Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Phone dialling fault  (Read 2704 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Phone dialling fault
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »

This past few weeks I've noticed, about one time in four when I make a call, I hear the DTMF tones then it goes straight back to dial tone.  This will persist for a minute or two, calls repeatedly failing, then is OK for a few hours.  Then it comes back again.  There is no pattern, any number is as likely as any other to fail.  DSL speeds and error rates are at an all-time 'good' (ie high/low respectively), and there's no noise or other problems once connected.

My hunch is that the exchange is at fault, or even overloaded, but clearly this could also be a faulty phone.  All handsets (from  multiple vendors) are affected, but all my handsets are assigned to a single DECT base station, which could be the culprit.  It's going to be a real pain to exclude the 'faulty phone' possibility as it means losing all my DECT extensions for the time it takes, maybe a few days or more, whilst waiting for the fault to reappear.  So I was wondering if it might also be a recognised symptom of a common exchange fault, and whether i could reasonably expect BT to look for such an exchange fault, before I go to the inconvenience of it all? 

I haven't spoken to BT  yet as my patience ran out after after a l-o-n-g time on their call queue, but I can give it another try.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Phone dialling fault
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »

Hard to say what this could be, due to it's low intermittency. If it does prove to be a PSTN equipment issue in the Exchange, it's a simple enough procedure to correct. Unfortunately, you will have to ring your SP to raise a fault, and as we all know, there will be a subsequent line test, which will very likely pass as OK. However, we do get instances where the result will say 'Line Card Fault', thus backing up your claims that it may be an Exchange issue.
Long story, short ...................... you need to ring your SP, or try new phones for a few days.

PS ........... the days of 'Exchange congestion' are well and truly behind us, so this will not be the reason behind your issue. Unless you're running an informal 'Red Nose' day from your house, and the relevant 'Trunk routers' at Oswestry haven't been informed.  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »

Thanks BS.

Maybe I'll give it a few more days and see if it cures itself.  Just hope I don't have to dial 999, and fail to connect, in that time. 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »

No worries 7LM.

PS ......... I'm sure the odds of the fault occurring, at the one time you need to ring 999, are in the Trillions-1.  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »

No worries 7LM.

PS ......... I'm sure the odds of the fault occurring, at the one time you need to ring 999, are in the Trillions-1.  :)

What made me think of it was the fact I it happened several times in succession whilst trying to call the BT faults line this morning, got me thinking 'what if....'. :D

But we have two fully charged mobiles available too so I'm not going to panic.  Hopefully the fault will either get better if somebody in BT changes something, or it'll get worse, making it easier to reproduce.  Either of these would be satisfactory progress.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »

Aha,I see. It's just the comment of , "It happens one in every four attempts", coupled with how often you need the services of 999, would probably result in quite high odds ??  ;D

We used to get this type of fault (No DMTF) occasionally, but years ago. It was when the Exchanges were migrating from Strowger, Crossbar, TXE2/TXE4/4A, to the newer System X or System Y. The answer back then was to ring our 'OMC' (Operation Management Centre) and requests a 'Cease and Re-provide'. Basically, switch the DT off then bacK on again. This appeared to 'De-bug' the problem and all was well thereafter. 

anything