Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Router To Be Used As An Access Point.

(1/3) > >>

tickmike:
I'm going to try get an secondhand Free wifi router from 'freecycle' (or other place  ;)) to be used in my daughters uni flat so she can use the internet on her phone.

I wanted to know if they can all be configured or are some locked to an ISP's settings and can not be changed by me.

kitz:
Some are locked to SPs (ie sky), but the main problem could be DHCP depending upon the uni set up (and whether they allow) 

Normally id ensure that the subnet is the same & assign the AP router an IP in the same range as that in the uni range of LAN IPs and make sure DHCP is disabled on the the AP

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: kitz on February 25, 2013, 06:09:40 PM ---Some are locked to SPs (ie sky), but the main problem could be DHCP depending upon the uni set up (and whether they allow) 

Normally id ensure that the subnet is the same & assign the AP router an IP in the same range as that in the uni range of LAN IPs and make sure DHCP is disabled on the the AP

--- End quote ---

Hmm,

Choosing that IP address could be a challenge.   

The trouble is, if you choose one that happens to be already assigned, or one that Uni's DHCP server subsequently assigns, then some other bit of kit connected to the Uni LAN might stop working, might it not?   That might make their IT admin staff slightly agitated.

Ideally I suppose, the router should get its own IP from the Uni's DHCP server, but I think routers generally need a fixed IP?

tickmike:
I know it's done as one of her flatmates does it and yes it's officially not permitted in her private halls ;)  :no:.
Edit ... It's a fix IP from there system (Mnet). Thinking about it must be DHCP and not fixed because I think I have seen different address's
I was thinking to put that on one of the routers RJ45 sockets and have another one from the router feed her laptop and then have the WiFi on with security for her phone.
If I had the Router DHCP on another sub-net. it could not only then supply her laptop and phone but her mates laptops / phones as well when they sleep over ?.
Would that work ?.

burakkucat:
I'll answer that with a cautious 'yes'.  :-\

Essentially Ms Tick has an RJ45 socket in her room which supplies the NAT'd service from a DHCP server over an Ethernet cable.

You will need to set up that proposed subsidiary device to take the output of that socket as the source to its own DHCP server. I.e. its own DHCP server needs to be the DHCP client to that which emanates from the wall socket. You are going to be in the realms of both double NAT'ing and double DHCP'ing. Once everything is working on that LAN via Ethernet cables, you will then have the fun of turning on the WAP and ensuring that it is secure -- so that only authorised devices can make use of the bandwidth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version