Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Typing jumps around the page  (Read 13604 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Typing jumps around the page
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

I know this was discussed not long ago but I can neither find the thread or remember if there was any answer to the problem, I know at the time the problem for myself just seemed to go away and the problem stopped, but the last few days it's come back again, although typing this post so-far there has been no problem,,,, yet.

The problem is that when typing the courser may jump back into the middle of any of the previous text thus making it almost unreadable, so it almost means having to check every word on screen is where it should be and for a none tothat is not a uch typist

I was going to say, and for 'a none touch typist that is almost impossible', but you can see at the end of the last sentence what happened, actually it also happened again, so I now need to go back and recheck the whole of this post to find my missing letters.

Apart from Java Scrip update there has only been MS updates, so I can't think of anything else I may have done that has reactivated the problem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Typing jumps around the page
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »

Does this behaviour occur whatever you're typing, or only in forums, or what?
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »

I don't do much typing nowadays except small notes using notepad and have not noticed it there so am going to say it only happens in forums.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »

>> Seems to be related to an update according to this

Thanks for finding that, now at least I know it's not just a localised happening.

Yes it seems that way, unfortunately I think I have already tried most if not all of the suggestions that were given over on that site, "but it just happened again" so there does not appear to be a once-and- for-all fix so nothing seems to work to resolve it, maybe and hopefully as with the last time it just seemed to go away on it's own because unfortunately I do not have a backup going back to 2009, but then again the laptop is only 2 years 2 months old. (Christmas present to myself December 2011)

Although I don't use the touch-pad and for most of the time it's actually turned of but I will try removing and reinstalling the driver to see if that might help just in case it's a driver conflict.

Three 4 times it's happened and that's just with this one post, so it probably took at least four times longer with having to keep going back to make corrections.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »

Well just a update with my cursor/text jumping problem.

I was not been able to find any positive solutions and no updates of any sort solved the problem either, yes there are plenty of 'worked for me' and 'try this' suggestions but none of which actually stopped the problem, but, for the last few days the problem has once again gone away all on it's own.

I'm saying nothing I tried had any effect or residual effect because the last thing I did was to re-ghost (restored) my HDD even though the problem was still happening on the newly ghosted HDD, so nothing I had done could have had any effect.

So it seems if anyone else suffers from the dreaded jumping text/cursor problem, it seems to cure itself after a few days, so just persevere for a few days and hope for the best.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »

I am glad that even if you didn't know the cause, at least the problem has righted itself  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »

Allegedly according to people from the link above the cause is down to a Microsoft update 'from 2008' but as this is not the first time it has happened in the last couple of years I'm not going to overly worry about it by doing a fresh install and then checking every update for the number/s that people were suggesting were the cause of the problem, and lets face it, there are that many updates that even by accident it could be possible to miss the suggested update so apart from a lot of effort and a fresh install it might not achieve anything.

Although I still have my doubts as to whether Java had any part in the problem, mainly because I remember Java updated just before the problem started again, but TBH I doubt if we will ever get to know the true cause or even what resolved the problem.

So that's about it and many thanks again for your help.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »

Can I ask - what is your hardware set up? Are you using a wireless mouse and/or keyboard?

Regards BBN

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »

No wireless devices of any kind are being used.

It's a Asus K72F Laptop/Notebook with standard keyboard but with a USB Kensington mouse with the touchpad disabled.
Operating system is standard XP without any kind of modifications and internet connection is via RJ45 connection.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »

I asked the question because I experienced similar problems using a wireless microsoft keyboard and mouse with my new HP AMD desktop running Windows 7. It got so bad I replaced the wireless devices with wired devices and that cured it.

But curiously, the wireless keyboard and mouse work just fine with my old Dell desktop running XP.

Could this link be relevant? Could the touchpad not be fully disabled?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182611-sony-vaio-laptop-cursor-random-movement-workaround.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:34:56 PM by bbnovice »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

Thanks but that was also a similar solution that was also advised in Kitz's earlier link/post.
But like I said, I'm not going to keep now trying to cure something that has already cured itself, mainly because as it has stopped playing up and no matter what I do I wouldn't know if I was actually doing anything as I have now no problem to compare any attempts to.

But many thanks for the input and if/when it rears it's ugly head again then I will try it then.

krysia

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

yes its a general
common
froblem it seems..my pc is only a few weeks old......as some of you knohisw i have slowley learnt how to use it thanks to peeps on here but thiled a curem is so frustrating
i nees prob

as you can see from above which i am not going to correct...i need a cure for this...i ha and yes i have tried all checking and unchecking of boxes...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »

Hi Krysia

Can you confirm that its a PC and not a laptop that you have.

If its a PC, do you have a wireless keyboard?
-----

krysia

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »

sorry , yes its a laptop but its used on a desk...connected to the mains,,battery out mouse usb connection

im typing this with one finger poised upright and watching every letter as it hits the screen ,so hopefully no mistakes !!!    :D
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything