Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: adsl aol slow speed  (Read 7807 times)

guysie1

Re: adsl aol slow speed
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »

Thats some really usefull information there,how long is it usually once these fibre boxes are sorted that we then get fibre?

Great site this, you guys have really given me some top class help and information thankyou :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »

>>> how long is it usually once these fibre boxes are sorted that we then get fibre?

Difficult to say..  at one point the checker told an ETA date, but its now more vague because BT dont like being held to a specific day... and sometimes they werent able to meet deadlines, so got lots of complaints from people wanting to jump on to fibre.

Sometimes they run a little behind.. or in other cases its earlier than expected...  but hopefully 'RFS date' usually means soon ie within  months... particularly so because you say the cabs are in place.  Status then normally changes to "Available in some areas" when it starts to go live.  The only thing definite I can see for Rye is 2013.

If you look in the thread I started here you can see the time-scale of what happened in this area.

- Original RFS date was 31.12.2012
- Early Sept 2012 - Saw BT guys and a van pushing blown fibre down the main road that leads to this town
- Sept 21st - Saw BToR man and van installing hardware into the FTTC cab - he kindly let me take some photos.
- Oct 4th - Status changed on the infinity checker to accepting orders.

Note :- Although I could have placed an order on 4th Oct, there were still some areas in town which couldn't and had to wait a little bit longer..... and there is still one area which cant, as theres no sign of the FTTC cabs at all on that particular estate yet.

There isnt really any hard and fast rule..  depends on man power and if theres any difficulties/delays in laying the fibre and connecting up the new DSLAM.  The above timescale happened very quickly for me here, but that could be because Im very near the exchange and I dont think this is the norm.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

guysie1

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

You have definately now given me the bug, this is so interesting  ;D

I am assuming that they will have to replace all the copper cable from the exchange or is it something else they do?

If im at work will get the other half to take a few pics to and post here, or if i am around will investigate myself.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

The broadband for all the cabinet's users comes from the exchange to the cabinet via fibre
In non-tech/layman's terms it's then converted/split into each users broadband in the fibre twin cabinet
A copper wire pair then takes your BB signal through the underground connecting cable bundle to the existing cabinet distribution point.
It then spliced into your existing phone line connection at that point in the cabinet.
The broadband then comes into your house via the existing phone cabling from the cabinet to your house as it does at present.

You phone voice line remains as it is - back to the cabinet through the same cable and then it goes on as it used to back to the exchange - except this final (longer section) no longer carries the broadband.

The fibre is put in the existing ducts from the exchange to the cabinet alongside the existing cabling in them.
This can/does give problems if over time the ducts are full, damaged, collapsed, built over, tree roots in them, hence the rather variable time scales of doing anything....it depends what they find when they start doing the work.

guysie1

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

Apart from the problems i have been having and you guys have been a great help, i now seem to be having issues with the connection, about 3 times today the internet connection has been down then after a short while it comes back on again?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

>> about 3 times today the internet connection has been down then after a short while it comes back on

What I suspect is happening is that you are suffering from what used to be known on fixed rate adsl as "Low SNR, but as you will see from that page, those will be the typical symptoms that are happening.

You can confirm if this is the case by grabbing a copy of Routerstats which will graph your SNRm over a period of time.

You already seem to have done most of what you can do to make the best of your part of the physical connection..  graphing your SNRm could be useful because it will help us see if there is a pattern to the drops in SNR.  There may be a case of local REIN which can be identified...   I dont want to get your hopes up too much, because long lines are susceptible to variance in noise...  but at least it will help us see what is going on with your connection.

---

If you can, I would also try and get a record of your neighbours line stats for comparison with yours, this could be useful ammunition should you need to fight a corner with BT... particularly if it turns out that your neighbours attenuation is quite a fair bit more than yours.

Im guessing here but if they do get the speeds you say, then it may be helpful if there is a spare pair that you perhaps may be swapped on to.   A caveat with this, it may not be an easy job to get a swap particularly in remote locations and yet again I dont want to raise your hopes if nothing can be done..  but having those stats may show something for comparison and help strengthen your case to get a swap.

-----

Because youve had a few loss of connections I also strongly suspect that the DLM will increase your Target SNRm, this is turn may cause your sync speed to drop further.  A more up to date record of your line stats would be useful.

My concern is the marker on your line stating over 75dB loop loss, and if the loss of syncs keep happening then eventually you may find yourself in a banded profile... but hopefully not yet.

If you want to try and take this further, we will be quite prepared to help you all we can by pointing out anything we can to help you strengthen your cause.  Such as comparing stats with your neighbour, and also looking at routerstats graphs to see if we can spot any obvious REIN.

Be prepared though for a wee bit of a learning curve - regrettably AOL is one of the ISPs who will try to fob you off - and therefore you will need to be armed with a bit of technical information to get it escalated further.  In fact the information you need to learn, will be far more than the majority of AOL reps know, but if you stand firm eventually you may get put through to someone who also understands.

For starters you will need to understand :-
~ What is Attenuation?
~ What is SNR?
~ What is SNR Margin
~ What is Target SNR

Reading any of the other pages on Line Stats may also help understanding, but I appreciate SNR can sometimes take a while to get your head around, so if you need something clarifying please shout.

----

Wish we had a more accurate date for FTTC...  something you could try if you dont mind looking an idiot in front of your neighbours  ;D...   some people have reported that once the cabs are wired up to an electrical source they can hear an audible hum come from the DSLAM fans. 
Whilst the cabs may be there, we dont know atm whether they yet have fibre to them nor if the internal DSLAM kit has been fitted... wiring up to an electrical source is usually the last thing to be done.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 07:04:35 PM »

For a very long line, the choice of modem/router can make all the difference.

Not having been mentioned, so far, in this thread I'll say that a member of the 2Wire 2700HG device family would be worth a try on such a long line.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

guysie1

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

Hi Guys, spoke to a bt engineer this morning who was working on 1 of the 2 mini exchanges, he was connecting some cable inside the box.

He told me that the box has not been powered up yet, and the fibre has to come from Hastings and that it should all be up and running by the end of summer beginning of autumn, i asked him will we get speeds around 20 mbps and he said no it should be double that.

He also mentioned that you will only get these speeds unless you had aliminum cable to your house in the 60,s as price of copper was sky high, so i am assuming that there is all copper cable to my house as it was built around 1967 any info you guys can give much appreciated.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »

I "thought" the early 1970's was the copper price problem issue....
There was a lot of dodgy copper plumbing pipe produced around that time - not to spec/cheap with inclusions (holes) in them which some decades later has been known to lead to failure.

guysie1

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »

Managed to get a (aol) talk talk engineer visit on tuesday, he put a new faceplate in and tinkered with his laptop and managed to get a download speed almost treble what i was getting.

He explained that it does not help being so far away from exchange cable terms around 13 miles, but he did agree that something is wrong if your nerighbours are getting a much faster speed.

The engineer managed to get around 850kbps ds and told me to give it around 48hrs to settle down, however the speed seems to have reverted back to the 300kbps so i seem to have the quicker speed for a few hours and now its buisness as usual. My dilemma is that i am out of contract with aol and do i sign up with someone else for a year or put up with it till the new fibre optic has been installed or even better i could revert back to dial up  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]