Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Infinity Wireless Dropping  (Read 10079 times)

tejmeister

• Just arrived
BT Infinity Wireless Dropping
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »

Hello, novice here. We are in Ealing, West London, and have BT Infinity. We are experiencing dropping on our wireless, intermittently and at random times. Ethernet cable works fine. Set up as follows:

Huaewi HG612 takes phone line into it.
Netgear WNDR3400v2

This has been an ongoing issue for many months now, BT have replaced our home hub a number of times (never the Huaewi box). Every time an engineer has visited they have said everything is working fine - but the problem is still present and intermittent across a range of windows/mac/android devices. Out of desperation, we bought the netgear router which didn't change a thing.

These are our line stats:

Port   Status   TxPkts   RxPkts   Collisions   Tx B/s   Rx B/s   Up Time
WAN   100M/Full   327531   470123   0   127394   1053081   00:09:12
LAN1   Link Down   2303   0   0   728   0   --
LAN2   100M/Full   00:09:12
LAN3   Link Down   --
LAN4   Link Down   --
2G WLAN b/g/n   300M   49317940   39254993   0   3171808   6344951   00:09:16
5G WLAN a/n   300M   309342   23369   0   284071   4165   00:09:16

Is there a solution to this or should I just leave BT for another ISP. There are a number of LLUs at our exchange (Ealing, LWEAL)?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT Infinity Wireless Dropping
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »

Have you tried to change the wireless channel ?? If not, move it to one of the higher channels and see if that irons out your problem ?

tejmeister

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »

Hi there - thanks for this - yes we did try and in fact I've just tried again, same issues occurred. It's really starting to perplex me now!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »

Hmmm ?? Some of the others may have more to give, but I can't think of anything else personally. If it's only the wireless connection that is proving troublesome, it isn't an Openreach issue whatsoever I'm afraid. Changing the white modem (Huawei) wouldn't make a jot of difference to the issue.

If the Hub maintains synch throughout, then it has to be a geographic/hardware issue ?? Sorry I can't help further.  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »

Im with BlackSheep on this one.  Changing channels is normally the first step :/

Does the Wireless connection have a clear line of sight to the router.  Is there anything nearby which could be blocking the signal or causing interference?

Is it possible to monitor the signal strength on one of the devices?

Netstumbler may be a good diagnostic tool
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »

Netstumbler may be a good diagnostic tool
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

I can't get that link to work, Kitz.

I personally use inSSIDer - you can very quickly see which channels are in use, and signal strength of each.

Wiki article about it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InSSIDer
Official site : http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

And I'd add my voice to the chorus of "check which channels are in use, and try changing to a free one"

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »

>> I can't get that link to work, Kitz.

Weird - it seems to be working fine here ???  Its just a wee interpretation of Netstumbler and signal strength.

>> inSSIDer began as a replacement for the aging NetStumbler

Probably best going with inSSIDer then.   Admittedly my 'days of NetStumbler' go back quite a few years  :-X
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »

Weird - it seems to be working fine here ???  Its just a wee interpretation of Netstumbler and signal strength.

The link is now working for me here, so maybe it was a hangover from the weekend's TalkTalk problems I was seeing!

Ian

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »

I now this sounds strange BUT have you checked the microwave!  :lol: No if your wifi is being disrupted and it is on more than one device, then something is generating a wifi signal! So what in your house can do that? Or in the neighbourhood. Police transmitters local Starbucks etc. There is an App for checking wifi it might give you a look see to find what is disrupting yours.
Dwight

tejmeister

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

Thanks very much all for the replies. Kitz, when the signal drops out, you could be standing right next to it and the same issue occurs. Interestingly Dwight there is a microwave less than a metre away from the hub (open plan kitchen / living area). Although its round the corner from the hub - rather stupidly it never occurred to me that this could be an issue.

My next question was going to be if there is any program I could run to monitor the connectivity. I think it is more an issue of connectivity rather than signal strength, as when the connection drops the router is still visible, just no ability to connect. That said it seems that the next step is to run the program you suggest and monitor, firstly with the microwave where it is and then secondly moving it as far away as possible.

I can't think what else might cause interference in our current set up, so ill give that a try. Thanks all for your help! Ill keep you posted.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »

Now then, this is beginning to sound more like you're losing the PPP Session (IP address) than the actual wireless connection.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »

We have a certain area where I work, that sees this very same issue spring up more frequently than it really should do. The only thing I will say, is that it is ECI equipment, not Huawei like yours is.

You may want to get Bald Eagle involved in this, as he is the 'stats-master' when it comes to all things FTTC. If all else fails, ask your ISP to view the 'Radius Log' to see how many 'log on attempts' are being made on a daily basis. You could indeed need a new white modem, or more likely, a 'Lift & Shift' (A new FTTC port allocating). All this is based on my assumptions of what I've read. Others may see it differently ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . If it is a case of 'loosing' the PPPoE service, then wired and wireless devices should be affected exactly at the same time, without exception.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:56 AM »

Yup, good point B*Cat. Forgot the OP comments it's ok via Ethernet.  :blush: