Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Public Information Films in the 1970's  (Read 17479 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Public Information Films in the 1970's
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »

(I'm not talking about "Charley says.." and "don't polish the floor then put a rug on it" sort of Public Information Films.)

I've got this vague recollection of several commercial-like films for National Trust style places to visit, (though they may not have been National Trust.)  And I think they were shown on the BBC between programmes, perhaps as a bumper between children's shows and the sport on a Saturday.

One of them had shots of a castle, with lots of rapid zooming in and out looking at the walls, and you heard battle sounds/sword fights, but didn't see them.  I imagine it was promotion to go and visit a particular castle or something.

The other was a time lapse video of a day by a river, with pleasant sound effects of birds at the end of the day; it may have been inter-cut with other bits.  So might have been "visit the countryside" or perhaps a specific nature park or something.

Being the 70's, it seems entirely possible they were government films promoting government owned properties/places, so would be reasonable to have on the BBC.  And I remember them running for longer than a typical advert, a minute or two at least.

The thing that's annoying me is that I can't find anything much about these on the net.  Apart from a brief discussion in a forum thread that half-describes my memory of the castle one, I've found nothing, and certainly nothing on YouTube or National Archive that I can watch.  They don't appear in lists of Public Information Films that I've seen, where all the usual "Charley Says", "Tufty club" etc films can be found.

Does anyone else remember these?

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Public Information Films in the 1970's
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:36 AM »

:no:  No, sorry.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »

Have you tried 'British Transport Films' ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »

Have you tried 'British Transport Films' ?

Something made me think it wasn't a BTF, but I shouldn't rule them out on a whim - I'll have a look.  Thanks  :)

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:04 PM »

Perhaps that could be the 'trade test colour films', that broke the monotony of the all-afternoon test card?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_test_colour_films

I do remember these, and couldn't see 'home made car' often enough  :)

PS:  Specifically, one of above named A Journey Into The Weald of Kent , narrated by John Betjeman, sounds credible?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:40:32 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »

I belive the UEA (University of East Anglia, Norwich) is building up a library/archive of all sorts of Documentary and information media. Partly for the content but also how such things were filmed and presented.

I know first and formost they collate anything they can find out about East Anglia. But I belive they are looking to collect any such material

I'm not sure how accessible their archive is. (the main library is very accesible to the general public on campus)

I'm sure there is a site from an enthusiast with Public info films that I've seen some years ago although I think it certainly concentraits on the 'Charlie Said' Type stuff

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »

Apologies for responding to my own thread almost a year after I started it, but today I found a couple of the films on Youtube!

Sadly, not the exact ones I was looking for, but these seem to be the sort of thing, and the 2nd one does now ring very slight bells.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZfOn7DaUI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
The Ridgeway Path

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bcxwcO2ncI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Cleveland Way

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »

I've just watched them both and neither "ring any bells" with me.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »

lol love the 'wild white rabbits'   8)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

wantagewill

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »

Hi sheddyian
I know the films you are looking for, i came across this thread searching for the very same. Have you had any luck yet? i'm still looking. I remember the type of film well, Castles & Abbeys and such like. I remember them being very kind of eerie, if that's the right word, of course i was pretty young then. Anyway, you are not alone in looking for them.
Best Regards, Will   

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »

Hi sheddyian
I know the films you are looking for, i came across this thread searching for the very same. Have you had any luck yet? i'm still looking. I remember the type of film well, Castles & Abbeys and such like. I remember them being very kind of eerie, if that's the right word, of course i was pretty young then. Anyway, you are not alone in looking for them.
Best Regards, Will

Nothing further has come to light, though I've not looked for any of them recently.  I shall have another go.

In fact, my previous post of two of the films, came to light because I had a message from someone else who had come to the forum also looking for them, and mentioned a different film which I then searched for.

So I'll have another look soon, see if there's any more appearing.

Ian

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

Ian   ....   In all probability I have the wrong end of the stick here   ::)   but does this shed  (pun intended  ;D) any light on the subject for you.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/aboutfilms.htm

I don't recollect them at all ...but I'm such a young thing   :D

Kate  :flower:
It's today that matters !

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »

Ian   ....   In all probability I have the wrong end of the stick here   ::)   but does this shed  (pun intended  ;D) any light on the subject for you.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/aboutfilms.htm

I don't recollect them at all ...but I'm such a young thing   :D

Kate  :flower:

That's a fantastic index of the UK Public Information Films, thanks  :drink:

But sadly, they are the fairly well known ones.  They have been released on DVD, and most are on Youtube.  I had a look through the index, and didn't see any of the ones I was searching for.

The film(s) I'm referring to (and have linked to two of them, above) seem to be a different government body or group or scheme altogether, and which seems to have been mostly forgotten about. 

I think I was wrong to call the films I was trying to find "public information films" as they don't equate to the films in that index of "learn to swim" "children get trapped in old fridges" and the like.

I wish I knew who was behind them, or made them.  I can't help thinking it was probably a 1970's government initiative, but that's just my opinion, mainly based on conjecture.

Ian

alexhoskins

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »

What you are looking for I think is "Ancient Monuments 1 & 2" from the Public Announcement Film Unit. 

I remember them well and Ive been searching for a copy since the early days of the internet - to no avail I'm afraid. 

They were short films of about 7 mins in length, each made up of shorter clips of a couple of minutes each, detailing a different castle or abbey.  They had quite wacky photography, muted colours, lots of pans with fisheye lenses and zooming in and out of battlements.  All I think with slightly medieval music, battle cries and a voiceover telling you all about the location, voiced by someone a bit like the guy who did Protect and Survive!

They used to show them between programmes, maybe on a saturday morning or before kids tv started in the afternoon?  They stopped showing them in the early 80s as I remember.

ANCIENT MONUMENTS 1   
Public Announcement Film Unit 
Duration: 7 minutes
First showing: 7th November 1968

A selection of shorts pieced together focusing on Ancient Monuments around the British Isles:
Conway Castle in North Wales
Rievaulx & Fountains Abbey in North Yorkshire
Framlingham Castle in Suffolk

ANCIENT MONUMENTS 2   
Public Announcement Film Unit 
Duration: 12 minutes
First showing: 30th October 1972

A further selection of shorts pieced together showing Ancient Sites around the British Isles:
Netley Abbey in Hampshire
Caerphilly Castle in South Wales
Furness Abbey in Cumbria
Mount Grace Priory in North Yorkshire
Castle Acre Priory in Norfolk

heres a page about the corporation that made the films:

http://www.testcardcircle.org.uk/ttcf.html

Sadly I've never been able to find hide nor hair of them, well, apart from an old dead torrent on kickass torrents.  Looks like no one has ever uploaded either of these films to youtube or vimeo or anywhere..

Theres a guy on this forum that claims to have a copy but I've never bothered to follow it up!

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/looking-video-dvd-tv/114956-public-information-film-corfe-castle.html

anyway, good luck!  If you ever do find them please let me know! 

:-)

summerisle

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »

I have been searching for these "castle" related PIFs too and wondered if you were able to get copies??

However, I would say that the last shown dates of 1970/73 as detailed on the Britmovie forum do not tally with my memories of seeing them at least up to the very early 1980s - usually before Grandstand!

The one which I think you are referring to is the one I remember - I always had an idea that it began with C, either Conway or Chepstow. It appeared on its own and not with any other places.
Pages: [1] 2