Computer Software > Security

comodo baffles TD

(1/2) > >>

tuftedduck:
I wonder if anyone can throw a bit of light on that which has baffled old Tuftedduck, ( not an unusual occurance, I know  :'( )

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest Comodo Firewall, and boy does it throw up the balloon tips every time you do just about anything.............will have to tone down the alerts a bit.

Anyway, during installation, it popped up and told me that I already had two firewalls on my machine, and that I should switch them off before installing Comodo.
It mentioned Agnitum, which I knew about as that is the Windows XP firewall, already off for the duration. But it also told me that I had a Symantec firewall on.

Now, I have never had a Symantec product on this machine, I have looked through all folders/files I can see, done a search, had a whistle through regedit but no Symantec can I find. Did listings with HiJack this and Belarc and they don't find it either.

Why, then, is Comodo telling me that it is there ( just there, no location or root path ) ?

All I can think of is that either Agnitum Outpost or my previously installed ZoneAlarm is built on a Symantec engine.

Does anyone know if that is the case, or am I doomed to live my last few years in un-blissful ignorance ?

I should say, that despite the warning, Comodo installed ok and is doing it's thing.   

kitz:
Sorry off the top of my head - Im not sure

maxping:
TD i recently gave Comodo a try having read a PC mag shootout that gave Comodo the top spot and Zone Alarm fourth.(i used ZA at the time)
I found Comodo screwed Iplayer up so had to uninstall.
I would recommend Ashampoo firewall ,it came in second in the above  shootout and is very user friendly.

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0050

tuftedduck:
Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

exo:
Hi, I was not aware that Agnitum had any input with the XP firewall.  I did not get any such warning or information when I installed the Comodo Firewall.

Symantec was taken over by Norton. If you had any of the Norton Security utilities installed at some time, that may account for the Symantec advice.

Comodo does become a nag, even when set to remember your answer. Installing XP security updates are an example but it may improve next time around.  I guess it all depends if different files are being updated.

exo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version