Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk Business upgrade! -- need info on LLU resellers  (Read 5520 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
TalkTalk Business upgrade! -- need info on LLU resellers
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »

Just had a letter from TalkTalk business regarding a so called "upgrade".  I am ex Nildram on SMPF  but speaking to them it sounds as though all their ADSL customers are being moved totally to the TalkTalk home system but just marked as Business and getting VAT bills .  It seems to mean no Static IP , i.e. that goes, No annex M, and No UK based support.  :( Not sure about priority and other business things  The only good news is a lower price. Is anyone else aware of this or better informed?

I will probably try it for a while but I am thinking about moving options. Does anyone have up-to-date info on TalkTalk LLU resellers?

I may be able to consider other LLU reselllers but I trust the current LLU equipment.  SamKnows lists  AOL, C&W, Sky / Easynet, TalkTalk (CPW) and Tiscali. but I suspect some or most of these are the same DSLAM.  My current LLU is the ex Tiscali one and I don't know if the Talktalk(CPW) one is separate or the same

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TalkTalk Business upgrade! -- need info on LLU resellers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »

afaik TT retained the tiscali MSANs  for wholesale/business use - or at least that was what happened in the early days.

I suspect that tiscali home were eventually migrated over to the TT profiles on the TT msans and business/wholesale stayed on the tiscali.  I dont have any hard evidence of this though other than they still continue to list the msans separately.

----
PS, I dont know if this applies to all exchanges because it will likely depend on capacity, but when TT took over AOL, they retained the MSANs but merged them both onto the same backhaul.  The tiscali Wholesale MSAN retained its own separate backhaul.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:34:35 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »

I posted about this on the TalkTalk forum of thinkbroadband.  [1]  At the time, I was okay with it, but from further reading, it's not reassuring at all.

TBB contributor, Baby_Frogmella kindly posted a link to an article on ISP Review.  Others are clearly unhappy about the forced migration, too. [2]

TalkTalk is selling the migration as a bargain saving.  Yet there's scarcely anything to be saved. With VoIP, we don't need free landline phone calls.   The truly expensive calls on the phone bill are always the mobiles and the internationals, and they're not free.

We're currently paying £29.40 a month with TalkTalk Business, but with TalkTalk Plus we will be paying £30.45!

They're bribing us with a £2 discount for six months, for a net saving of a whopping £5.40 over the year!   Ker-ching!  Not! 

Because as Les-70 has said, in the "deal", we could lose Annex M, static IP, business grade support, and we will be gaining aggressive traffic management to boot.

Also, by migrating us to a new service, will we be tied into another 12 month contract, with early exit clauses and charges?

Is TalkTalk looking at the soon-to-be-FTTC-enabled exchanges around the country?

By forcibly migrating its customers on those exchanges to new 12 month contracts, is it trying to ensure their retention?

What of those who insist on leaving TalkTalk within the next 12 months, once FTTC becomes available on their exchange?

Will TalkTalk gouge us for the early exit charges written into the new TalkTalk Plus contract (up to £360)?

There's a second element of bribery in trying to get us to pay for 12 months (discounted) line rental up front. 

However much this is dressed up, it still looks like a bum deal.  Some people will leave on principle.

cheers, a

[1] http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/t/4216181-talktalk-business-migrating-us-to-talktalk-plus.html
[2] http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/02/uk-isp-talktalk-business-migrates-smes-to-home-broadband-package.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:15:22 PM by asbokid »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »

I am more worried now, I tried to get a definite answer on whether this would be a new contract with exit terms but was told that I would not have any lock in contract.  I am however on broadband only SMPF so that may be different. I was told that the loss of UK support and static IP's were quite definite, on Annex M it sounded like they "thought" rather knew it would go.   

I have not had much luck on finding LLU re-sellers other than of C&W LLU. Any advice??  I had better start reading what ISP's people recommend as I have bad feelings about what may be coming with TalkTalk.

p.s. I was with Pipex Business for years, then I was "upgraded" to Opal --  on the due day they fully disconnected me from the LLU.  I got back on line with Nildram in an identical contract and, to be fair to Opal the new connection fee and 3 months of subscription were refunded.  The next "upgrade" of Nildram to Opal went OK but the later "upgrade" of Opal to TTB resulted in loss of Annex M. Annex M was however recovered a few weeks later.  It took a lift and shift to get it back so I wonder whether equipment changes were going on.   The change this time sounds much bigger to me.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »

TalkTalk resellers include  Xilo, Aquiss, Vivaciti, Adsl24.

No C&W LLU here, and Sky LLU have gotten themselves in a fix with under-capacity, so they're ruled out.

Definitely no static IP? I don't really use P2P much, so the throttling on TalkTalk Plus is not too important, but no static IP is a pain.

We may as well penny-pinch and downgrade to one of TalkTalk's ultra-budget services, while we wait for FTTC.

cheers, a

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »

It may be a capacity issue at my exchange but using their line checkers  Xilo, Aquiss, Vivaciti, and Adsl24 all only show C&W LLU for me, I may try some phone calls to them to check further.   I don't know how good C&W LLU is c.f  TT/Tiscali LLU.   I am not keen on trying  21CN with its DLM  but maybe it is not that bad?

I have emailed TTB with a list of questions, one is to try to clarify whether the upgrade does or does not mean a new contract term.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »

As a postscript TTB are willing to let you opt out of being "upgraded".  I hope I have done that!.  Whether or not opting out is best may depend on what TTB features you use and what in reality the upgrade proves to be.   Most of all it seems to be a case of bad communications by TTB.

anything