Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which CPU is this? What CPU can my motherboard take? 2 useful sites  (Read 5499 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog

I mentioned one of these sites in another posting, thought I'd put them here in case they were of use to others.  These two sites are my 1st call when I want to know about processors and motherboard compatibility.

If you've got a motherboard and want to find what processor upgrade is supported by it, this site has many popular (and older) motherboards, and a list of supported CPUs for that board.  For older boards, I use it to see what the fastest CPU a board will support, then locate one on ebay, often for just a few pounds.  Easy, cheap upgrade!

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/index.html

This other site allows you to find out exact details about many different processors, AMD and Intel.  It's particularly useful because you may well find, for example, that a motherboard will support an AMD Athlon 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core but not an AMD Athlon 2000+ with a Barton core.  Clearly, then, just buying an "AMD Athlon XP 2000+" will be a gamble.  This site will help you find the exact part number, which you can then locate in your box of bits or on ebay.

http://www.cpu-world.com/index.html  Just type the details you know into the "find part" search box and follow the links for more information than you could ever possibly want!

Hope this is useful

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Which CPU is this? What CPU can my motherboard take? 2 useful sites
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »

Thanks for those links. I've encountered this problem before, so those links will help me make sure I don't encounter it again.
  Eric

anything