Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Huawei HG622 VDSL2 Modem/Router (Broadcom BCM6368 Chipset)  (Read 65552 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Huawei HG622 VDSL2 Modem/Router (Broadcom BCM6368 Chipset)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »

Having raised the HG612 SNRM Tweaking Script (ADSL) on this router I can report that the HG622 ATP level seems fussy over command file input terminations. Ensuring the login files used in the tweaking script have only a <cr> ending, and using a text file with the same <cr> only ending for the exit command as well, gets it working.  A small edit is also needed pick up the sync speeds due to a change in the output style.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:38:26 PM by les-70 »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »

Can anyone report on the HG622 wireless performance?

I am connecting to 3 adapters, each  supports up to 150Mbs wireless n.  My reported wireless connection speeds are OK (36-80mbs) but the actual throughput either to another computer, or to web is dreadful.  Never more than 3-5 Mbs and very often much less, giving stutters in iplayer!.  My normal router is a  wireless g DG834g and that sustains a mininimum of 16Mbs actual throughput to web or computer to all the same adapters, I hoped for better with wireless n.   I have not experimented much with the router position or wireless setup but would like know if others are doing better.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »

I've only tested mine briefly and will need to do some more. Problem is that my HG622 is upstairs and in this house downstairs is where my wife uses the laptop it is not good reception and we use the wireless AP downstairs (connected by a powerline device). I'll 'borrow' the laptop sometime and do some tests using the HG622 upstairs and see what it gets.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

When I tested mine it was in the middle of the TalkTalk network problem, so the rather poor performance I saw might have been caused by that. I'm using a WAP at the moment, but I'll give the HG622 another go tomorrow.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »

asbokid has now run out of these. I wonder what he will get next?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »

I've just done a new test, my desktop gives me 7.49mbps download and 0.86mbps upload on an 8.7/1.02mbps connection, using the laptop the same speed test site gives 7.28mbps download and 0.82mbps upload using the HG622 wireless connection. I compared a transfer from desktop to laptop of a DVD ISO of 4.4gb and wireless it takes about 11 minutes and via the lan (which goes via a gigabit switch and not through the HG622 lan connection) gives about 1min 25 seconds.

So on the face of it for net connection the HG622 gives very close to the same speed on a wireless n capable laptop as the desktop does connected wired.

Stuart

Edit: For completeness I just tested the laptop via  my WAP 54G and it gives almost identical download and upload speeds. I guess to see any significant differences in net access I'd need a fibre connection as my current connection is as fast as it can be on ADSL2+.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:05:36 AM by broadstairs »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

Would anybody we willing to sell a HG622 to me? I think I can probably afford one now but asbokid has run out :(.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »

Would anybody we willing to sell a HG622 to me? I think I can probably afford one now but asbokid has run out :(.

:no:  Sorry Alec, I shall be keeping my HG622.

Could I interest you in a HG610, HG612, 2Wire 2701HGV-C or Netgear DG834G, for example?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »

I have been playing more with the wireless function using my Sony Xperia phone, seems much faster when downloading updates for apps. However I do seem to have a problem with the wireless and wonder if anyone else sees this - it is reconnecting that is a problem. I found that I had set the lease time rather low (12 minutes when I meant 12 hours and changed the lease time) so I disconnected my phone but found that it would fail to get the IP address and gave up. I had a similar issue with the laptop in that once disconnected it would not reconnect for some time, it almost looks like it has some timeout which prevents a reconnect for some time. Is there a setting I'm missing perhaps?

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »

Stuart, I've found the same, and at the moment I've returned to using a separate WAP. There are settings in the HG622 which I don't understand, so I'll need to experiment some more when I have the time.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

I have had a bit more luck with the wireless.  It seems that it works much better if I put the router in almost any position except the most convenient one where I first put it. Also even though I live with almost no detectable other wireless signals it seems significantly more stable with a fixed channel e.g. 11 and not auto channel.  A good signal seems to always be the first priority with all wireless!!

Some of my odd experiences may be due to using wireless n for the first time.  It seems to be faster with a good signal but but worse than wireless g when the signal is weak, not quite improved range.  With a good signal I get the best throughput with wpa2-psk aes, band 20/40 and wmm on.  With a poorer signal I have the impression that band 20 and wmm off do better.  I don't understand when the 20/40 is used or just what wmm really does though!!  Using other than auto on the MCS seems to need real understanding of things, the couple of values I tried (based on wikipedia reading) failed.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

According to this, WMM is used to prioritise multimedia throughput.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »

Having read up a bit more I believe that running in compatibility mode where b g and n devices are allowed may cause some problems. I am lucky in that both my devices which need wireless are n capable and so I have switched my HG622 to n only and will see if that makes any difference to either throughput or the issue with reconnection.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »

According to this, WMM is used to prioritise multimedia throughput.

I just checked and WMM on the HG622 is only an option is you do not have n mode only, in n mode it is on and greyed out on the relevant web page.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:27 PM »

I've tried setting the mode to G only (my internet radio doesn't have N) and also set the channel to Auto, and WiFi is now usable. But it takes longer to connect than the WAP and the signal strength is lower - 2 bars out of 5 instead of 3 bars with the WAP. I'll leave it as it is for a bit longer, but I think I will probably go back to the WAP.

In all other respects the HG622 is the best performing modem/router of all on my connection. Second best is the HG612.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

anything