Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dlink DSL-2780 (TalkTalk) hidden config - parental control  (Read 4994 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Dlink DSL-2780 (TalkTalk) hidden config - parental control
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »

Browsing through the file system of my TalkTalk supplied DSL-2780 modem/router, I found some html setup screens that don't seem to be used by the actual www interface when configuring the modem.

I thought I'd document them here, in case they're of use to anyone.

There's a parental filter built in, which appears to work.  Can't find a way of accessing this from the usual web interface menus, but if you go to this address

http://192.168.1.1/ADVANCED/ad_parental_control.htm

you'll be able to configure it.  Log in with your usual modem config username and password.

The config allows you to allow access to only those websites named, or to block access to them.

So you could prevent any access to certain sites, or you could contain access to only a few approved sites.

The field marked "name" is for your name label, can be anything you want.  The Website URL keyword field can be either a full address, or a partial one.

I put http://www.bbc.co.uk as a deny filter rule, and when applied, attempts to access the BBC site just time out.
Removing the rule restores access immediately.

Putting bbc as a deny Website URL keyword prevents access to bbc.co.uk,  the messageboard notbbc.co.uk etc - anything with "bbc" in the URL.

Why is it not available from the usual modem web interface?  Perhaps because TalkTalk offer their own surfsafe product that does filtering/restriction at the ISP end.  Or perhaps there are problems with it - but my limited testing appears to show it working as expected.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Dlink DSL-2780 (TalkTalk) hidden config - parental control
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »

Could it be a feature that one has to pay to use? In other words, agree to give TalkTalk more money each month and they provide you with access to software on their site which modifies the usage of the modem?

If so, it's very sneaky and something to be 'jumped on' from a great height.  :-X

Knowing that all modems or modem/routers which are provided by subsidiaries of the BT Group plc (either under their own names or the generic BT name) contain a 'busy-body', the BTAgent, that reports back undefined data to the Evil Empire of Newgate Street I have great suspicion of any such devices provided by any CP/ISP. My advice would be to purchase a modem or modem/router, direct from a reliable manufacturer . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything