Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changing My ISP is it all a waste of time?  (Read 2558 times)

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
Changing My ISP is it all a waste of time?
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:29:23 PM »

OK here is my predicament I used to have AOL and my download speeds what ever part of the day were amazing.

I changed to BT and the speeds are really good in the morning and really slow in the evening. I’ve spoke to a number of people on here and given out my speed results and been told that the speeds are slow in the evenings because BT Capp there internet I use Peer2Peer like channel 4 software which lets you download shows and Sky which lets you download films but in the evenings its really slow and can only just get a connection.

So I have found out sky do not cap there internet but when I phoned up BT for my MAC code they told me that BT do not cap there internet and if I moved to another ISP I would be in the same boat.

is this true and the change over would be a waste of time?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Changing My ISP is it all a waste of time?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »

Ive just replied to one of your other posts and didnt see this one first.

Whilst BT do not officially cap - they are indeed throttling connections during peak time.  From what Ive seen its on most protocols and not just p2p :(

Sky...   well although they arent capping or throttling like BT are doing, Im not too sure if some sky exchanges are perhaps reaching saturation.

You may well be ok on sky - many are..  but after observation of a sky connection on my own exchange I'm not too sure what the future has in store.

I could be being pessimistic... but many will recall that this exchange was the first exchange in the UK which BT admitted suffered from exchange congestion..  and has always had a bit of a problem...  hence why I wonder whats going to happen in the future.

If you are in a position to migrate with a MAC, then if I were you I'd look at ISPs that have a one month contract.. then if things do go wrong at least you can get out and move on elsewhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything