Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2nd modem/Router as Wireless Access Point  (Read 2208 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
2nd modem/Router as Wireless Access Point
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »

As a (temporary?!) measure to get around two problems of line instability and unreliable/poor wireless performance, I've connected two modem/routers up for different purposes.

Modem A DSL-2780 (suplied by TalkTalk).  This hangs onto the line better when there's noise, but is let down by poor wireless throughput and delays.

Modem B TP-Link TD-W8961ND ver 1.1 - This tends to drop the line when there's noise, has poorer line performance anyway, but has superior wireless.

So, Modem A is connected to the telephone line, ip address 192.168.1.1 and has DHCP enabled.

Modem B is connected via LAN to Modem A, has ip address of 192.168.1.250, with DHCP relay enabled.

Surprisingly it works well, except that a device connecting to Modem B isn't given a default gateway address to use.  It's granted a valid ip address from Modem A's pool, but default gateway stays blank.

Devices connecting straight to modem A get default gateway set correctly as expected.

Any idea why? Should it work, or am I asking too much?

Remember that there's only one subnet here, of which Modem A and Modem B are a part of.  So the default gateway ought to apply to all therein.  Shouldn't it?

Ian
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:03:04 PM by sheddyian »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: 2nd modem/Router as Wireless Access Point
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:45 PM »

I usually disable DHCP on the 2nd machine.   ie totally disable it NOT relaying.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: 2nd modem/Router as Wireless Access Point
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »

I usually disable DHCP on the 2nd machine.   ie totally disable it NOT relaying.

I was hoping to keep it simple and leave DHCP working seamlessly, particularly since the wireless access would be dealing with transient things like smartphones.

Workaround for the wireless PC is to set it to a fixed ip address and specify the default gateway. 

Was just hoping I could do it all with DHCP  :(

Ian

Edit to add : with DHCP switched OFF completely on Modem B, devices connecting to Modem B didn't seem to get given an ip address at all via DHCP (even though DHCP enabled Modem A is on same subnet), hence switching on relaying.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:08:52 PM by sheddyian »