Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Infinity installation, slight concern regarding filter  (Read 7038 times)

edward

New Infinity installation, slight concern regarding filter
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »

Had Infinity installed a few days ago, and the Openreach engineer left in place an ADSLNation filter on the first NTE5 where the line enters the house. There is a phone extension wired off this filter, and the unfiltered route from it goes to another room and to another NTE5 which is where the ADSL modem/router were, and where the new Infinity faceplate and modem have been fitted.

This installation was fine for ADSL, what about Infinity though?

It's convenient that it was done this way, though the house is on a long route (800m-900m), from the CAB, and I'm now wondering if this older (though good quality), ADSL filter on the first NTE5 is going to drag down the signal quality in any meaningful way? From reading posts on here I know its not the recommended way, though would it likely degrade the signal enough to matter, or is the only way to answer that to remove it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New Infinity installation, slight concern regarding filter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »

Hello Edward and welcome to the Kitz fora.

Was it a true Openreach engineer who performed the installation? Or was it a sub-contractor (Kelly Communications or M J Quinn) who was working for Openreach?

Any installation that has two NTPs connected across the pair is a defective installation. Are you absolutely sure that it is a second NTE5/A in the 'other room'?

Could you please photograph the relevant sockets and then make the images available for viewing? Having sight of them will allow us to advise you appropriately.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:02:32 AM »

Perhaps BS could confirm if it is a mandatory change to install the new SSFP on a VDSL Installation ?

If that had been done there are a pair of terminals specifically included for a VDSL modem extension.
If a line is under-performing, I prefer to install the Openreach modem directly beside the SSFP master socket and then run a longer ethernet cable to a convenient point for the router.

Kind regards,
Walter

edward

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:47 AM »

Thank you for the welcome and advice.

The line comes into the house through the wall into the first NTE5 with the ADSLNation filtered faceplate, see first pic.

The unfiltered feed from that goes to another room where the second NTE5 was, and now looks like this, see pic 2 The NTE5 which was here he removed and replaced it with what you can see in pic2. You are right to ask, I don't know what this is called.

The installation was done by an OR engineer, though he was still training and this was his first job unsupervised, his 'buddy' was en-route from another city and this being the first job of the day he ended up doing it unsupervised.

EDIT: Just to say I only believe he was an OR engineer, he wore an OR jacket, and talked as if he were employed, though thinking back he didn't actually say so, in which case I have to say I'm not 100% sure now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:32:28 AM by edward »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »

Hi Edward,

As BKK has said your installation is definitely defective.
I hope I can convince you of the significant improvement in some cases in the following example after Walter's wheelbarrow has been in attendance.
I have had similar results on another three installations, but I won't bore you with the required pantomime with "Our proud guardians".

BEFORE WITH TWO NTE5 SKTS IN SERIES, BOTH WITH RING WIRES ATTACHED.
CORRECT SSFP FILTER FITTED TO 2ND SKT WITH MODEM

Max:   Upstream rate = 7772 Kbps, Downstream rate = 18800 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 2000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9999 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:       7772 kbps         18800 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        6.1 dBm          10.6 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):    5.2    51.9    66.2     N/A    22.4    62.7    0.1   
Signal Attenuation(dB):    5.2    51.7     N/A     N/A    22.4    62.7     N/A   
        SNR Margin(dB):    17.8    18.7     N/A     N/A    9.1    9.2     N/A   
         TX Power(dBm):   -4.6    5.8     N/A     N/A    10.4   -2.3     N/A

AFTER WITH SSFP & MODEM CORRECTLY ON 1ST SKT.
(ROUTER CONNECTED WITH LONG ETHERNET CABLE.)

Max:   Upstream rate = 7846 Kbps, Downstream rate = 28672 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 7893 Kbps, Downstream rate = 26068 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:       7846 kbps         28672 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        6.4 dBm          11.4 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):    5.2    50.7    65.3     N/A    22.2    62.1    0.1   
Signal Attenuation(dB):    5.2    50.5     N/A     N/A    22.2    62.1     N/A   
        SNR Margin(dB):    6.0    6.0     N/A     N/A    4.8    3.3     N/A   
         TX Power(dBm):   -3.6    6.0     N/A     N/A    11.2    2.1     N/A   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »

Does the '1st socket' (The one with the ADSL Nation frontplate) still have a dial tone ??

A couple of scenario's could have taken place, whereby the engineer has crimped the 'feed' through at the back of the 1st socket, thus making the 2nd socket the actual 'Master'.
If the 1st socket still has dial tone, he may have 'backfed' the DT down a spare pair of wires within the cable ??

The key here is, did you notice whether he opened the 1st socket ??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:43:17 AM »

We really now need Edward to remove the screws holding the ADSLNation centralised filter to the first NTE5/A across the pair and photograph what is currently connected to the IDCs, along with anything visible 'through the hole' in the lower front of the NTE5/A.

I have a good idea how the premises were wired before the Beattie Infinity installation took place. The incoming service cable is terminated at the flush-fitted NTE5/A. The ADSLNation centralised filter was fitted and the telephone sockets were run from the relevant IDCs. From the unfiltered pair of IDCs, a separated cable was run to the 'other room' where a surface mounted RJ45 or RJ11 socket was fitted. The ADSL2+ modem/router was connected via that socket and the LAN connections were made via the Cat5e supplied sockets.

If we look closely at the second photograph, we see that post-Infinity installation a surface mount backing box has been fitted to the original surface mount backing box which held the original RJ45 or RJ11 socket. To the latter backing box, another NTE5/A has been fitted and that is being supplied by the unfiltered pair originating from the ADSLNation centralised filter. Finally a SSFP has been fitted to the second NTE5/A to provide the xDSL feed to the active CPE (the VDSL2 modem).

I suspect that as the installer was a new Openreach recruit / trainee, who did not have his mentor / coach in attendance, the circuit has been left as supposed, above.  :-X

My feeling is that the ADSLNation centralised filter should have been removed, the SSFP fitted in its place and the data extension cable run to the 'other room', making use of the pre-existing RJ45 or RJ11 socket.  :)

However, until we can see 'what's what', everything is currently speculative.  :-\

Of course if Edward either lives in Surrey or near BSE in Suffolk, then Walter & his 'wheelbarrow' or b*cat & his 'what-nots' could attend to correct this (mis-)installation.  ;)

edward

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »

First off thank you for the most informative and comprehensive replies. I'll try to answer your questions.

A bit of background. When we moved in the previous owners had two phone lines, one terminated where the ADSLNAtion is now, and the other line in the study, where Infinity is now installed. After we moved in we wanted just one line, BT came to remove some ISDN socket (or something, I can't remember what exactly), that was on the second line in the studu. The upshot was we ended up with one phone line and two NTE5 sockets that were both live, so were connected in parallel across the line.

Fast forward to ADSL. It was self install ADSL, the modem was put in the second NTE5 location in the study. The line was a long distance from the exchange and picked up a lot of RF interference at night, so I fitted the ADSLNation face plate to the first NTE5, and fed the second NTE5 with the unfiltered output, and at the same time fed the one  RJ11 phone socket, in the lounge from the filtered output. It did away with dangly filters and the blurb said it was a better filter for longer lines.

Fast forward to Infinity, the engineer didn't look at the ADSLNation faceplate, he was shown the study where the ADSL modem was was, saw it was plugged into a 'BT logo' NTE5 and without looking anywhere else fitted it as you can see in the pic.

And here we are.

The ADSLNation is still live, it feeds the one phone socket in the lounge as well as the study, I've added pic3 to show its location better, it would be so inconvenient to have the Infinity socket there, and I don't think Mrs Edward would allow a dangly wire from it, to round the corner somehow into the lounge.

I think the best solution is to remove first NTE5, crimp the incoming to the cable that goes up to feed the Infinity socket where it is in the study, use a spare pair in that cable (3 pairs in it), to return the filtered output back down to the hallway and crimp to the wires that feed the phone socket in the lounge. How does that sound? All can be done in the recessed socket where ADSLNation is now, then put a blank cover on it.

You asked for a pic behind the ADSLNation, I can't just now, it would cut the phone and Internet off, but I can assure you it is just as described above. I've also added a pic of the NTE5 removed from the study to make way for the Infinity faceplate.

It's an amazing offer to pop round with the barrow, sadly I'm in Leicestershire, or pints would have been on me. I'm so reluctant to bring this to the attention of BT, and would much rather be in control of what happens...if you are passing by this way any time soon, I'll gladly take you and whoever is with you out for lunch, we are in the heart of the country some very nice places to visit  :)

Hope that all makes sense.

PS Edited to add some line stats.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:53:03 AM by edward »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »

Aha, that's a more comprehensive outline Ed.

My advice ? Ring your ISP, explain exactly what's happened and that you want an OR re-visit asap. Messing with the monopolised wiring, although simple, is not really the best course of action.

This is not just aimed at your goodself, but anybody reading the thread. I've had one EU who removed the Master Socket on a DLI (Direct Line In). These feeds were lain in the ground and the houses built on top the said cables, circa 1960/70's.
Anyhows, after removing the Master Socket, he accidentally snapped one of the wires right at the neck of the incoming feed. There was no way of getting any purchase to crimp and extend the wire, so we had to then feed his premises by an alternative method. A lot of cash involved.

The chances of that happening to you Ed, are probably in the very low percentages, but if you want a 100% guarantee of no potential charges, ring your ISP. You have a rock solid case. :)

edward

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

Thanks, that is the best advise, its appreciated. Hopefully on the revisit I'll get an experienced engineer who can see how to put it right.

Your help and insight here is invaluable.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »

I shall heartily endorse Black Sheep's advice, Edward, because:
  • He is our very own serving Openreach technician (with considerable knowledge to share).
  • It is a defective installation, which Openreach will correct.
Your suggestion of removing the first NTE5/A, crimping various pairs as appropriate and adding a blanking plate would have been my suggestion.  ;)

I suspect that an Eagle (type Bald) analysis of how your line is currently performing will soon be forthcoming.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:33:20 PM by burakkucat »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »

Hi Edward,

I too believe the venerable BS has suggested the optimum solution.

Having been caught out twice in four such incidents might I also suggest you enquire of the departing OR engineer whether the DLM will be reset automatically or is a reminder a prudent request ? Perhaps BS could confirm the precise terminology his colleague would expect ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »

Aw shucks, you guys .....  :blush:

A good point raised by Walter, about having the DLM reset after remedial work is completed. As regards the correct terminology ?? I would word it pretty much as that, or maybe 'A circuit reset' ??
It's a flip of a coin whether this will be understood, as Ed may end up with another noobie ?? Blame the training, not the individual.  ;) ;D 

edward

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »

I'm taking everything in you are all saying, the only concern is who will be doing the work on the revisit, I'll just have to take that as it comes.

Another question, I read that voice and data shouldn't be combined in the same cable, (although it is already combined pre filter?), so I'm thinking it would be better for me to run another cable between the two locations for the return voice rather than use a spare pair in the existing cable. I can do this before the revisit, and take time to have it routed where we want (ran carefully outside it could be almost unnoticeable), rather than have it done for us on the day, if that's what the engineer decides has to be done.

Regarding a line reset, I was wondering that, and suppose it will depend how much changes when this is put right. I'm surprised though, on Infinity day + 6, to still be getting almost the same speed when tested (29.55/5.5 and now 28.31/5.5). I'm not going to say anything else yet, as I'm not tempting fate.

I know you are really advising me to do this through the ISP, is paying a local independent Telecom Engineer such a bad thing? The benefit being I stay more in control of what happens, its not such a difficult job, straightforward for a 'proper qualified experienced engineer', and I don't mind if the cost is reasonable. I know there is a risk of getting a 'cowboy', though assuming I find a 'good guy' I'd rather. The downside being if it makes a big improvement a line reset would be harder to initiate.

Being retired does give you loads of time to think about things!

(Edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:38:31 AM by edward »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »

I have had one sudden thought. As Edward has clearly stated, we are talking about a new Infinity installation. As that fact sinks into the overworked grey-matter, we realise that the ISP/CP in question is, thus, Beattie Retail herself!  :P  Now the 'Oh dear' moment . . . We all know how difficult it is to attempt to communicate with that Communication Provider's CS Department (Beattie India) with regards to anything remotely technical and not covered by their scripts.  :-X

Clearly we do not advocate DIY work but I suspect that a certain number of us would 'right the wrongs' ourselves purely due to the almost impossible task of having a correct work request being booked (with Openreach) via Beattie Retail:no:  I will therefore make a 'midway' suggestion. Take a look in the classified advertisements section of your local paper for a retired Openreach/British Telecommunications/Post Office Telecommunications/General Post Office Telecommunications Engineer who offers his services to the public. Employ a 'good' one and you will have a far better job done than with a current Openreach new recruit / trainee. (Just as Black Sheep has previously stated, that is not a criticism of the new recruits / trainees but of the process.)  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:40:51 PM by burakkucat »

Pages: [1] 2