Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.3 released  (Read 8919 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v2.3 released
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »

If you upgrade from an earlier version by just copying the executable over, for this version there's a new file routers.dat which should also be copied.

Changes since v2.2:

- rearranged popup hints into shorter lines, to avoid truncation on some systems
- increased space available for text captions so they don't disappear on some systems
- corrected error whereby change of graph line thickness wasn't propagated to all graphs
- changed the way in which graph clipping is implemented; unclipped values are now stored, and
  the clipping level can be changed at any time
- control of the clipping level is now implemented separately on each graph which can benefit
  from it
- filenames of snapshots can optionally be ordered by date/time or graph type
- basic configuration now includes a router model selector to fill in default details

http://rsux.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.3 released
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

Thank you for the ongoing enhancements of and your hard work with, this utility.

Testing is in progress, as I type this post.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »

My breath is duly bated. :)
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »

Yes, thanks for the utility.  As a suggestion, I don't know if am alone and whether it is easy to do, but I would prefer it if the windows "X" minimized the application rather than unpleasantly closed it with an error exception.   I seem to have bad habit of closing it by accident.  A quit button or right click option would be my preferred way for closing it and would save me from shutting it inadvertently when closing other windows.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »

I attach the two 'snapshot' graphs as an example of what I am now seeing.

There does not appear to be sufficient adjustment available for the FEC graph.  :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »

Yes, thanks for the utility.  As a suggestion, I don't know if am alone and whether it is easy to do, but I would prefer it if the windows "X" minimized the application rather than unpleasantly closed it with an error exception.   I seem to have bad habit of closing it by accident.  A quit button or right click option would be my preferred way for closing it and would save me from shutting it inadvertently when closing other windows. 

I agree that it's a bit annoying when you hit the exit button by mistake. I've considered making the exit button minimise it to the system tray, but not all desktops have that feature. I think I might add a request for confirmation before closing it, and perhaps make this a configuration option for people who don't like such things.

By the way, are you using Linux or Windows, and does it always give an error when you shut it down?
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »

I attach the two 'snapshot' graphs as an example of what I am now seeing.

There does not appear to be sufficient adjustment available for the FEC graph.  :(

Clipping the FEC graph is a bit of a problem, because the possible range of values is so large. I wonder whether to leave the clipping range as it is and add a button to disable clipping on that graph?
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

I am using windows XP almost all the time and can't usefully comment on when I only once tried it in linux.   The errors on closing were bad with the earlier versions, a long succession of things to close but since V2 it has been a single error which only occurs some of the time and not, I think, when it says it is sampling - it gives "closing" then.  I have yet to get an error from the current version, but that is what happens when you try to get an error.

I agree if you have one the system tray would be the best place to minimize to.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »

Eric its running OK here but for one minor problem. As burakkucat says the FEC clipping is insufficient at 2000/min, it should be more!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »

Clipping the FEC graph is a bit of a problem, because the possible range of values is so large. I wonder whether to leave the clipping range as it is and add a button to disable clipping on that graph?

Perhaps make the FEC graph an exception so that the scale of its Y-axis always dynamically resizes according to the maximum value?  :-\

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »

Because the levels are so much lower during the day, I'd like to retain the option to use clipping on the FEC graph, so I'm thinking of increasing the clipping range and also having checkbox beside it to disable clipping. I think that would cover all needs without being over-complicated.
  Eric

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »

Have you already thought to add an option to enable logarithmic scaling on the FEC graph?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »

Have you already thought to add an option to enable logarithmic scaling on the FEC graph?

That's a very good idea, and no, I hadn't thought of it. I'll give it some serious attention.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »

I'm sure none of us want to overload you with suggestions but one idea came to me in the early hours of yesterday morning -- it would be nice that when the utility is stopped it 'automagically' saves a snapshot of every graph that were being displayed, prior to the pressing of the 'stop' button.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »

I'm sure none of us want to overload you with suggestions but one idea came to me in the early hours of yesterday morning -- it would be nice that when the utility is stopped it 'automagically' saves a snapshot of every graph that were being displayed, prior to the pressing of the 'stop' button.

Don't worry about overloading me - I welcome suggestions. Some things I can do quickly and easily, and others will have to take their place in the queue. This suggestion is one of the quick and easy ones.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything