Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.0 released  (Read 9683 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v2.0 released
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »

A fairly substantial upgrade this time, with several new features and improvements:

- rewrite of section of program dealing with telnet access (code cleanup)
- added an option to tweak the SNR margin
- added graphs showing bitswaps per tone and bitswaps per minute
- rearranged the tabs to group related graphs under one main tab
- renamed Error log as 'Event log' and it now includes entries for other events
- added a date indicator to the time scrolling graphs
- true DSL link time is shown on the status bar for those routers which provide this data
- corrected error in VDSL2 band plan determination
- Help button now takes you to the program website instead of local help files

Full information and downloads at http://rsux.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.0 released
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:26 PM »

Someone has, clearly, been very busy. Thank you for this new, improved release, Eric.

It has already been downloaded (even though the date is not yet 1st February 2013) and is about to be tested.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »

>>> (even though the date is not yet 1st February 2013)

I thought I would make Christmas come early this year. ;D
  Eric

rhohne

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »

Can only get it to work on DG834GT if I enable "Requires command to enter shell" (default command gives me second busybox shell). When disabled I get
Code: [Select]
30 Jan 2013 22:23:45 Unknown Event
30 Jan 2013 22:23:45 Recording paused
30 Jan 2013 22:23:43 Recording started
where the unknown event is the "Second stage login failure".

First couple of times I ran it on XP I got access violation errors when exiting rsw, however I'm now unable to reproduce the error.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »

Thanks, I'll look at those points.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »

I can see the reason for this now: Netgear routers have to be put into debug mode before you can gain telnet access, and in this mode the telnet command takes you straight into the CLI without having to log in. So when the program tries to log in, it's seen as an invalid CLI command. Using the second stage command just happens to work around this issue because of the login logic of the program.

I'm going to have to make a couple of changes in the login logic, which shouldn't take long.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »

Eric just a couple of very minor points, using the 32bit linux version. The executable does not extract with the executable permission which did happen with all the previous versions. Also on first run it hung on hitting the start button and had to be killed. I then restarted it, went into settings and checked them and hit apply and now its running fine. So it appears that I needed to save settings even though it had indeed picked up all my settings.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

rhohne

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »

Netgear routers have to be put into debug mode before you can gain telnet access, and in this mode the telnet command takes you straight into the CLI without having to log in. So when the program tries to log in, it's seen as an invalid CLI command. Using the second stage command just happens to work around this issue because of the login logic of the program.
The use of enabling the debug mode should be optional, as it is not needed for DGTEAM firmware. With DGTEAM you get the normal login sequence.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »

Works well with DG834G with DGteam but I had to discover for myself what has already been commented on.  I am using Annex m and the usual SNRM tweak does work with that on the line. The router disconnects then fails to reconnect.  It is same with DMT but just fine within the DGteam firmware and its GUI options approach. 

When you have recovered from your initial debugging perhaps you could think on this.  Maybe a command variation is required to re-specify annex m or explicitly force the resync.  If you or others have any suggestions I can try them in telnet.

Thanks

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »

Must have had a typo in my various tries.  :-[     In fact a command I thought I had tried did work  i.e.   adslctl configure --snr 100 --mod m . If you get bored maybe you could add an annex tick box in the configurations and add the "--mod m"  with the "--snr" tweak.   

Yours hopefully!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

Netgear routers have to be put into debug mode before you can gain telnet access, and in this mode the telnet command takes you straight into the CLI without having to log in. So when the program tries to log in, it's seen as an invalid CLI command. Using the second stage command just happens to work around this issue because of the login logic of the program.
The use of enabling the debug mode should be optional, as it is not needed for DGTEAM firmware. With DGTEAM you get the normal login sequence.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The program doesn't have any capability to apply debug mode itself, because that requires use of the web interface. I was assuming (wrongly) that you were using standard Netgear firmware and had put it in debug mode.

As it happens, I've located an old DG834GT and resolved the problem, so my initial theory was wrong.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »

Must have had a typo in my various tries.  :-[     In fact a command I thought I had tried did work  i.e.   adslctl configure --snr 100 --mod m . If you get bored maybe you could add an annex tick box in the configurations and add the "--mod m"  with the "--snr" tweak.   

Yours hopefully!

Yes, that sounds a good idea. I'll do this shortly, but probably not immediately.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »

Eric just a couple of very minor points, using the 32bit linux version. The executable does not extract with the executable permission which did happen with all the previous versions.

I'm not sure how this happened, because I haven't changed the way I build the program, but you're right. I'll check it in future.

Also on first run it hung on hitting the start button and had to be killed. I then restarted it, went into settings and checked them and hit apply and now its running fine. So it appears that I needed to save settings even though it had indeed picked up all my settings.

If you close rs-ux and start it up again now, does it still show this problem, or was it just for the first run of this version?

Eric

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »

Thank you for this new release.

Sadly it does not connect anymore, because the new version forces to enter the login details. But my device does not need any authentication at this point. If I input anything random, it fails with "second stage login failure".

Do you have an idea how to get the connection working?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »

I've just this minute uploaded a corrected version v2.0.1 to http://rsux.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2