Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: comodo baffles TD  (Read 4196 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
comodo baffles TD
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:27:45 PM »

I wonder if anyone can throw a bit of light on that which has baffled old Tuftedduck, ( not an unusual occurance, I know  :'( )

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest Comodo Firewall, and boy does it throw up the balloon tips every time you do just about anything.............will have to tone down the alerts a bit.

Anyway, during installation, it popped up and told me that I already had two firewalls on my machine, and that I should switch them off before installing Comodo.
It mentioned Agnitum, which I knew about as that is the Windows XP firewall, already off for the duration. But it also told me that I had a Symantec firewall on.

Now, I have never had a Symantec product on this machine, I have looked through all folders/files I can see, done a search, had a whistle through regedit but no Symantec can I find. Did listings with HiJack this and Belarc and they don't find it either.

Why, then, is Comodo telling me that it is there ( just there, no location or root path ) ?

All I can think of is that either Agnitum Outpost or my previously installed ZoneAlarm is built on a Symantec engine.

Does anyone know if that is the case, or am I doomed to live my last few years in un-blissful ignorance ?

I should say, that despite the warning, Comodo installed ok and is doing it's thing.   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: comodo baffles TD
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »

Sorry off the top of my head - Im not sure
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

maxping

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:41:12 PM »

TD i recently gave Comodo a try having read a PC mag shootout that gave Comodo the top spot and Zone Alarm fourth.(i used ZA at the time)
I found Comodo screwed Iplayer up so had to uninstall.
I would recommend Ashampoo firewall ,it came in second in the above  shootout and is very user friendly.

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0050

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »

Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:35:09 PM »

Hi, I was not aware that Agnitum had any input with the XP firewall.  I did not get any such warning or information when I installed the Comodo Firewall.

Symantec was taken over by Norton. If you had any of the Norton Security utilities installed at some time, that may account for the Symantec advice.

Comodo does become a nag, even when set to remember your answer. Installing XP security updates are an example but it may improve next time around.  I guess it all depends if different files are being updated.

exo

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »

Hi, Exo.

That name me back a few years to when I had my first PC (thats only 5 years back) and I got stumped on a point, so I posted my very first on-line in-forum question on the CA Readers to the Rescue thing, (and how excited I was at accomplishing such a technical achievement) and you were the White Knight who galloped by and pulled me out the mud. I think I did say thank you at the time.

I could very well be wrong, probably am, about Agnitum but I had just assumed that it was the Windows firewall as there is an Agnitum folder contining the Outpost firewall lying around in my c:\\ programs folder.
I have not installed it, so assumed that it was the Windows firewall. If it is not, I might as well throw it away.

The Comodo is doing fine, and the alerts and request have decreased a good bit. I guess it has got to learn as well as me.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »

That name me back a few years to when I had my first PC (thats only 5 years back) and I got stumped on a point, so I posted my very first on-line in-forum question on the CA Readers to the Rescue thing, (and how excited I was at accomplishing such a technical achievement) and you were the White Knight who galloped by and pulled me out the mud. I think I did say thank you at the time.

Crikey, that was a few years ago.  You have a good memory so glad I could help back then.

Outpost is not installed with XP.  I guess you  or someone else must have installed it at some point in the past.
Folders are often left behind, even when using the uninstall/remove procedure.

exo