Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users  (Read 31410 times)

Korben_dallas

Re: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

Since I last updated you something really weird is going on since I last terminated the ongoing running exe's.

I find that it is no longer collecting stats, the error log continues to log but not much else it does report that the sync data is 0

I run the teststats2.bat from the old version of the program to see what that did and it threw up errors reporting 'FATAL ERROR: Network error: Connection refused
The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.' and further errors.  I tried DSLstats and that reported invalid response from the modem, yet the modem is working and i can access it thru IE.  It is getting all rather strange and nothing has changed on the pc.  Am going to do some further investigation and if need be restore to an earlier version but that wont resolve the issue of the multiple exe's running.

I will let you know how it goes and respond more fully to your questions.

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »

Hmmm.

Very strange behaviour.

I see you can still still access the modem's GUI?

If so, what do you see in Device information?

This is from my modem, using the original BLOB:-

Product type  EchoLife HG612   
Hardware version  VER.B 
Software version  V100R001C01B028SP10 
Firmware version  A2pv6C030b.d22g 
Batch number  BC1P10.028.A2pv6C030b.d22g 
System up time  42 days 3 hours 5 minutes 6 seconds 

Also, can you still access the xDSL stats in the WAN menu?

If not, can you access the modem via Telnet:-

Telnet 192.168.1.1 (or whatever IP address your modem is using).

If you can access it via Telnet (admin, admin, sh) can you still run the usual commands & receive 'sensible' output?:-

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd info --show

Have you tried powering the modem completely off & back on again?

If you try running HG612_stats.exe by double clicking it, does it provide any meaningful output?
I suppose it's just remotely possible that your virus checker has flagged up a false-positive & is blocking both HG612_stats.exe & DSLstats.exe whenever they try to access the modem.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

I can still logoin to the modems gui (see attached doc) and the logs look good, however I tried using putty, which I had used last week on the modem and it at first opened at session but never gave me a session/login it looks like the router is refusing any telnet sessions.

I haven't rebooted the modem yet but will look to do that mid morning, its all very strange, am wondering if the modem was giving back strange responses caused the issue with hg612 exe and now the modem is worse.

Have checked the AV software and no signs of it blocking anything, I also attach a copy of the error log as requested, and an extract from the current one.

Have tried running the exe directly a window opened and then closed quickly before I could see what was on the screen.

Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »

Could it be that there are some unterminated telnet sessions still open on the router? Perhaps the telnet timeout has been inadvertently set to 'Never'?
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »

Just a thought..................

I have only seen the non existent pipe message when more than one connection to the modem is attempted at the same time.
Hence the Connect error in ERROR.LOG.

Were you/are you running my program/script at the same time as Eric's DSLstats program?

My programs/scripts use the PC's system time to schedule the data harvests & I think DSLstats uses its own internal timer.
Both versions of my script/program should completely exit as soon as a harvest has completed.

Possibly one event 'catches up' with the other & both programs attempt to connect to the modem at the same time, causing neither to actually make the connection.

I have seen that happen occasionally when I have been running both programs together.

My script version connects via telnet to the modem & my program version connects directly.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that DSLstats connects to the modem via a telnet session.

Perhaps Eric could confirm the timer & connection method?

If you do have both programs running together, it may be worth completely quiting one of them to see if the other resumes properly (after ending any 'stuck' processes (including CMD.exe).

When running HG612_stats.exe by double-clicking, you should usually see meaningful data scrolling for around 2 seconds.
If it is far too quick to view anything, it is confirmation that a connection to the modem has failed.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:41:42 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that DSLstats connects to the modem via a telnet session.

Perhaps Eric could confirm the timer & connection method?

DSLstats gets all its data via telnet. It logs on and logs off again for each sample. Sampling is initiated by a software timer.

I frequently have two instances of it running at the same time, and it never seems to cause conflicts, so I think that the HG612 (and probably many other modem/routers) is quite happy with more than one simultaneous live telnet session. But there is presumably a limit, although I have no idea what it is.
  Eric

Korben_dallas

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, regarding using dlsstats and the HG612 one, the HG612 runs whenever the pc is on, and I only run the dslstats manually adhoc as a quck check.

Am going to try to run them on a laptop thisd way at least will rule out if the p.c is causing a problem connecting via telnet to the modem, and will also help diagnose the other problems with HG612 hopefully, although it may not help determine whats behind the issues if any on the pc.

If I get the same response with the laptop will look to reboot the modem later today, strange as the modem was only rebotted some 24 days ago and before that it had been on and not rebotted for over 120 days.

Cheers

Korben_dallas

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »

Folks,

I tried my laptop and for dslstats got the same results looks like the modem rejecting telnet connections.  For HG612 it wasn't returning anything.

I rebooted the modem and all seems to be normal both for dslstats and for HG612 stats, what is also good to see mno more multiple occurences of the exe running or basically even seeing one running constantly.

On the subject of the modem am at a loss as to why this happened as it had previously been up for over 120 days without an issue.  Any views on using one of the later blobs on it, am using the original one for hacked HG612 and notice there is a newer one with possible increase in download sync speed.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »

Folks,

I tried my laptop and for dslstats got the same results looks like the modem rejecting telnet connections.  For HG612 it wasn't returning anything.

I rebooted the modem and all seems to be normal both for dslstats and for HG612 stats, what is also good to see mno more multiple occurences of the exe running or basically even seeing one running constantly.

That's good news  :)

On the subject of the modem am at a loss as to why this happened as it had previously been up for over 120 days without an issue.  Any views on using one of the later blobs on it, am using the original one for hacked HG612 and notice there is a newer one with possible increase in download sync speed.

The new BLOB does seem to deliver slightly higher sync speeds, but the raw bitloading data is only updated at a resync rather than dynamically as with the original BLOB.

I reverted to the original BLOB, just so I could see changes in my connection since increased crosstalk seems to have robbed me of almost 10Mb on a like for like basis.

I didn't see any problems at all when using the new BLOB.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

Thats good to know about the new blob, pity about the bitloading raw data,  I suspect am possibly suffering from crosstalk but other than undrstanding the sync speed I get lost in those figures. My sync speed has decreased from about 70MB down to an average 66MB, in saying that although the sync speed was 70MB my profile was 66MB and it is now down at 63MB.

I was previously syncing lower at 66MB with a profile of 64.58MB till a BTOP came to resolve a loss of my home phone (01/13) and advised that was due to damaged cables in the cab most likely by a contractor at which point the sync went up to 70MB but the profile stayed the same.  Suppose just one of those things with more and more people taking FTTC.

Any chance you could give a once over of some of my stats and let me know what you think ?

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »

Any chance you could give a once over of some of my stats and let me know what you think ?

Sure. Post the zipped logs or graphs & I'll take a look.

It would be useful to see some from a long time ago (if you still have them) to compare against recent ones for changes.

A change in the QLN graphs would indicate the effect (or not) of increased crosstalk.

EDIT:

I initially mentioned the Hlog graphs by mistake.
I have now corrected the original message to correctly state QLN graphs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:50:59 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Korben_dallas

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

Thanks for the offer to look over the stats, I have attached some before the BTOR resolved the fault and after, the stats for 18/12/12 show it after BTOR had been.

I will post the stats in two parts let me know if these are sufficient I rhink I selected the correct images to attach.

CHeers

Korben_dallas

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle

Part Deux

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

Apart from the ongoing stats montage from 17th June (when your modem seemingly needed a reboot to clear things), it looks like a very solid connection.

Your QLN graphs show a little background noise (-140 dBm would be ideal), but it seems to remain pretty constant as your SNRM & Attainable rate graphs hardly fluctuate.

You are still on fastpath with very few errors & your connection manages to stay up for many days at a time.
A few error seconds & CRC errors on a fastpath connection are to be expected when not on a perfectly quiet connection, but they are obviously below the level where DLM would feel the need to take corrective action by applying Interleaving & thus reducing sync speeds.

As your SNRM is around the 6dB target, it indicates your connection is more or less maxing out the connection's capabilities, although it seems slightly unusual for it to achieve the full 20Mbps US sync speed whilst achieving below 80 Mbps DS sync speed.
Perhaps the background noise level in the QLN graph explains the lower than 80 Mbps DS.

Do you have any Plink logs or snapshot montage graphs from when DS sync speed was a few Mbps higher for comparison purposes?

What distance are you from the cabinet?

EDIT:
As it seems that you now have quite a large modem_stats.log file & assuming the logging has been fairly continuous 24/7 since you started logging, you could manually run graphpd.exe & enter say 140 d for 140 days (or some other quite large value) to see how the connection has fluctauted (or not) over a long period of time.

It will take a while to plot the graphs, but it might be interesting to see.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:06:01 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Korben_dallas

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »

Hi Bald Eaqgle,

Many thanks for the analysis it makes some interesting reading.

I have attached the plink logs and the data from the graphd ran at 140 days.  Concerning the distance from the CAB am about 200m as the crow flies and all the cabling is underground.  Couldn't say how many twists and turns it makes.  It does look like that every block of terraced houses has a BT feed coming up from the ground into one of the ends of the block.

Let me know if you need anything else. 

I had a spare HG612 and have put the newwer blob on this, I might when I go to redo the cabling to the UPS install this inplace of the other hacked HG612.

Cheers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6