Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT HomeHub 3 for 50p  (Read 26638 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: BT HomeHub 3 for 50p
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 07:37:14 AM »

That was addressed at you, bk. thank you for an excellent response. I must admit that I misread your post; I saw 'BH3.0' as 'HH3.0'.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »

BT Switching Power Supply
Model No: S012NB1200100
P/N: 253371437
Input: 230V~50Hz 300mA
Output: 12.0V==1000mA
For use with BT Home Hub 3.0 Type A

I can confirm that the centre pin is the positive connection on the Hub.

Measuring the PSU plug, to the best of my ability, I make its dimensions to be 12 x 5 x 2.1 mm. (L x Douter x Dinner)

Great, thanks for that!  I'll go and find / order the correct plug a bit later.

I quite like the idea of having a set of multiple sized adaptors, I've seen several on ebay that include a master power plug on a wire and then 20 - 24 different adaptors that sit over it to provide a multitude of sizes to fit modems, routers, even laptops.  But even the ones from China are priced around £12!

Still considering the cost vs the usefulness!

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »

• BT HH3.0B == British Telecommunications Home Hub 3.0 Type B
  • BT BH3.0 == British Telecommunications Business Hub 3.0
  • BT HH3.0A == British Telecommunications Home Hub 3.0 Type A
I am led to believe that the second item in the above list is identical to the third item but with a different firmware image. Firmware that is more appropriate for the business use of the device.

This (attachment) is what my 50p HH 3 says on it's label, wonder which type it is then?

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »

This (attachment) is what my 50p HH 3 says on it's label, wonder which type it is then?

From the bold text on the first line of your image, I would humbly suggest that it is one of the third type from my list!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »

From the bold text on the first line of your image, I would humbly suggest that it is one of the third type from my list!  ::)

I'd misread your list and thought there were two that actually said "Type A" on them!   :-[

Ian (who's struggling to find a 5mm DC power jack for sale!  They're all the much more popular 5.5mm, which doesn't fit)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »

is it not the 5.5 x 2.5mm (as opposed to the more common 5.5 x 2.1mm)? i.e. with a centre pin that is 0.4mm wider?  And so far as I know, all models of the BT Hub (Business, and Home ) require 12v DC.

cheers, a

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »

is it not the 5.5 x 2.5mm (as opposed to the more common 5.5 x 2.1mm)? i.e. with a centre pin that is 0.4mm wider?

It could be, I suppose. When I measured the plug, it was with the use of an ordinary ruler.  :-\

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »

At least for me, the two connectors -- 5.5 x 2.1mm and 5.5 x 2.5mm --  are very hard to distinguish with the naked eye.

It's not intuitive, but the 5.5 x 2.5 plug will fit - albeit with a bit of a wobble - in a 5.5 x 2.1 socket.

However,  the connectors won't fit the other way around:

A 5.5 x 2.1mm plug won't fit in a 5.5 x 2.5mm socket.  The centre pin of the socket is just too big.

cheers a

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »

The PSU for my TP-Link modem, and for an old TalkTalk Huawei EchoLife HG520b, won't fit - it's too large, though I couldn't say if it's the outer or inner that's preventing it from plugging in.

Short term, it doesn't matter - I've opened the thing up now, and will be tacking some wires to the pins of the power socket very shortly.  I intend to run it from an old PC PSU for the time being while I test it and determine if it's worth keeping.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »

.... or I would be connecting it to an old PC PSU if I had one that actually output something near 12 volts!

Just tried 3 (admittedly old ones, with mechanical mains-voltage on/off switches) and all 3 are giving 10 or 11 volts, rising a little under load but the best I can get is 11.5 volt.

If I'm testing, and potentially reflashing the firmware, on this modem, Id rather have a PSU I can rely on!

:(

Ian

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »

BTSimonH, PsiDoc and friends found UART points on that device.  Nightmare to solder the wires though.  Not being the daintiest person, I fried two and gave up!  Ended up giving them to a cat charity shop (only joking!)

cheers, a
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:18:44 PM by asbokid »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »

The point where the power-supply socket is soldered on the board has fat lugs so it won't be hard to tack a couple of wires on there, especially if it's only going to be temporary.

Meanwhile, having tried all my old mechanical switched PC Power Supplies, and several ATX ones, I've given up with that plan for now - I was intending to find an old but working one and snip one of the Molex plugs off and use the 12volt from that.  But only 1 of them was giving 12 volts on the 12volt wires, and that was a brand new one, which I don't want to start cutting up.

So, my forthcoming plans are :

1) Scour some charity shops for 12 volt 1amp wall plug PSUs with any type of plug on them that I can cut off
2) Test all of my growing number of ATX and older PSUs and get rid of the ones that don't output the right voltage!

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »

At least for me, the two connectors -- 5.5 x 2.1mm and 5.5 x 2.5mm --  are very hard to distinguish with the naked eye.

I've had another quick grummage in my grotto. Out came the BT BH3.0 with its official PSU labelled for a BT HH3.0A, a Huawei HG612 (3B version with the correct, white, PSU) and an ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev. B with its original PSU.

In terms of plug length, the BT HH3.0A is the longest of them all, then the Huawei and finally the ECI is the shortest.

In terms of plug diameterouter the three were compared by offering them up, end to end and considered both visually & by feel. No difference was noticed.

In terms of plug diameterinner the three were compared visually. That of the BT HH3.0A was clearly of a larger diameter than that of the Huawei HG612.

So my conclusion is that the BT HH3.0A and the BT BH3.0 both take a PSU plug sized as 12 x 5.5 x 2.5 mm. (L x Douter x Dinner)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »

A quick scout around the local charity shops again today, and I ended up once more in the Cats Protection League shop.

I got two power adaptors for 50p each.

One is 6 volt, but appears to have the right sized plug on it
The other is 12 volt 1.5 amp and has a very small plug on it.

You see my plan?

However...

Upon getting them home, I now realise

The plug that looks the right size isn't

and

The 12 volt 1.5 Amp PSU is AC not DC. *

Gah!

Ian

* I WAS checking, I rejected two because they were AC.  I somehow wasn't paying attention when I picked this one up.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

Well at least the Kitty-shop has received a financial donation from yourself. You could complete that donation circle by re-donating the two PSUs that you have only just purchased!  :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3