Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: creating a ftp  (Read 20397 times)

yoyo920

• Just arrived
creating a ftp
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:43:01 AM »

hi kitz glad to be a member=]

im kinda a newb and kinda not...... so bear with me

i already know most of the commands to use with my voyager 205 as in.. wen i telnet it
but i was reading up on your article explainning how to create a ftp server using Serv-u or something like that. i was following all the steps until it said to register with dns4me -.- they require a nonfree email to get it free.
anyhow... i tried to find others but when i did eventually find one.. i couldnt embed serv-u to it..i kept having to use the user and pass from the ftp site

anyway i was wondering if someone could help me out by telling me or giving a guide on how to start one up

sorry if this is in the wrong place

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: creating a ftp
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:59:57 PM »

Just checking that you are wanting to run an FTP server so that others can connect to information on and download files direct from your PC?

Hi vovo

Ideally to set up an ftp server you need a static IP address so that people know where to point when they try connect to you.

I take it that you have successfully managed to install the FTP client (Serve u).

If you are on a dynamic IP address you will need to also install a DNS Updater.

I have a static IP address therefore I didnt need to bother with a dns tracker/forwarder, but pre-adsl days I needed one.
I registered with http://dyndns.dk and I actually registered with a hotmail address, so they must have changed the rules since.
I have just checked my dyndns.dk profile and it still def got a @hotmail addy in there.

Just to explain whats going on, if you are on a non static IP, every time you connect, your ISP will likely allocate you a different IP address from their pool.
For someone to be able to connect to your ftp server, they need you IP address, hence if you are on a dynamic IP you need to find a way of giving someone an address.

When you sign up with the likes of dyndns they track your IP address each time you log on, and offer to forward for free the name you choose with your IP addy ie name.dyndns.dk.

In order to be able to track your IP address you need to install another small piece of software on your PC, which will communicate with dyndns so that they know you are online and which IP to forward to.

The software Ive used for this in the past is Direct Update.
Theres more info and download from here
http://www.directupdate.net/faq.html

argggh.. just noticed the free one is now only a 60 day trial and you have to register for the full version :/
Ive just done a really quick google and found
http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

Their updater client can be downloaded from
http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php

but it looks like you may have to use them for forwarding company rather than dyndns.

I dont personally know what its like because I havent used it.
so check out the blurb.

Once installed this software should communicate with dyndns and keep your IP address updated, so that others can connect to your ftp server.

Hope this info has helped.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

yoyo920

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 05:53:14 PM »

erm ok... well i already have an account with dyndns.. thats all fine

so nowi put that dyndns name onto serv-u and it should hook ppl up to my ftp?

well i asked someone to type in mine yoyo920.dns****

and they said it wasnt working... and... i forwarded ports 21, 52000-52010

so im not quite sure what to atm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »

Hi yoyo

Whilst you online find out your IP address and see if someone can connect using your IP address only.
Should narrow the area of the problem down a lil bit
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:38:19 PM »

>> dyndns name onto serv-u and it should hook ppl up to my ftp?

just realised I dont think you put that into serveU
The IP address should be the LAN IP?

In the SErveU admin window Under
Local Server >> Domains >> my domain >> Settings >> Advanced Tab

Tick allow passive mode, use IP 192.168.7.2 (or whatever the lan IP for your machine is).

At the top for the Local Server
It should be greyed out with
<<Local Server>>

Under domains >> my domain
the settings should be

Domain
My domain
Use any available IP address
Store in .INI file
Regular FTP
Port 21
-----

yoyo920

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 10:59:55 PM »

no luck still...... i found that the dynamic dns actually works... but its actually hooking up to my router

which means.. when i type that in it name it brings me to my router.. not the Userve ftp place..

maybe i configures dyndns wrong.. for the ip i put down the ip that it gave me which is the external one.

please help -.-

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 11:40:23 PM »

btw did you realise you cant test your ftp server yourself because it tries to connect to your router first - it can only be tested from *outside*

Theres an ftp server test here
http://www.netmonitor.org/tools/test.php?type=ftp

You can check for anoymous, or you can enter in the name and password of an account that you have set up.

The places were you put an IP address in and what you should put in are in my post above.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 11:49:16 PM »

> which means.. when i type that in it name it brings me to my router.. not the Userve ftp place

This may happen from inside your LAN. It's a pain I know.

To test your FTP server is functioning correctly on your PC, open an FTP client and connect to "localhost" or just go to ftp://localhost/ (if that works, it should ask you to log on, providing you haven't got anonymous access enabled)

Then, to test your dyndns name is configured correctly, go to a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and type ping yoyo920.dnswhatever.you.chose and see if that matches your public IP address (if you don't know it, go to http://www.whatismyip.com ).

Two outta three. The next thing to do is test your router is port forwarding properly. Forwarding ports took me a little while to get my head around properly on the Solwise 110, (which is basically a Voyager 205 without the BT branding), because they're a lot more flexible (read more places to go wrong!) than most routers.

Best thing to do is get a mate to test it, preferably while you're on the phone or instant messenger or something to them so you can fiddle and say "right try again!"

Whilst posting this I've just seen kitz's reply.. didn't know about that Netmonitor FTP tester.. there's some nice gems on that site - very handy :)

Good luck. Feel free to post up some screenshots or descriptions of the port forwarding stuff if you get stuck and we'll try and help!
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 11:51:11 PM »

Just to note that maybe this is the case with the BT Voyager 205, but other routers seem to work using external addresses which are pointing internally. For example when I briefly set up web service here at home I could use the WAN IP address or associated domain name and properly view stuff.
Just thought that should be noted, although perhaps with this router it does not work (i know my old router didn't - putting in IP addy/domain name brought up the router CP rather than site when accessing internally)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 11:54:08 PM »

Yeah, my Netgear DG834, forwards the port properly, but the 205 doesn't seem to. I guess *not* forwarding it is a better design, really... certainly more technically correct.

But on a router geared for home use it's best if it does process port forwarding rules from internally as well as externally, then everything seems to work as it should in cases like this.
Chris

yoyo920

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 02:32:08 PM »

haha thanks for all your help people. i used netmoniter to test it, well i got my friend to test it yesterday also...

i tried using port 21/// that failed
used port 990/// that failed
used mi bittorrent port .................... sucess <3

LOL stupid router didnt forward my ports properly i guess.

just a note to add... as soon as i changed ports people started to try to log in..i was warned of this already . and i heard there is a way to use ssh? or something like that. any tips on this? to secure mi connection

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 02:36:24 PM »

Well, you can enable encryption for an FTP server... but it wouldn't stop people trying to log in if they guessed your password.

The key to security is having secure passwords. So as long as the passwords are secure, and you haven't got anonymous access enabled, then there's not a lot of chance that someone will be able to get into your system.

I wouldn't use your BitTorrent port, or else that will interfere with BitTorrent (two programs can't both listen on the same port).
Chris

yoyo920

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »

how do you mean secure passwords? as in use letters and numbers. or as in using a program to encrypt the passwords?

and i know not to use the bittorrent port haha that was just a test to see if it was actually working or not.

and Lifehacker.com told people to use an ftp client to test out your own ftp on your pc u are hosting from.. so i blame them =]

btw ftp.localhost worked too

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 03:48:56 PM »

> how do you mean secure passwords? as in use letters and numbers. or as in using a program to encrypt the passwords?

Yeah, I mean random letters and numbers and symbols if you want. I perhaps should have said complex passwords to make it clearer. Just to give you extremes, something like "happy" would be a terrible password, and something like "rX09$47kQu eiA~" would be a great password (and would be so secure you'd never remember it :lol:)

Perhaps a compromise of the two... remember unless you do something bad (like pee off someone in an IRC chat room or something) that attracts attention from unwanted people, it's incredibly unlikely that a random hacker patroling the net isn't going to find your server and spend days hacking it to find a way in.

I always say don't use a dictionary word and put numbers in it. A common thing is to replace letters with numbers in a random word e.g. luc0z4d3 (there happens to be a bottle of the lucozade on my desk which I used for inspiration!!)
Chris

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 03:51:25 PM »

By the way, there's a random password generator here
Chris
Pages: [1] 2

anything