Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Typing jumps around the page  (Read 13562 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Typing jumps around the page
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »

It may be the sensitivity of the touchpad.  You should be able to adjust this.

http://www.enetcomputers.net/how/39-computers/howdoi/69-how-do-i-change-touchpad-sensitivity-on-my-laptop

Theres a few laptops that Ive set up for others that have been a bit so sensitive and easily caught when typing.   

For one person I turned the touchpad off completely and got them one of these.  The usb dongle is very  tiny and doesnt interfere with normal use of the laptop.  Ive bought a couple of those now on behalf of people who have a new laptop.

If youve previously been used to a normal keyboard, it can be very easy to accidentally swipe the touchpad when typing.   In the case of the above, he much preferred using a mouse to the touchpad anyhow.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »

Agreed, the touchpad/mouse would be my first suspect.

A separate mouse (wired or wireless) is a huge improvement over touchpad but even then I've found them (mice) vulnerable to phantom clicks, or phantom scrolling, causing the cursor to 'jump around', among other symptoms.

Worst was a cheap Tesco USB mouse. When dismantled, it turned out the scroll wheel depended on a flimsy wiper making contact with dimples on a spinning disc;  hardly surprising it only worked for a few days before developing a mind of its own. ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »

Worst was a cheap Tesco USB mouse. When dismantled, it turned out the scroll wheel depended on a flimsy wiper making contact with dimples on a spinning disc;  hardly surprising it only worked for a few days before developing a mind of its own. ???

Ah yes. I had one of those. It worked for just over the hour and then the scroll-wheel collapsed. Needless to say it was taken back to the store (in disgrace) the very next day. The purchase price was refunded without any comment. Then I saw a big box of those mice that had already been returned . . . to which another one was then added! Not one of Tesco's finest products, me thinks!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

krysia

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »

thanks guys  have already been into the mouse properties to alter boxes....no where it mentions touchpad to see to the sensativity or turn it off,,only mentions mouse properties /actions
its the same mouse i used with my last laptop..never used touchpad with that either..never had a problem

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 08:08:20 AM »

On my N140 samsung netbook..........

You needed to hunt to find the sensitivity
Win Xp this was
Control panel
Mouse properties
Final end tab synaptics mouse driver properties
then of the endless list of various options involving swipe/drop edged zone on the pad I chose "advanced"
and somewhere in there finally was a setting for sensitivity
There was also a note there that humidity affected the sensitivity of the pad

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »

First of all, my original problem reared it's ugly head once more a couple of weeks ago but eventually "again" seemed to cure itself.

I did have to re-ghost my HDD because of suspected virus/malware problems so it's possible I re-introduced the cursor problem from a earlier time and maybe a MS update cured it. (I don't know)

But as before it has cured it self "again" and the cursor is as it should be.

My system with the problem is Windows XP, I believe Krysia's system is Windows 7, on a DELL Laptop, (I think there was mention of a dual Keyboard) but that might only have been the shop saying the keyboard can be configured in different languages.

But either way the only common factor is MS WINDOWS and as the problem has effected different versions, maybe try updating windows.

Edit.

The touch-pad on my laptop is deactivated as I always use a normal USB mouse, when I had the problem I tried various combinations of mouse /keypad but at the time it made no difference, basically I can't see it being a sensitivity problem, because the cursor insertion point would jump to a different location even when typing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:20:09 PM by oldfogy »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »

Ok, just another little update on the same problem which has happened another couple of times.

As before my touch-pad is disabled as I use a normal 2 button mouse with wheel.

This time when the problem started I noticed the small circular icon on the desktop which normally appears when the mouse-wheel is pressed and is used for scrolling, but I had not pressed the mouse-wheel.
Another anomaly was the mouse pointer very slowly drifting across the screen even when not being touched or used, (which actually has been happening for a looong time.

So from within 'Device Manager' I DELETED the mouse then restarted the computer (I prefer to re-start and not just scan for changes) allowing the mouse to re-install with the default driver and settings (which is what I have always done) and the problem instantly went away.

So at least on this occasion which also actually makes sense, it appears to be a corrupt mouse driver that causes/caused the problem.

Lets just hope that is now the solution or hopefully the end of the problem, well lets face it, it has been a couple of years, but hopefully we now have a cure/solution.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »

>>> mouse pointer slowly drifting across the screen.

Heh I've seen this happen in a few machines too.

As regard to drivers issue I strongly suspect there is something wrong with the latest Logitech keyboard/mouse drivers.

My pc has been poorly since I updated a bunch of drivers a couple of months ago.  Unfortunately I did a load of them at the same time so I've yet been unable to isolate them all and a rollback didn't work.  But one of the things that I have tracked down for sure is that the Logitech drivers software stops my pc from being able to automatically open files with their associated program's. 

Ie click on a .jpg file and my graphic editing software won't open and the system hangs.  Click a spreadsheet and the pc slows right down using all resources but the spreadsheet won't open.   Yet all the program's will open fine from their exe files.

This is definitely Logitech related because if I remove all the Logitech software there's no problems with any files.  I've repeated the install uninstall many times to know it is that.   Unfortunately I've not yet found an old version to put back on, so any of the advanced mouse/keyboard functions no longer work.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »

Kttz, don't know if this is exactly what you want but this is the latest version of Logitech SetPoint. Older versions are available from the same page :=

http://www.filehippo.com/download_logitech_setpoint/tech/

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure mine is not a Logitech problem as it's a 'KensingtonPocket Pro' but I have had the same problem again this/last week and again removed the mouse, re-booted and things seem to be working as they should'

I suppose one blessing is it only seems to happen when typing on the internet, but as I have since discovered using windows write to pre-type any documents also has a drawback in as far as when copied and pasted each line then has a space between each line which then has to be removed................................ damn, just loomped into thIit e ked up and my typing had ju

YES, it's still doing it, so there just does not seem to be a solution, although I did remove/unplug the mouse yesterday and the problem never happened, so I just don't know how to so, just unplugged my mouse NOW and am waiting to see if it still happens, obviously ""yes still happening"" so I'm giving up for now.

Maybe I'll start using my Windows7 drive instead of XP and see if that helps.
Will let you know.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »

Kttz, don't know if this is exactly what you want but this is the latest version of Logitech SetPoint. Older versions are available from the same page :=

http://www.filehippo.com/download_logitech_setpoint/tech/

Thank you JGO.   It was 6.61.15 that I installed which broke everything.   
The links on that page to the old versions are just what I need.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:34:12 PM by kitz »
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:17 PM »

Hope you don't mind me using this as a test post, but I am now using my Win7 OS on my dual boot system and although not much has been typed so far it seems to be ok, but one problem is sometimes it goes like that for days or even weeks then all of a sudden plays up.

But again at the moment nothing seems to be going wrong, but I suppose that's sods law.

Usually if it's going to play up it's usually started by now, so again it seems to confirm my original thought of it being driver problem on my XP system.

At least now possibly instead of thinking about all the bad things I could do to the PC like throwing it through the window, or then again maybe a format and clean install before MS cut off the updates (April I think) might be the way forward.

So please forgive my ranting but I have no other way of testing.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »

Just a update on this problem.

For a good while I haven't been suffering with the problem.
But I think I may of discovered what was causing the problem.

For a long time I have had my 'Belkin Bluetooth Widcomm' software disabled in the startup and have not had any problems, however since re-enabling it a couple of days ago the problem returned, I did disable it again and again the problem came back, so the culprit seems to be the Belkin software.

Hope this may be helpful to anyone still suffering the same problem.

EDIT:

Probably the reason the problem was not effecting me in my Win7 drive as per post above, may be because I'm pretty sure the Belkin software is not installed on that drive.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:33:40 PM by oldfogy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »

Glad you found out what it was.   Thank you for letting us know :)
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »

No problem.

It now also starts to make even more sense, because now I can track back and as my original post sort of refers to the fact it started not long after buying this laptop which did not have bluetooth capabilities so I bought a USB bluetooth device, and the other reason why the problem never happened all of the time would be because either the USB device was unplugged or the software disabled, which then obviously made it harder to track down without realising it only happened after the Belkin software was enabled and with using Ghost backups quite frequently it was obviously being activated at times without realising it, hence not being able to pin-point the rogue driver/software.
Prior to buying this laptop I never had the problem, but also had never bothered with bluetooth either.

Obviously I don't expect this is the same cause for everyone with this problem, but at least it might be a starting point to tracking down the culprit responsible,
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything