Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users  (Read 31478 times)

Korben_dallas

Re: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

Thanks for the information, I did some tests and it seems that in Windows 8 if I change the settings under settingd 'If task is already running, the the following rule applies:'  the rule is set to 'Stop the existing instance'

This seems to work, I can see the logs being updated and the history log showing the task running and then stopping.  Will let it run for a bit longer.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 07:51:58 AM »

Are you logged into Windows using a Username & Password or just a Username?

Also, does it now update the logs silently or do you briefly see either the command window or activity on the task bar each minute?

I have not even seen a Windows 8 installation at all yet, so I have no idea how it works, what to expect or what it looks like.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »

Hi,

The program seems to be running smoothly, there is now a logfile and this is being updated, plus I set it up to produce graphs every hour and this is working fine.

With regards to the Task Scheduler I set the task up to run under a service account (with password) this way it will continue to run even if someone else is logged on.  I had a look on the web and found this was a good article on scheduled tasks in Windows 8

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725745.aspx

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »

I've worked out how to create a task which runs using the system account, this means we will be able to run the exe, thus not requiring the vbs script  for Vista onwards, it also means no need to supply a username or password.

I'll try and alter the editor this week, and then let you have a copy to test if you wouldn't mind?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Korben_dallas

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »

Hi Ronski,

More than willing to give it a try, just let me know.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »

Thanks Korben, I'll let you know when I've made the changes.

I've also checked on XP and I will be able to set that up to use the system account as well :-)

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »

Hi Ronski,

More than willing to give it a try, just let me know.

Cheers

I've sent you a PM with a link to a file, and instructions, hopefully it will work, thanks for testing.

I couldn't create a task programatically to run under the system user account, so have simply compiled the VBS script to an exe, hopefully this will fix the problem.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »

Hi Ronski,

The new exe seems to work a treat, ? I have replied by PM.

Will leave it running overnight and let you know the results.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »

Thanks for testing, the other user on tbb forums has also confirmed it works.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »

Hi Ronski,

The program seems to run for a few hours and then it stops, looks like it doesn't restart.  No errors were seen on the p.c, the log has the last entry as the program stopping but nothing after that.

Restarted it and left it but found it stopped again a few hours later.  Will double check the p.c tonight but never saw anything obvious.

Will let you know.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »

Does task manager show any HG612_ Stats.exe processes running?

What's the error code against the task in task manager?

Bald_Eagle may know what other things to check, there maybe something in the events logs.

I'm probably going to install a virtual machine of W8, so I will also be able to test.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »

Hi Ronski,

Looking at task scheduler it shows the task as stopped/ready, the history on task scheduler shows it stopped correctly but this was not in error.  Looking at the history you can see the tasking starting then stopping and so on, then you have it stopping but not starting.

Checked task manager and it doesnt show the program as running,  I also check Norton's as it originally took exception to the EXE and stuck it in quarantine, but I restored it and told it not to bother about it as it wasnt a virus.

If I need to check any other logs or attach them let me know, hopefully Bald_Eagle might know of other logs to check.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »

That is odd, have you checked the task is setup correctly? Perhaps export the task and post it somewhere/or attach it here (note the allowed file types), so I can download it and take a look if need be - the only identifiable information will be your pc's name and your username, and you can change that  with notepad if you want to.

I've had no reports of problems from the other tester, but not sure if he's running it 24/7.

Is this running on a laptop or a PC? As I think by default the task will not run if on batteries.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

If I need to check any other logs or attach them let me know, hopefully Bald_Eagle might know of other logs to check.

Snippets from ERROR.LOG (stored in the Ongoing_Stas folder) from around the time the task stopped may give some clues, as might sight of the HG612_stats.ini file (stored in the Scripts folder).

If the timings of the task stopping coincide with any scheduled current (snapshot) logging/graphing, details from Current_ERROR.LOG (stored in the Current_Stats folder) may also assist.

Did you use the previous batch file scripted version?
If so, have you disabled/deleted the 24/7 logging task from that to avoid any clashes with the program versions?

In Task Scheduler, the Last Run Result should be 0x0
Could you confirm that was the case when the task stopped running?

Does your PC 'hibernate' after a period of non-use?

Is the actual running time before stopping identical in the cases where it did stop running?

I don't know how Windows 8 works, but do you see any instances of these running permanently in Task Manager:-

cmd.exe
conhost.exe

Korben_dallas

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »

Hi,
Please find attached copies of the logs and other info, the timings of the task stopping dont coincide with anything else, the task when ran with the hg612_stats.exe ran during the same period without an issue other than having to have in the task the part to stop any running instance when it was starting a new one.
The times of the new exe running before it stopped was 13/3 18:54 - 20:22 and then 22:32 - 00:53.  On both times the task stopped cleanly but it didnt seem to restart a minute later.  Also it doesn't seem to run for a set period before it stops.

The p.c is set not to hibernate, the only thing that is set to switch off is the monitor.

With regards to cmd.exe and conhost.exe dont see these running all the time.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6