Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Printer causing REIN issues slowing BT Infinity  (Read 2482 times)

SaxBlower

• Just arrived
Printer causing REIN issues slowing BT Infinity
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »

This might be useful to other trying to track down the cause of gradual speed loss, and perhaps someone might point out something that I haven't thought of.

BT Infinity Option 1 Hi Speed Fibre Broadband installed July 2012. 
Initial speed estimate 25.5 Mb/s - Speed when installed 19 Mb/s
Repeated gradual speed loss and BT remote resets
Five visits by BT Openreach to find cause. All BT cable from cabinet to house tests passed with minimal faults found.

Latest visit of 6-Feb-2013
BT Openreach engineers visited and placed a REIN detector antenna next to everything with a power supply. 
My Canon MX870 printer has a “built in” power supply and was generating interference when plugged in, even if not actually switched on. The R.E.I.N. detector generated mid to low frequency noise when it found the interference.
We unplugged the printer and the remote BT person the engineer was on the phone to said that the line was now showing no faults, thus indicating that there is a high possibility that the printer power supply was at fault.
The Canon MX870 printer will be left unplugged for a week or two to see if the speed remains constant, and if it does, they say it is almost certainly the cause of the fault.

The only other possibility that they identified on this visit was a power supply to a NeoSafe USB external USB hard drive which was causing the REIN detector give out a much higher frequency sound than the printer did, so they don’t expect that to be the cause but unplugged it just in case.

Tracking the fault by a process of elimination has been made more difficult by the fact that I have a slightly complicated home office network.
Broadband comes into a BT HomeHub3  and out into a high speed Dell PowerConnect 2716 network switch (set to default unmanaged).
The switch then distributes network connection & internet via Ethernet cable to:
  Dell desktop computer
  HPMicroServer where all my files are stored
  Canon MX870 multi function printer
  Western Digital backup device
  Sky HD box
  PlayStation3 (to stream music and photographs)
  Dell Laptop in docking station.

I have also counted at least 9 other separate power supplies to various chargers, speakers, phones etc, all of which must be emitting some RF interference

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Printer causing REIN issues slowing BT Infinity
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

You MAY be able to isolate the culprit(s) with a Medium Wave transistor radio held near to the suspect devices.  Tuning to 600 kHz it suggested for adsl but FFTC may be different - it is probably broadband interference so won't be too critical.
 Hopefully you should be able to reduce the effect with an external 50Hz power line filter.

SaxBlower

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »

Hi. Just come back from 10 days abroad.
Just before I went, I unplugged everything in the home office/study except the desktop computer & monitor, home server, Openreach modem and BT HomeHub3.
My wife ran the BT speed tests each day and it continued to drop, even stopping entirely one day.   :-\

JGO has recommended that I try an external 50 Hz power line filter.  Where can I get one of these and what form do they take?
My power setup is 4x Belkin surge protected trailing multi-socket leads, 2 of which are "daisy chained"

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »

" JGO has recommended that I try an external 50 Hz power line filter.  Where can I get one of these and what form do they take? "

Form - many;  from components for DIY assembly through an assembled filter to place inside the offending unit to a packaged device with 13 amp P & S.

Where - either a web search or try Maplin.

Good luck

anything