Chat > Tech Chat

Power circuits out but no consumer unit switches tripped

(1/5) > >>

renluop:
Our wiring is protected by a Memera2000 consumer unit. Twice in last week, once when we were out and last night while we slept, we found that all apparatus covered by the power circuit (not lighting) was not working.

None of the switches had tripped, however, and, given the situation of the occurrences, overloading seems unlikely (at least to me :baby:).

Is someone here less electricity challenged than me, who might be able to suggest why  we are having this problem?

BTW I am also wondering if some of the computer problems of late might somehow be related to power supply.

roseway:
If the power circuit is out but the MCB (miniature circuit breaker) hasn't tripped, then it sounds as though the MCB has failed and needs replacing. It's an easy DIY job if you know what you're doing, but it's probably best to call in a sparks to do it.

--- Quote ---BTW I am also wondering if some of the computer problems of late might somehow be related to power supply.
--- End quote ---

Quite possibly. If the MCB has been intermittent (sparking perhaps) that would certainly disrupt any computer.

renluop:
I'm guessing the MCBs are the little brown switches? :-\ But how does one find which is the culprit, when none has tripped?

Yes, it will likely be a sparks job, but I like to try to understand, however useless that might be. ;D

roseway:
The MCBs are labelled, although I can't read the labels in your picture. The labels should make it clear which MCB controls which part of the circuit. You may have separate power circuits for upstairs and down, and maybe a separate one for the kitchen.

By the way, although a failed (or failing) MCB seems the most likely explanation, it could also be a loose wire somewhere. Do get the sparks in.

renluop:
I should have said the pic was not of my set up, just lifted from a pdf.

Will now find what local bloke is recommended.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version