Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Factory condition restore; may be a silly question  (Read 5418 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Factory condition restore; may be a silly question
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »

With the many problems that seem to get cured, but too often replaced by others :comp:, I am close to putting my computer back to factory condition.

Now what could be / is the silly question.
Should I do all the Windows updates first, or up date the BIOS and various drivers? The BIOS is 4 editions newer than what it was when computer was  bought for instance.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Factory condition restore; may be a silly question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »

Depends what you mean by putting it back to factory condition.

The revision of the BIOS really shouldn't matter, and I'd leave it with the newer version unless you have specific issues with that.

If restoring factory conditions means restoring the computer from the recovery partition/recovery DVD, then updating Windows will be 100% waste of time - it'll all be wiped and replaced with the windows install as it was when it left the factory.

Which, unless I'm misunderstanding you, means you'll lose any programs you've installed since, and any data/settings/documents/photos etc etc.

So make copies of your files first and think carefully about what you're about to do.  :-\

Ian

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »

No I meant after  restoring the computer from the recovery partition/recovery DVD, in which order would it be best to do things then?

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »

Apologies for misunderstanding  :-[

Unless anyone has differing views, and you're OK with BIOS updates, I'd be minded to put the latest version on as the first step, and THEN restore to factory.  I don't think factory reset would roll the bios back.  Then everything is installed from the new BIOS point of view, in case the BIOS update changes how Windows interacts with the hardware.

Once you've got Windows restored, then you can do your Windows Update. 

Ian

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »

Yes, I'd pretty much do that:
1. Get the BIOS up to date.
2. Factory restore
3. Apply the latest service packs from media if possible
4. Install some AntiVirus that works
5. Connect to Internet and do updates
6. Check for missing drivers and update from manufacturers web site (if it's a good factory restore this step shouldn't be needed)
7. Replace Antivirus with whatever you prefer for ongoing operation.

Somewhere along the way I'd create recovery media (CD/DVD) if you don't have any and are able to do so.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »

Thanks all! :) though I may wait until that power problem mentioned on another thread is solved.