Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One little mystery solved  (Read 5587 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
One little mystery solved
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »

I'm visiting elderly Dad this week, working through a long list of things he needs help with.   One item on the list was he'd told me 'the computer keeps telling him somebody else is using it' :o

Turns out the explanation is simple.  If you leave it (XP) idle til the screen saver cuts in, then awaken it, you get back to the welome screen at which you can either click on the user, or click 'turn off computer'.   If you click 'turn off', you get a warning that. 'Other people are logged on to this computer.  Shutting down windows might cause them to lose data'

So really it's just reminding him he's still logged in, and to save any unsaved documents etc.  I'd never noticed it myself, as I'd probably always log back in again after waking the screen saver.

One less thing to worry about.  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: One little mystery solved
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »

It's just a setting, change it so that screen savers don't go back to the login screen.  ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »

It's just a setting, change it so that screen savers don't go back to the login screen.  ;)

Thanks HP,  I probably won't change it though, I generally avoid changing the slightest thing when it comes to Dad's PC. Better the Devil he knows, and all that.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »

Does he have to log in when it boots?
I'd change both if he's the only user, so that it logs straight in to his desktop and screensavers (if he really wants one) only come on after a lengthy time and don't lock the screen. Just removes pointless things to do (and get confused about).  ;)

And change all the power settings too so that it doesn't hibernate, sleep or turn the screen off. More potential confusion.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:33 PM »

Does he have to log in when it boots?

Yes, as my Mother was also alive, and had a user, when I set it up.

One reason I like to leave well-alone is that, if any changes are made, it can lead to an association in the mind of an extreme non-techie of these changes with any other behavioural differences, no matter how unrelated.   

For example, if (say) AOL change their webmail GUI next week, the reasoning may be that it only happened since I changed the login, and the conclusion is that my change needs to be reversed as he prefered the old AOL GUI. ???

I'm actually highly impresssed by how competent he, and other people of his ilk, have become.   Tesco online grocery shopping has become the norm for Dad, for example, and that's a real life-line when winter's doing its worst.  :graduate:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

For example, if (say) AOL change their webmail GUI next week, the reasoning may be that it only happened since I changed the login, and the conclusion is that my change needs to be reversed as he prefered the old AOL GUI. ???

lmao..  I know that feeling oh so well  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything