Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Low Sync Speed, Frequent Dropouts  (Read 2092 times)

Seraniol

• Just arrived
Low Sync Speed, Frequent Dropouts
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this issue has begun recently or if it has been ongoing, but I've come to notice my connection is dropping quite frequently. I'm under the impression it is probably something that has been ongoing, but only come to light as I've been using the connection for longer periods.

We recently upgraded from 20Mb ADSL to 40Mb, I suspect the issues may have begun around here, some details:

The highest speed we've synced at is around 24 Mbps, so we're barely achieving anymore than previously.
Average ping increased after the upgrade, from 25ish, to 45ish (imperceptible but thought worthy of mentioning).
The drop outs are very short lived but incredibly frustrating as they will cause a disconnect from any game, skype, etc.
Other than the dropouts and lower than expected speed, the connection is 'stable' in that there are no other issues.

I've noticed the error counts seem to spike after a dropout, here's the connection stats after about 2 days:

Lastly, this is what my ping looks like most of the time, whenever my connection drops it is followed by 3 or 4 timeouts instead:

An engineer is due to visit on Tuesday, but I would greatly appreciate any help, advice or information you can offer as it might help solve this.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Low Sync Speed, Frequent Dropouts
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »

Hi and welcome Seraniol :)

Ive moved your post to the FTTC section, where its more likely to be spotted by the guys with more experience in VDSL issues.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Low Sync Speed, Frequent Dropouts
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »

If the "dropouts" are actually 'on the fly' resyncs, the error count does tend to spike as it continues to accumulate, showing a larger than 'normal' increase at the time sync is re-established (unless it is the spikes that actually cause the dropout/resync).

Looking at your SNRM values, you do seem have have SOME capacity for higher sync speeds unless DLM has applied Interleaving at a very high depth due to the frequent droputs.

US sync speed looks particularly low at 991 Kbps.

I wouldn't concentrate too much on your attenuation values as VDSL2 reports an attenuation value for each band plan in use (3 band plans each for US & DS).

If, like an engineer's JDSU tester, your attenuation has been 'averaged' by some algorithm that we have no detail of, it does look a shade high, but how far are you from the cabinet?

541 error seconds also seems a shade high for a VDSL2 connection in the 22 hours or so connection time.
My own connection (low speed due to being around 1000m from the cabinet), usually reports around 100 or so DS error seconds over any 24 hour period.

FWIW, I see you are connected to a Broadcom (Huawei) DSLAM.

As you are seeng what I presume to be almost 474000 FEC errors over the 22 hours connection time, it suggests that Interleaving is switched on, but we don't know if that is a high or low depth from the posted stats.

If you were initially supplied with a Huawei HG612 modem at installation, you could always very easily unlock it & provided you are a Windows user you could use a 24/7 and/or snapshot pack of monitoring programs & post your stats in a more familiar format, including graphs similar to those I have attached.

These programs can run for many months at a time if required to obtain a good picture of your connection's performance.
They can be freely downloaded from here:-

http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html

Unlocking the BT modem is probably in breach of BT's Ts & Cs, but many users do unlock them.
If BT OR do ever get involved in a connection fault investigation, they will probably insist on their supplied modem being reconnected.

Alternatively, spare HG612 modems can often be obtained quite cheaply from auction sites such as ebay.

HTH

anything