Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNRM What's Normal  (Read 2798 times)

stumpy 101

SNRM What's Normal
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »

Hi all

I understand that the snr drops at night however should it recover on its own during the day. I ask as mine connection will sync in the morning with a 6.6 snr that can droup as low as 2.5 during the evening and if it dosen't lose sync will stay that low all day unless i force a resync. This then returns a healthier 6.6snr

Anyone got any ideas or is this standard ?

Regards

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: SNRM What's Normal
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »

Do you also see large SNRM drops when using the phone?
(Best caught by watching the SNRM levels in the modem's GUI whilst dialling out. Dialling in caused SNRM to immediately rise again).

I had a similar issue that was cured when an engineer replaced the faulty SSFP.

I also had a dodgy connection between the underground cable & the pole top DP (intermittent fault).
My connection suddenly became very stable when that was repaired.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

Anyone got any ideas or is this standard ?

What is noticeable from your five-day graphs is that you have a very unstable line, probably as the result of an infrastructure defect somewhere. The behaviour shown is most definitely not normal nor standard.  :o
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

The latest graphs brought back some unhappy memories for me, from this time last year.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »

Pigeons perching on your drop cable . . .  :P

stumpy 101

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »

Just tried watching the snr on the GUI whilst dialling out on the land line, it drops from 4.5 to 3.6   :-X do I really need another engineer visit or am I supposed to put up with it  :no:
 Do you guys think a new ssfp may fix this if so where do you recommend purchasing one from? 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »

I am surprised at the extent of the drop when the line is looped.  :o  It is looking like a defective joint (HR or semi-conducting) is developing between your NTE5/A and the DSLAM or a faulty SSFP at your NTE5/A.

Could also make a call to your landline, from a mobile phone, whilst monitoring the modem's GUI?

Do you have a known, good, dangly microfilter that you could temporarily substitute in place of the SSFP?

This is looking very familiar, when compared with Bald_Eagle1's woes of about a year ago. The ultimate fix, once sufficient evidence has been accumulated, is for an Openreach SFI appointment.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »

I believe a SNRM reduction of 0.4dB MAXIMUM is classed as 'normal' when dialling out.

Temporary removal of the filtered faceplate & an old dangly ADSL filter inserted into the main test socket cured that issue while I awaited an engineer to replace the SSFP.

Dialling in would cause SNRM to increase substantially (before I started using the dangly filter), which would last for a few hours.

It eventually became so bad that if SNRM had already gradually reduced to around 3dB or less, simply using the phone would cause SNRM to go into negative values, sometimes actually causing a disconnection.

Yours sounds as though it could be in the early stages of a similar problem.

If an engineer does replace the SSFP for you, I would also ask him (officially in advance - via your ISP) to run a TDR test as you may also have a HR (high resistance) type issue (as I had) somewhere between the socket & DSLAM, as mentioned by b*cat.

stumpy 101

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »

Hi all

Been busy, so still haven't manage to install a dangle filter as its now in my loft. Just out of interest here are some evening resync snap shots vs morning resync  snaps. Notice the increase noise !
any comments welcome.

regards