Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Serious interference around 700Khz  (Read 26772 times)

shirts

Re: Serious interference around 700Khz
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »

I am currently monitoring the router stats in order to identify some sort of pattern regarding the timing of the interference, after all, I don't know of any rein engineer who can locate the source of interference if the interference isn't occurring when he is actually present...........I'll keep you informed.......

Good luck............ >:(

shirts

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

Just to show the sort of interference I am getting at this moment......

shirts

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »

Does anyone know why the errors accumulate on the download side but not on the upload side ? Surely the interference would affect the line in both directions, or am I mistaken ?

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »

The upload operates at the lower end of the frequency spectrum
The download operates at the higher end of the frequency spectrum.
(and the voice calls operates at the bottom of the spectrum)
So it depends at what frequency is the interference happening.
Most of the likely sources of interference pump out the cr*p at frequencies which are in the download section of the spectrum as used by ADSL.

Added to which, the upload on ADSL is more lightly loaded as BT/DSLAM manufacturers won't allow it to operate at full throttle that it could if really pushed - unlike the download.  So there is less scope for errors to occur on the upload in the first place as there is plenty of "slack".

shirts

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »

Thanks for that  :) 

Hundleton1

• Just arrived
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

Hi I'm new to the forum but have worked in the tv and comms industry for years, spent a lot of time sifting rfi problems on tv a d radio's over the years, these days it's worse with DVB and more difacult to fully resolve. 

This noise may not be one single thing it could be a combination of everything and normally be present on the live line but only one item is perhaps directing it onto the earth or neutral line, something like a heating stat stat could do it if porly installed, even if the mains is off the stat if a manual or battery one would still switch even if the power is off, as has been said the neutral will be isolated when you shut off the main isolator but the earth is not, your house cabling acts as an antenna at such low frequencys.  The whole street could be just as bad.

What kind of earth system is your house and street on ? If you had your own rod it's TT. Then you have TNS & TNCS , the last two can make a big difference as for one the earth and neutral combined at the point of entry at your house where as the other has a separate earth back to the transformer then combined there,  with the combined earth at your house there are also earth rods added by the DNO at various points on the route from the transformer and these could be picking something up.

One common  thing iv found over the years is people often assume that finding the source and stopping it is the solution however often it's not, you would be better trying to limiting its affect on your system, iv recently seen some one replaced the bt incoming cable from the box out side to their phone point with screened cat 6 and earthed the shield, never under estimate ferrite beads on cables,  you could also try running your router on 12 battery when the noise is causing the most problems to see if a clean supply helps,(most routers are 12v)

One last though, when the noise is happening have you tried disconnecting your router? Perhaps the noise in on the line it's self ?

Often their is no one solution but a combination of things can improve problems.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »

" never under estimate ferrite beads on cables, "

YES but WHICH ferrite bead ?  There are many grades of ferrite with permeabiliies ranging from ten into the thousands, for use at various frequencies. and size anything from 2 mm to 2 cm diameter.
I agree they can be very useful but " a ferrite bead" is like "a car"  - a model T or a BMW ? Also I know of one instance where the position along the cable made a considertable difference to  performance !

shirts

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:38 AM »

re Hundleton1
Apologies for the delay in replying. I've read and digested your post at least half a dozen times, and you've given me a lot to think about, and look into. Unfortunately i'm no expert at this and I am extremely grateful for any ideas that can rectify this problem. Your point about the screened cat6 cable is something I've already set in motion. I shall keep you updated......
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]