Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky to take over Be*  (Read 2864 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Sky to take over Be*
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

I guess we knew it was coming,  sad day for me :(

It was in the news today that Be Un Limited is being sold to Sky.

As you're likely to have some questions about what this means, we wanted to let you know there's information available right now here: www.bethere.co.uk/broadbandchanges 

There's also a letter on its way that'll tell you what's happening and when.

As your letter will explain, nothing is changing straight away and you don't need to do a thing.

When will my broadband and landline be moved to Sky?

We expect the deal to be finalised soon, subject to Regulatory Approval and certain other conditions. We will then be moving your broadband and (if you have BE Landline) your landline to Sky, but this won't happen until later this year.

You'll get plenty of notice when it is time for your service to be switched over

I notice it says we will be migrated to the Sky platform.  Wonder what will happen to all the Annex_M connections?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Sky to take over Be*
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »

As you say, a sad day. :(
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

Your Annex M connections will cease to be Annex M.

You'll go onto Sky DLM which will fit a profile to your line. Worth noting that DLM is the only way you will get above 20Mbps downstream on Sky now - maximum manual profile is 20Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up.

Plus side is their international routing and bandwidth is much much much better than Telefonica's.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »

There are mutterings within the engineering ranks of OR, that SKY are considering purchasing Openreach ??!! Rumour has it, (and it is only rumour) and I don't have any evidence, linkies, or a piece of paper in my hand ............ that it's down to their fear of losing their grip on the TV side of the fence.

I reiterate, it's only gossip doing the rounds in the linesmens rooms.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »

I can't see Sky wanting to be the whipping boys for everyone's faults :D

Sky's holy grail has been to get rid of the dependence of their business on satellites.

They are expensive and the risks are off the scale in terms of what most businesses would consider reasonable. Couple of weeks ago - imagine one of those rocks hit a couple of satellites. Your multi-billion TV business just died unless you can rent capacity and potentially get people out to re-align every dish.

That is plan A, B & C for Sky and they'll do what it takes to make that happen.

Frankly I think in the long-term Openreach will have to be floated off as a totally seperate company/entity with the government having a "golden share".

Chinese walls only go so far and its not credible that ANY major teleco is going to have control of national network engineering resources and not exploit that in some way.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »

I moved to Origin BB(Part of the Digital Region project in South Yorkshire) in August of last year from O2 and have never looked back,yes I am paying more but now getting a solid fibre connection for £17.50 a month and the support is top drawer,nothing seems too much trouble...As an example,I was having trouble connecting my Panasonic TV to the internet so the guy at Origin phoned Panasonic on my behalf to get some more info and after calling me back the problem was sorted. :)

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »

If you're thinking fibre then I honestly don't know what to suggest.

Sky has problems on FTTC - possibly down to underpowered cpu on routers when wireless is active (IMHO). I beta-tested the new Sky hub last year and its 2 years out of date before they released it so I'm not sure that's an answer. You can use third-party stuff, Sky won't care - or support it.

My local PCP will go live this year for FTTC and I doubt I'll be using Sky for that as a large chunk of their backhaul is going to be VoD. If I want video messing up IP bandwidth then I already have Virgin as a choice ;)

anything