Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.0.1 released  (Read 7753 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v2.0.1 released
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »

This small bugfix version hopefully fixes the login problem with some routers.

http://rsux.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.0.1 released
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »

Eric this version installed just fine and ran on first click, permissions fine. The other one only failed the first time after correcting permissions.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »

Thanks Stuart. In that case I'm fairly certain that the problem was a one-off relating to the upgrade. The program does a bit of conversion of some of its configuration during the first run of this version.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »

Just went to close it as I was turning off the PC tonight and it hung on hitting the red X, was not sampling at the time. After a short while the 'Application not responding' message appeared and was able to close it.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »

>>> it hung on hitting the red X

I've got some ideas about this, and I'll probably be changing the way the program closes down.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »

Eric I've had another hang, I left it paused for an hour or more and when I went back to it when I hit start again I got what looked like it might be the small window which shows an exception but there was nothing in it and had to kill it again. I know I should probably have stopped it but I just forgot I left it paused.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »

Stuart, this is an issue which I'm aware of, and I haven't got around to dealing with it, so I apologise. I need to find a way of handling long pauses.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »

One other question, should there be an Apply button on each of the config tabs or do you have to go back to the first one to click Apply? There is only the one showing on my version.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »

Only the first tab needs Apply. The reason is that the items on the first tab have to be copied elsewhere in the program before they are recognised, whereas the items on the other tabs are read directly by the program as needed. Removing the unnecessary 'Apply' buttons from the other tabs was part of the tidying-up in this version. Sorry if it caused confusion.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »

No problem I just thought I'd seen them before (and I had) I did hit the apply button just in case on the 1st tab  ;)

Stuart

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »

I noticed that the recording is stopped if a resync occurs. The event log says "Unknown Event" and "No DSL connection" is displayed permanently.
Shouldnt it resume recording as soon as the DSL connection is established?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

I noticed that the recording is stopped if a resync occurs. The event log says "Unknown Event" and "No DSL connection" is displayed permanently.

Yes, the present arrangement isn't ideal. I think a better option would be to keep sampling while the connection is down and just record zero values during that time. I'll try to build that into the next version.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »

Yes, the present arrangement isn't ideal. I think a better option would be to keep sampling while the connection is down and just record zero values during that time. I'll try to build that into the next version.

Ah, morphium has raised one of the points I had noticed. I agree that to record zero values would be the best solution for that situation.

My other observations:
  • A zero size file called 'test' is created. Possibly generated by the snapshot process?
  • When configuring the graph colours, there are more than just colours offered in the option list.
  • Although the graphs were configured to have a plain white background, the SNR graph has a distinct pink tinge. Example below.
  • The Speed graph does not have a Take snapshot button. Example below.
  • WIth the Bitloading graph, right-clicking below the chart does not clear the details. Only right-clicking in the region of the instructions will work. Examples below -- please note the position of my cursor in each example.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »

Thanks for those comments:

1. Yes, the zero-byte file is a test to make sure that the directory is writeable. No doubt there's a more elegant way to check this, but it's a low priority.
2. The items which aren't specific colours are the current system default colours for various parts of the display. The list very possibly includes items which don't exist on every system.
3. Your description of that colour as 'pink' had me puzzled for a moment. :)  I must have omitted to apply the changed colours to every graph. Will be fixed.
4. It does have a snapshot button actually, but the positions of the features below the graphs have an annoying habit of drifting around all by themselves. I thought I'd fixed this, but obviously I haven't. Will be fixed.
5. This did work as described at one time, but I agree that it doesn't now. Will be fixed.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »

Thank you, Eric.
  • Perhaps it could be named something else other than 'test' -- preferably unique to rs-ux -- and then deleted once the directory status has been verified?
  • There are not only just colours in that list . . .
  • I don't know how to describe the colour . . . other than 'not white'.
  •   :)
  •   :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything