Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which is the best ISP to go with?  (Read 4748 times)

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
Which is the best ISP to go with?
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:40:10 PM »

Need to be not capped, good speeds day and night.

Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Which is the best ISP to go with?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »

Recommending an ISP these days can be a minefield.   ISPs that can be good and in flavour one day can become problematic the next month.

There arent any IPstream ISPs that can offer you an uncapped service - dont believe all the marketing hype from the likes of tiscali etc claiming unlimited because it just isnt true... and they will throttle you for sure.
Be are about the only ISP I know of that hasnt yet imposed any form of capping policies although they do have a FUP in place in case of need.

The best thing to do is decide what amount of usage you need...  and consider if you are prepared to download overnight.. (some ISPs give a greater offpeak allowance).

You also need to think if you need to use p2p etc as some ISPs are more tolerant than others when it comes to p2p.

Also check out this page
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/caps.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »

ps

if you want to give us an indication of your anticipated usage and what you use your connection for... we can advise if say XYZisp is a good choice or not.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »

Hi I will be using P2P Ive heard SKY is at the moment one of the best. Im with BT at the moment

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »

Possibly although see my reply in the other thread.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1228.msg42888.html#new
-----

maxping

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »

Hi I will be using P2P Ive heard SKY is at the moment one of the best. Im with BT at the moment

I am moving to Sky in the New Year as i do not have a Sky TV package and am currently paying £25 for my connection with no extras.
The mid package has a 40GB cap this is the one i am going for,unofficially the MAX package is 250GB,i would not be at all surprised if in time they clamp down on the MAX package limit as no isp can afford to give this amount of bandwidth away for £10 per month.
Remember you are in a long contract and if they suddenly introduce a strict FUP or throttle your downloads its going to cost you to get away from them.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »

I couldn't recommend any ISPs now with any degree of confidence. I really couldn't.

Far from us leaving the "wild west" days of FRIACO (late 1990s "dial-a-cowboy" ISP) behind it just seems like the cowboys have got bigger.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:46:36 PM »

Remember you are in a long contract and if they suddenly introduce a strict FUP or throttle your downloads its going to cost you to get away from them.

No its not. Not if you actually stand up to them and say "Defend an undefined FUP in court" for they cannot change your T&Cs without your consent.

Its an unfair contract in England & Wales and EVERY SINGLE ISP knows it.

maxping

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »

I was a Freedom2surf customer approx 3 years ago,there was no traffic shaping then they were bought out  by another ISP and shaping was introduced.
It may be legal to do this because they bought them out but i do not remember any mention of  new contracts they just introduced it and that was that.

The other problem is the 250GB allowance is only a rough guess i do not know if there is a official figure.

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:54:47 AM »

I have been with PlusNet since December 2002.  PlusNet is the dog's whatnots :) and you can't get higher praise than that.

Why do I say this?  PlusNet is constantly seeking to improve its service.  For example, it has introduced Postini email handling and the resulting benefits with spam have been huge.  Tech support is reachable via 0845 and responds quickly, relevantly and informatively to online requests for support.  The general attitude at Support is extremely good.  The broadband service is consistently reliable.  PlusNet provide a firewall at the ISP end.  Emails pass through an anti virus filter.  Its DNS servers have always been clean (i.e. not poisoned): I have never found myself at a site I did not intend to visit.

I have never had any problems with PlusNet and can wholeheartedly recommend them.

Windows XP

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »

Although I am going to recommend Virgin Media "cable", there is only one down-side that comes to mind and that is their "Traffic Management System" (a search here on the forum will produce a link explaining the rules exactly)

This (basically) operates on the basis of you either DL 800 MB or UL 325 MB, but either way it is a total of a combined UL and DL of 800 MB whichever figure you reach first.

The starting point is from between 4PM and  9PM.
If you fall foul of these rules then you are "traffic Manged" on a much reduced rate for the next 4 hours from the time you hit a total of 800 MB UL & DL.
For a 4Mb connection the cut is down to a 1Mb connection.
But with careful planning, observation and depending if your client uses a scheduler then it is possible to live with the restriction (well just about)

Other than that, VM have no other restrictions or caps.
But they are also not the cheapest.