Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wifi problem  (Read 3630 times)

arch

Wifi problem
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »

Hi all, I've just bought a samsung laptop, a refurbished one. Everything works ok and when I first switched on and clicked on network connection it came up with my router. I typed in the security key and that was sorted. It is loaded with Win7 OS Home Premium and has all the Samsung help connections etc installed and has the recovery CD.
  Anyways to cut a long story short i've installed Win7 Ultimate as I like the version. Problem now is I can't get any internet access. This is puzzling me and not knowing much about Wifi and racking my brains. I've looked in Device Manager under the Network Adaptors and there is just Bluetooth listed. I'm unable to type in the routers IP address from the laptop as IE won't work off line. I hope someone can make sense of this. Cheers for any help :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Wifi problem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »

>>>  I've looked in Device Manager under the Network Adaptors and there is just Bluetooth listed.

Usually this is beacause there is no power to the wifi adapter.   Most laptops have a switch somewhere to turn on the wifi device.  On many laptops this button is on the front where it can easily be switched off if you hold the laptop too close, but it could be anywhere.

Also the adapter may not be recognised or have the drivers installed
From Device Manager >
Action >
Scan for Hardware Changes >
Let windows install any drivers

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

arch

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:43 AM »

Also the adapter may not be recognised or have the drivers installed
From Device Manager >
Action >
Scan for Hardware Changes >
Let windows install any drivers

Thanks, I couldn't see a switch anywhere :no:

Drivers aren't installed, connect to internet to download drivers!!!

This could be a problem. Is there any way to get drivers.

A daft question maybe, but are the drivers neant to be in the win os I've just installed? thanks :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:36:37 AM »

>>> Thanks, I couldn't see a switch anywhere

Is it perhaps on one of the Function keys?  ie fn & F10?
The function keys normally show symbols in a different colour.

>>> Is there any way to get drivers

Windows usually contain some of the common drivers, but not all. 
If they need to be downloaded then you could perhaps try either a network cable.... or download via another PC and then by a USB pen drive.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

arch

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »

I've run the Samsung Recovery Console to take me back to the original Win7 Home Premium. Wifi is active again. Had a look in Device Manager and the network adapter shown is ...Atheros AR9485WB-EG. Would this be the one needed to download into the Win7 Ultimate? or is it not as easy as that? Thanks for your help :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »

On my daughters new laptop I had to turn on the WiFi in the 'Bios' .
Your may need to download some drivers for the network card (you could download them to a usb stick then install them on your new os)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

arch

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »

Thanks for that. I seem to have cracked it after numerous installing and uninstalling windows I hit on the Samsung Recovery Consul. I had used this a couple of times to restore to factory settings. But this time I noticed you couldrecover just the System Software. The Wireless Lan Driver was on the list. So I'm pleased to say, victory ;D

Thanks again for your help

anything