Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying to set up rsw on O2 router TG582n  (Read 4739 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Trying to set up rsw on O2 router TG582n
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

[Note to moderators - Please relocate this where you see fit - thanks toulouse]

I am trying to get this excellent looking program set up on my Windows XP machine. I downloaded v2.3 in the last couple of days, and have as far as I can tell done all the configuration correctly. I am using the O2 Wireless Box V (TG582n). When I start the program monitoring, there is a message in the top of the window (in red text) which appears repeatedly, stating that no statistics have been recorded. When I then stop monitoring and exit the program, an error box pops up listing  'Access violation errors' at various hex addresses.

I suspect that I have not specified the correct login details for my router; I am using username : Administrator and password (router serial number). I have also tried the alternative username 'SuperUser' with the same password, but neither of these seems to do the trick.

As part of my troubleshooting so far, I have opened a command window and tried 'telnet 192.168.1.254', using username 'Administrator' and the routers serial number as the password. Telnet then says that user Administrator is not allowed to login to telnet via the lan. As an alternative to this I have also tried 'telnet 192.168.1.254' using username 'SuperUser' and password as before. This actually does appear to work ok, as I am able to enter telnet commands and get results back.

I was wondering if anyone might offer any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong, or is it just a case of the program not working with this particular router ? I would dearly like to get rsw working in order to monitor my line stats.

Thanks for any help with this

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Trying to set up rsw on O2 router TG582n
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »

Toulouse
I use RouterStats on my Plusnet TG582n and that telnets in happily but uses "admin" (all lower case ) for username. Could that be your log in problem? Not tried Roseways prog since RouterStats does all I need at the moment.
Tony

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »

Hey, thanks for that tonyappuk,

Until quite recently I was also using Routerstats on the TG582n. Then one day it just stopped working and I haven't been able to get it going again. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't something that O2 have done remotely (without my knowledge or approval). I will try and see if I can get Routerstats going again.

More later.......

Mick
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »

Toulouse
Just to add, my RouterStats install on Win 7 and XP initially doesn't produce stats and then without input from me starts to work after a day or so. This has happened twice but once operating properly it is stable. I went on the RouterStats forum the first time but got no useful help there. Since it's working I haven't chased the problem.
Tony

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »

Ok, once again thanks for that.

This is extremely WEIRD - I've just downloaded and installed RouterStats v6.8f, filled in the necessary and it's started up OK. Must be a YYGT !

Mick

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

Administrator should work just fine.

I think the problem is that the TG582n needs the full command xdsl info expand=enabled before it will return the required info to log such things as snr etc

Just using xdsl info returns only the connection speed and nothing much else.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11529.msg221886.html#msg221886
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »

Thanks for that Kitz. Yes it looks as if that may be the cause of my initial problem with Erics program.

Looking at the summary display in Routerstats, that very self same command 'xdsl info expand = enabled' is listed at the top of the right hand pane. So presumably Routerstats issues that command to the router to allow the full stats to be collected / displayed.

I thought it had to be something simple like that - but if you don't know the answer (as I didn't) these things become mighty confusing in a hurry.

TTFN

Mick
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »

I'm afraid I haven't yet given any attention to this type of router in rs-ux/rs-w. As mentioned in the link which Kitz provided, it doesn't appear to have a means of getting access to the Broadcom CLI, which my program depends on at present. It's been on my longer term todo list, to see if I can expand the capabilities of the program to work with this type of router, but unfortunately I haven't got there yet.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »

Ok, thanks for that Eric.

I have now reverted to using RouterStats, which as I mentioned above suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. My initial attempts to get it working again proved to be unsuccessful. However, today I have downloaded and set it all up again, and I now have RouterStats v6.8f monitoring my line again. In the meantime, I thought that I'd try your program to see if I could get that working, but now understand that I was never going to achieve that.

Thanks for your comments.

Mick

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »

Actually I owe you an apology. I see that several Thomson routers including the TG582N are in the drop-down list of routers in rs-ux/w v2.3, and they shouldn't be there. I'll remove them from the list in the next version, until such a time as I can properly interface with them
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »

No apology required.

When I saw the TG582N in the drop down menu, I had assumed that other users must have been using that router with your program so thought I'd also give it a try. I now know differently.

Thanks anyway.

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)