text, take photos, use sat nav and a few other apps etc.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »

Talking about a brick, do you remember when there was a spare battery that one could get. It was charged up in the car and because the phone battery only lasted a very short time the handset was clipped onto the spare battery. The battery was quite a bit bigger than a brick. It had a carrying handle it was that big.
I remember when I got my first pocket sized phone, they were rather large pockets, it cost 50p per call just to connect.
Eeee! them were the days.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »

Eh, telephones!

Originally it would sit on a table, in all its glory, in the front parlour. Then, at a later date, the hallway was deemed to be the better location.  ::)

Here's mine --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything