Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strange line stats  (Read 6298 times)

Mark07

• Reg Member
Re: Strange line stats
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »

Thanks for the explanation BS, neither Plusnet or any of the engineers who attended really explained that at all but I completely understand from OR's point of view.

Unfortunately my line doesn't take the logical route to my cab (one of the guys showed me the route on his phone) I live at the bottom of a junction and instead of going up the junction and along the main road to where the cab is, it goes along my street, round the corner (back on itself a bit) along another street and then to the main road, whereas it seems properties at the end of my street just go straight to the main road, I guess it just depends on where my line was originally routed through whatever ducts etc

Looking at the route the line takes to the cab on google maps it's 480 metres, any idea how far down they'd be looking to make the joint? would it be on the nearest dp / pole or much nearer the cab? Or is that something that would only be decided on an individual basis from planning?

Thanks again

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

Quick reply .............. more than likely, it would be to the nearest DP with spare capacity. They would then request a 'Pair Divert' be put in place, which means the 'Spare' from that DP would be re-provided to your DP. Hope that makes sense ??

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »

I think so yeah, so the line would run to the spare pole next to mine, but then divert to my DP then along my current drop wire? They wouldn't connect a second drop wire from the second pole to my house.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »

Again, circumstances dictate.

If you have the old grey coloured dropwire (pole to premises) ....... then if a 2nd line is required a new wire would have to be erected, as the old stuff only has 1-pr capability.
The newer dropwire10 has provision for 2 pairs, so if you have this, and the 2nd line socket is to be provided in the same area as the original, then it would be frugal to use the spare pair.

However, (swerve ball time) the even newer dropwire has reverted back to just 1-pr, so it all depends on circumstances ?

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

I *think* the dropwire is about 10 years old, roofers for some reason decided it was in the way and they would cut it when they were doing some repairs so it got replaced then (at their expense I imagine) it looks more black than grey so it probably does have the 2 pair capacity, but (just to be awkward) if I did get a second line I'd want the master socket upstairs in the office (it'd be a dedicated work line)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

Chys -- You have confused an avian with a ruminant!  :D

since my original polite reply to you got deleted by someone, can you please explain your reply?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »

Ha ha ...... I'll take that accolade, any day of the week.  ;) ;D

PS ....... B*Cat is absolutely spot-on with his comments. The engineer would have been inputting an A1024 for faulty or defective plant.  :)

what accolade? now I am confused.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »

Look at your reply on this thread #10. You accidentally refer to me as 'Bald Eagle', which B*Cat noticed and commented on.

I, meanwhile, have commented that I'm more than happy to be mistaken for 'Bald Eagle' due to his expertise on this forum.

Capiche ??  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »

ahhh ok.

you notice I acknowledged now that the protocol you have agreed with isps's explains why engineers walk on a test pass :) meaning I have moved the blame onto the isp's when that happens as long as the GEA also passes :)

Can you confirm if there is special speed boost engineers on FTTC? as the one that recovered my speed was according to plusnet a speed boost engineer (the same guy that installed my line).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »

a) Yes, point noted about the protocols
b) Also yes, there are both ADSL and VDSL 'Boost' engineering visits.

As previously mooted (somewhere ?? I get lost with the threads), the only real difference is that 'Boost' allows for a router/Hub to be swopped whilst on-site. 'SFI' doesn't.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

So is no difference with time limit on job? plusnet told me SFI is 2 hour limit, boost is no limit.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »

The 1st / 3rd guy I had mentioned he wouldn't get another job until he marked mine as complete, but there'd likely be questions asked if he spent 4 hours on a job that passed all the tests in the first 20 minutes  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »

So is no difference with time limit on job? plusnet told me SFI is 2 hour limit, boost is no limit.

The 2hr time-constraint refers to work within the premises, rehashing the wiring etc ............ if a fault is found on our network (ie: between the NTE5 and the Exchange), determined by either the PQT test, DSL Close-out test, Eclipse test ... or indeed the 'Quiet Line Test' ... then there are NO time constraints on either engineering product.

This is why I keep stressing the protocols we are TOLD to follow.

Mark's comments relate to our internal measures, 'Task time', 'Time on job', 'Travel time' ........ these should play no part in the repair of the job should a fault be found, but you all know by now how the story goes ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »

since my original polite reply to you got deleted by someone, can you please explain your reply?

None of your posts have been deleted.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »

He got all giddy Eric, as he got to 1000 forum posts.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything