Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: FTTC long line 2.6km - Stats check after problems  (Read 20871 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC long line 2.6km - Stats check after problems
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

Did you leave an alternative number for the engineer to ring, i.e.: your mobile phone ??

I'm not justifying what may have gone on with your visit, as it is bang out of order if you've been the victim of a 'Can't be arsed' engineer. However, I can tell you from personal experience that on quite a few occasions over the years, no amount of banging on the door or ringing the landline resulted in the EU giving access.

"I was in the garden", "I don't answer numbers I don't know", "I just nipped out" ……….. are excuses given if I manage to get them on their mobile number.

The only other issue could be the EU being a proper oining sod ?. I've done it myself with an EU on my own patch. He was konrado's cousin, I'm sure ??  ;) ;D ;D. Before anyone jumps down my throat, there's a heck of a lot of history to that particular EU's story.

To sum up though, it does appear on the face of it your line-length may have put a feint-hearted engineer off attending. Especially if he's on a 'Performance Plan' for low productivity. He could be a world-class engineer, but that means jack in todays BT. More prod, more prod ….. is the mantra.  ::) :-X :no:

Crickers

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »

Yep, all contact details given.  I was sat at my desk which overlooks the drive for the entire time.

I try to be nice to all engineers who come visit, at least offer a cup of tea and maybe a biscuit too. I try to treat everyone as I expect to be treated myself. All the engineers have been good so far, except one.

Its just got to the point where I think the issues which can be seen from my stats & graphs need someone with a greater skill set than has attended so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Crickers

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »

Well same engineer as previously, although very helpful was hoping for a more technical engineer if such a person exists within BT.

Found a battery fault on the line which wasn't there 4 weeks ago and resolved by swapping pairs on a section of overhead cable.

Speed has increased from 4.7 to 5.8 Mbps although I expect this to drop again once DLM has it's wicked way.

Finally managed to get the JDSU sync'd although only at 1.8 Mbps by changing the annexe used from Auto to A using the instructions provided.

Same issues still can be seen in the bitloading and hlog graphs and still have no answer what is causing this.

I will accept if this cannot be resolved, but what is unacceptable is not providing any reason for it and basically saying as the customer I should not be questioning anything.

Stats on mydslwebstats
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:12:27 PM by Crickers »

Crickers

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »

Bald Eagle mentioned power cut back in a previous post, which I understand is to prevent adsl connections being impacted.

Am I correct in thinking it would be applied across the entire D1 range rather than the specific tones that are missing?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »

the tones affected depends on your distance from exchange.

Apparently the worst range is sort of mid to long range so the distance is not long enough to stop all of the adsl1 range been used but still long enough that those tones are weak and require heavy vdsl power cutback.  My area is like that.  If the range is really long where the users only get to use a tiny amount of adsl tones then only those tones would need power cutback.  Whilst if its really short the adsl1 tones are so strong on adsl they dont need power cutback and usually it would just be the upper adsl2+ tones but even then its a weak cutback as the signal on adsl for low attenuation is much stronger than for high attenuation.

It would be very unusual for the entire D1 to have power cutback applied. As D1 is bigger than the entire adsl2+ range. With that said when the VDSL is really long like yours, then you dont even get the full D1 range usually it goes to about 860 or so..

Your bitloading indicates power cutback up to about tone 250 which is the full adsl1 range.  It looks heavy as well.  Probably losing you at least 8mbit/sync in my opinion but quite possibly more.  The problem is to remove it BT would probably need to move all adsl peeps to the cabinet as well, which isnt a good business case for them, it makes VDSL a harder sell and they have the expense of moving more hardware to the cabinet. It would also upset ofcom, as ofcom are in love with LLU.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:44:56 PM by Chrysalis »

Crickers

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »

So hopefully final update.

BT have come back with explanation of the missing tones and as expected it's due to power cut back for ADSL tones.

Thanks everyone for the info regarding this, one question remains would this cause the spike seen in the hlog graph centred on the missing tones?

It's been frustrating that it has taken this long to get an answer, BT are not the easiest company to deal with and seem to generally treat customers as idiots who should unquestionably accept things. I will however counter this by saying my contact in Newcastle has been very good, kept me informed at all times and has resolved things to my satisfaction.

I don't think other than checking every single joint and cable anything more can be done to resolve the speed issue at present. Still only obtaining half the lowest impacted speed estimate given by the checker though.

The line was upto 6Mbps but I guess DLM has now kicked in and it's back down to 5Mbps, hopefully it will stabilise and not drop down further.

Would still like to have someone with a JDSU who actually knows how to use it look at my line. Open offer with tea, biscuits and maybe a bacon butty if anyone's ever passing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything