Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Norwegian Wood  (Read 5738 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Norwegian Wood
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »

Yesterday, I read a story on the BBC website that Norway's National Broadcaster was putting on a programme of 12 hours watching a wood fire burn, though it also explained that this would be interspersed with music and poetry.  I spun my satellite dish around to find the station (NRK), but couldn't find wood burning in the programme listings  :'(

Because it ha dalready been on, the night before!  >:(

But a bit of Googling found NRK's version of iPlayer, which allows international access to at least some of their programming, including the log fire thing.

And what fascinating viewing!  The news story was a bit misleading.  The programming started at 8pm, and ran until 8am the next morning.  However, from 8pm until midnight, it was a presenter led programme showing you all sorts of things to do with log fires - chopping wood, saving energy, musical saw playing, log stacking competitions, how to cut a large log with a chainsaw so that you can burn just the log and make a cup of tea. 

Then, at midnight, it turned into a view of a burning log fire until 8am, but with various different pieces of music played over it (onscreen titles).

I don't speak a word of Norwegian, and unlike German or French, where you can pick up the odd common ancester word, this seemed really impenetrable.  Despite that, I watched most of the first 2 hours - finding it utterly fascinating!  (your view may vary)

Anyway, if you want to dip in and have a look, it's split into various parts on their NRK player site :

Nasjonal vedkveld 15 Feb 2013 20:05 - 00:00 split into 2 x 2 hour parts
http://tv.nrk.no/serie/nasjonal-vedkveld/dvnr30003513/15-02-2013

Nasjonal vednatt 16 Feb 2013 00:00 - 06:00 , split into 3 x 2 hour parts
http://tv.nrk.no/serie/nasjonal-vedkveld/dvnr30003613/16-02-2013

Nasjonal vedmorgen 16 Feb 2013 06:00 - 08:00, which is only 1 x 2 hour part.
http://tv.nrk.no/serie/nasjonal-vedkveld/dvnr30003713/16-02-2013

You might also note the genuinely high quality of the picture - their satellite channel (which isn't even HD) is similar.  My 2Ghz dual core XP machine struggled with the video, though my 3 Ghz dual core Windows 7 machine displayed it happily in full screen.

Happy viewing  ;D

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Norwegian Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »

What an interesting find! I've watched a bit of it, and it certainly does convey an atmosphere, which you can appreciate without understanding a word of the language.
  Eric