Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: what is a DACS line and how do openreach DE-DACS the line  (Read 8232 times)

rico45

i work for an isp provider (obviously cant say who) but there was an issue with a line that was a DACS line and the engineer advised that the line would have to be DE-DACS apparently this isnt as easy as this any one know more, i know what it stands for and that it is something to do with telephone and fax , thats about it .
       Thanks  :baby: :baby: :baby:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: what is a DACS line and how do openreach DE-DACS the line
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

It's 2 premises "sharing" a single line by effectively multiplexing. Incompatible with broadband.
Requires an extra line to be found or run from the exchange to remove.
Note; It's NOT the old-school party line, both work at the same time, but just for voice. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Access_Carrier_System

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »

As HP has alluded to, it was a way (back in the day), of providing 2 dial tones over just 1 MPF (Pair of wires). They were introduced as a short-term solution to provide service, whilst the planning department worked on a way of providing more capacity to DP's (Distribution Points - IE: Telegraph Poles).
As is the case, it became the 'preferred method' to deliver Dial Tone to a new EU (End User), and they were quite prevalent within our networks.

With the advent of Broadband (DSL), the powers that be rolled out a DACS removal programme that saw dedicated teams working on this each and every day. The reason being that DSL will not work over DACS.

There are still quite a few out there, and funnily enough I had to remove one just recently to provide service at my Dad's new flat. How the process should work (in days of yore), is that upon receipt of an EU's order, Openreach will check the routing and records of the feeding DP and if indeed a DACS is found to be in play, an additional task should then be 'built' for the planners to come up with a solution. More often than not, this will require underground intervention to 'push a pair' on from another DP with spare capacity, to the DP with the shortage, or to 'pull a pair back' from a DP further on from the one that has the shortage. These are called 'Pair Divert' tasks.
Once the UG (Underground) engineer reports back that the task can be, and has been completed, the order can then progress to the next stages. This will be things like, Frames Jumpering tasks, OMC tasks, Robotic Line Test tasks, Billing tasks ...... etc etc.

DACS removal has got quite easy these days, and planning very rarely get involved. The reason being is that once upon a time, a lot of folk would have two lines per household, as back then you could not get on the Internet (Via the 56k dial-up Modem), and use the landline at the same time. Mobile phones weren't as marketable then, as they are today.
So with the onset of DSL, which allows dual phone and Broadband usage at the same time, spare capacity to DP's increased along with the timeline.

I hope this gives some kind of insight, and feel free to ask if any more info is needed.

By way of a PS ...... we were told that the DACS technology had been developed by Iran (or Iraq, can never remember which), in order that the other country couldn't 'tap' into their PSTN lines and listen in to conversations. If they did, they would just hear 'White Noise'. I can't prove whether this is true or not I'm afraid. What I can say is true, is that BT at one point were going to introduce HAPS, which effectively provided 10 dial tones over the 1 MPF !!!!!!!!! Thank the good lord for DSL.

PPS .... DACS work at 140Vdc, when you're up a pole and it's raining, touching the 'live' is an experience. ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »

.... and just to complete the info youve already been given above...  theres a little bit more (and some photos) on the site wiki :- DACS  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything