Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users  (Read 31400 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

A small package of connection statistics logging/graphing programs has been recently devoloped from the original batch file script versions.

These programs are more robust than the scripted versions and are much quicker in use to boot.

Thanks to RONSKI's efforts, everything can now be set up using a GUI settings editor for fully automated data harvesting & graphing via user-defined scheduled events.

.Net does need to be installed to make full use of RONSKI's settings editor.
.Net version 4 has been used for extensive testing of the programs on systems ranging from XP Home Edition to Windows 7 & related Home Server versions.

However, users can still manually edit a text based configuration ini file if choosing not to install .Net
AFAIK, .Net was already included with Windows versions starting with Vista, so installing it is probably only relevant for the few XP users who don't already have it installed.

Resyncs are now detected (if monitoring 24/7) & the data is immediately logged, along with optional graphing.

The mis-reported FEC/CRC errors issue from the HG612's own buggy GUI has also been dealt with.

The output is almost identical to later scripted versions, just that there is more of it to assist with trouble-shooting problematic connections.

Once a reliable download site has been chosen, I'll post links here accordingly, so watch this space  ;)

At some stage in the not too distant future, these programs are also likely to be converted back to their Linux and ADSL roots, as originally developed by Burakkucat, along with asbokid's input.

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »

For the past two months or so I've been developing a settings editor to set up Bald_Eagles excellent updated logging programs, along with testing them.

To do this I've had to learn VB.Net, and I haven't really programmed since I was a teenager, about 30 years ago.

So take it easy if you find anything not quite right, but please do let us know.

We'll update the thread and the first post when it's available for download
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:48:24 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »

Download is now live at Freewarefiles.com, I'm sure the Eagle will be along soon to update the first post.

Edit: If upgrading to the new version don't forget to backup any logs/graphs just in case. In my experience it is perfectly fine to keep your modem log file, I'm still using the same one I started last August.

Also if you like it then please rate it and leave a review on Freeware files, if you have any problems then let us know.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:42:38 PM by Ronski »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »

Unfortunately that link doesn't work.
  Eric

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »

Thanks, link fixed, must of forgot to check that one  :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »

:)

It works now, and the file downloads correctly.
  Eric

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:04 AM »

Just to let everyone know that the editor requires dot.net version 4, or else it won't run.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:26:43 AM »

Has anyone tried this out yet?

General constructive feedback/criticism is most welcomed, but I’m particularly interested to hear about how users found the setting up process, any problems & suggestions for potential future improvement and development.

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »

It would be nice if this program could be used for other broadcom-based devices too.
Are you planning to keep it exclusive for the HG612?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »

I did convert the script versions for use with some other Broadcom routers such as Netgear, Zoom X7N etc. so I may do the same with the program version at some stage.

It did start life as a Linux program for ADSL connections & I have just Window-ised it & added graphing elements for VDSL2 connections so it shouldn't be too major a task to get it to work with other Broadcom devices.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »

it shouldn't be too major a task to get it to work with other Broadcom devices.

You may find the wiki page on Broadcom routers helpful: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=BCM_routers
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »

You may find the wiki page on Broadcom routers helpful: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=BCM_routers

Thanks for that link.
It will be useful for when/if I eventually get a round tuit.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »

Hi Bald_Eagle,

I have downloaded the program and installed it on my Windows 8 Pro p.c, however for the scheduled task this doesn't seem to be running.  It basicall ran it once when the program was installed and the scheduled task was created, it now says 'Task Scheduler did not launch task "\HG612 Stats Program" because instance "{c6e7f7ce-69c5-4e66-9434-3955f1653a08}" of the same task is already running.'

I previousy used the older version of the program before it was nicely packaged on my Windows 7 workstation and it had a file called modem_log which doesn't seem to be present on the windows 8 workstation, wonder if this is because the scheduled task is not running.

Any advice

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

There is an ongoing discussion & possible solution regarding Windows 8 & the use of the programs part way down the thread here:-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4216317-huawei-hg612-stats-and-graphing-programs-for-windows-users.html

I don't have access to a Windows 8 machine, so I am unable to test anything myself.

EDIT:
Please let me know if you find a workaround & we'll include it in the first update we release.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:16:57 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything