Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TalkTalk intermittent page load problem since 02 Feb 2013  (Read 15115 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
TalkTalk intermittent page load problem since 02 Feb 2013
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »

I mentioned this as a reply in another thread, but thought I'd post here as well.

There seems to be a problem on TalkTalk, perhaps limited to those in the South East of England.

I've been seeing it since Saturday morning.

Symptoms :

Web pages either don't load at all and time out, or only partially load.  Often, pressing F5 to refresh will cause the page to load quickly and without problem, straight after it just failed.

Some sites seem largely unaffected (I've had no problem with Twitter) whereas others seem to be much worse (BBC site seems very difficult to access at all).

The line stays in synch and there are no obvious dropouts or line problems reported at the user's modem.

So far, TalkTalk haven't responded!

There are currently 7 pages of people reporting the problem on the TalkTalk messageboard, here http://talktalkmembers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95382

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TalkTalk intermittent page load problem since 02 Feb 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »

I thought it had been fixed this morning, but I was wrong, and it's still bad at times. I'm in Kent.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

Mine too in Thanet, been bad for a couple of days now. I tried opening a forum thread on TT but despite asking others not to post in my thread it still got other posts. Problem is that the Forum support staff work strictly from oldest to newest post in that order so any additional posts make your thread newer and therefore futher away from getting one of the Support staff to do anything. Ian's post refers to a thread 7 pages long now and being ignored because it is too new - stupid or what. There have been a couple of TT staff on the forum today but not done anything to any of the threads which report this problem.

I'm almost deciding to phone their support line, only thing putting me off is that I will get the run around from some daft idiot with a script to follow and not an English accent!

I believe TT use hidden proxy for all of their connections which you cannot bypass unless you are using a VPN and I suspect it is this which is losing the connection for web searching.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

I believe TT use hidden proxy for all of their connections which you cannot bypass unless you are using a VPN and I suspect it is this which is losing the connection for web searching.

Not just limited to web searching, as I've had intermittent problems with the Windows Live Mail program timing out on pop3, and the iPlayer built into my Sony TV either fails to load beyond the "please wait..." screen, or hangs when trying to look for a programme. 

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »

Not just limited to web searching, as I've had intermittent problems with the Windows Live Mail program timing out on pop3, and the iPlayer built into my Sony TV either fails to load beyond the "please wait..." screen, or hangs when trying to look for a programme. 

Well I dont use TT for mail and that's been fine for me which is why I suspected it might be browsing only.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »

Just to increase the fun, the members' forum is currently unusable. Clicking on a message thread to read it results in:

"Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 786432) (tried to allocate 1572864 bytes) in C:\_www\forums\showthread.php on line 1885"
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »

I've just tried setting up a free VPN with VPNBOOK.COM (whose servers are in Romania!  :o )

This utterly fixed the problem - the PC connected via the VPN was loading web pages quickly and without problem, meanwhile a 2nd PC that was connected in the usual manner was only partly displaying the Google logo before eventually timing out.

I have no idea as to the security of the VPN, so I've switched it back off again (Kitz forum wouldn't let me in using it, it said I was trying to spam!)

However, the good news is it might now be fixed - since rebooting and disabling the VPN, I can access web pages without problem so far....

[EDIT : Spoke too soon.  The BBC site is working well now (was abysmal earlier) but other sites selected at random are slow or failing to load or working as normal.

Loading same site via VPN PC works fine though, so it's nowt to do with the modem or phone line!]

Ian
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:50:37 PM by sheddyian »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »

My only observations over these last few days has been of my PPPoA session terminating and failing to re-initialise. The sync between my modem/router and the exchange based TalkTalk MSAN has not been affected.

As can been seen, The Cattery is located in Suffolk. I only take TT's LLU'd ADSL2+ service, not the Openreach based NGA GEA VDSL2 (i.e. FTTC) service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »

My only observations over these last few days has been of my PPPoA session terminating and failing to re-initialise. The sync between my modem/router and the exchange based TalkTalk MSAN has not been affected.

As can been seen, The Cattery is located in Suffolk. I only take TT's LLU'd ADSL2+ service, not the Openreach based NGA GEA VDSL2 (i.e. FTTC) service.

My connection has stayed up solidly throughout, excepting where I intervened for reboot and swapping of kit when I believed the fault to be my end or my doing.

But it does seem to be geographic, most posts reporting the issue on the TalkTalk forum are from Kent/South East, though a few from East England.

Still, someone has just confirmed TalkTalk know about the fault and are looking at it.  But why couldn't they put it up o the service status page?  :-X

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:28 PM »

Still, someone has just confirmed TalkTalk know about the fault and are looking at it.  But why couldn't they put it up o the service status page?  :-X

I've just read the former and agree, absolutely, with the latter.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »

TalkTalk have just acknowledged in the support forum , on thread page 13, that there is a problem!

.. and as I typed this, have announced that the problem is fixed!

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »

Well fixed it may be but I'd like to know why such shoddy support happens over a weekend. One thread reached 14 pages before any responce was seen from TT and that was today 2 days after opening the thread.

Stuart

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »

Well fixed it may be but I'd like to know why such shoddy support happens over a weekend. One thread reached 14 pages before any responce was seen from TT and that was today 2 days after opening the thread.

Stuart

Agree 100%.  Faults are understandable, but acknowledgement and feedback are essential. 

A simple, "we are aware of customers in locations x experiencing problems, and are investigating.  We believe it to be a routing issue" would have been better than nothing.

And whilst I understand that it's important for telephone support to rule out usual problems by getting users to reset modems etc, it's important to let them know what's going on so that they can advise people accordingly.

Very poor support.

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »

Not that I expect a response or anything to come of it but I have tonight emailed the CEO of TalkTalk to complain about the abysmal handling of this issue. Should I get a meaningful response I will let you know.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

I won't be holding my breath, but good luck.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2