Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TD-W9980 early set up queries  (Read 2641 times)

robsunited

TD-W9980 early set up queries
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:20:36 PM »

I'm setting up the router for the first time. There are two things I'm confused by.
Is the firewall set to work automatically from initial set up just like the bt hub 5?
What do I look for in the logs to find out when/if there are drops in my connection (ie. actual uptime)?

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: TD-W9980 early set up queries
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »

I'm setting up the router for the first time. There are two things I'm confused by.
Is the firewall set to work automatically from initial set up just like the bt hub 5?
Yes

What do I look for in the logs to find out when/if there are drops in my connection (ie. actual uptime)?

Just filter on either DSL or PPP in the 'Log Type' drop down box. If neither category is shown in the drop down, there have been no events.

robsunited

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:06:40 PM »

Thank you for the response. I'm already loving the 9980 over the hub 5  :)

I'm having a root through the user manual now to help me get to know my purchase better. The only thing I'm missing from the hub 5 is the ability to see the link speed of my attached devices. No biggie.

robsunited

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:19:48 PM »

Yes

Just filter on either DSL or PPP in the 'Log Type' drop down box. If neither category is shown in the drop down, there have been no events.

In relation to the firewall. I'm set up with connection type PPPoE. The SPI firewall isn't ticked in the options, is this correct? Sorry for being a bit dumb on these matters.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »

I have not had any experience of the TD-W9980 so I am unable to answer your question directly.

However I can tell you how to find out for yourself . . . and that is to scan your public IP address from "without". The easiest method is to use the Gibson Research Internet Vulnerability Profiling service. Test via "Common Ports" & also "All Service Ports" and that will give you a clear picture of the state of your current firewall.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

robsunited

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »

I have not had any experience of the TD-W9980 so I am unable to answer your question directly.

However I can tell you how to find out for yourself . . . and that is to scan your public IP address from "without". The easiest method is to use the Gibson Research Internet Vulnerability Profiling service. Test via "Common Ports" & also "All Service Ports" and that will give you a clear picture of the state of your current firewall.

Well my friend that was a most useful exercise. I'm delighted to report that indeed the W9980 firewall is working 100%. Thank you  :) Very impressed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »

I'm delighted to report that indeed the W9980 firewall is working 100%.

A purrfect result.

Thank you  :) Very impressed.

You are welcome.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything