Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Transferring files between networked computers - how do YOU do it?  (Read 3748 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog

The scenario is this :

Say I've got 1 or 2 files on computer A, and I want to easily and quickly open them on Computer B using the fewest steps possible.

OR say I've get a web page with a long web URL open on one machine and want to open it on a different networked machine, without retyping it. 

My solution is to have a folder on the computer that's usually switched on the most, which is shared to all other computers.  Each compuer has a shortcut to it on their desktop.  So I can drag and drop a file into it from any computer and quickly get access to it from any other.

This is how we'd do it on the VAX/VMS systems 30 odd years ago.  It works well, but I was just wondering - is there a better way?  Simpler way?

I'm using various editions of Windows here, but any thoughts involving any OS are welcome.  eg do Macs have a magic way of 'bumping' a file across to another machine with a special mouse flick, or something?

Ian

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Transferring files between networked computers - how do YOU do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »

I do the same as you.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »

I use scp between the systems.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »

I use a NAS for backups, and every PC connects to that on startup, so I use that for transfers between PCs. This doesn't rely on the 'master' PC being up and running.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »

My solution is to have a folder on the computer that's usually switched on the most, which is shared to all other computers. 
So it's acting as a server, which is the "professional" solution though the name covers many functions.
NAS is a type of file server.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:19:01 PM »

All of my systems, Windows, Mac and Linux have shares that are visible to one another on the network.  SAMBA sharng is used, which is basically the Windows mechanism.  Thus, you only need to have the 'source' and 'destination' switched on for any given fie access, the others are irrelevant.

The drawback with any file sharing however is that if somebody with a virus-infected computer ever gains access to your network, the file sharing can allow the malware to spread.   For that reason should think very carefully about exactly what you share, and whether 'guest' access should be allowed (almost certainly NOT), and ensure that only the minimum subset of users are allowed to access each share.

Problem with above arises when sharing XP home edition, as it simply shares the entire folder with every computer, no login or passwords needed. 

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

Use nfs as much as possible. scp too. Samba is a real pain to setup, but persevere.
And if you're running Python - and who isn't? - just type: python -m SimpleHTTPServer 80
Then Python serves up the directory from which you launched the command.
For long web page names, http://tinyurl.com is your friend.

Cheers,
Peter

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

I only use Linux  ;D and have an NAS (home made) not only can it take data from any of our home Computers, Tablet and Phones as a backup it also takes daily backups over the internet from my daughters laptop who is at uni xxx miles away  ;D.
I normally use SSH to transfer data (very secure  ;)) and have gone off using 'Samba' file sharing.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »

Interesting answers, thanks  :)

What I was getting at in my original post, was the quickest, easiest way of opening/transferring the file I've currently got open on computer A onto computer B.

By having a folder called Chute on the main/most used computer that is shared to all computers, and each computer has a shortcut to it on the desktop, then I can just drag the file or URL or whatever into the Chute from one computer, open the Chute on the 2nd computer, and the file is there  8)  So that's maybe 3 or 4 clicks and a mouse drag.

I only regard Chute as a temporary folder, so every now and then I delete everything in it - it's only a means of transferring files back and forth, not meant as storage.

Ian