Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky FTTC issues - Hoping for direction  (Read 3458 times)

swal87

• Just arrived
Sky FTTC issues - Hoping for direction
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »

Good evening.

After having months of issues with my connection i finallly hacked the modem and started harvesting connection stats.

Essentialy i am estimated to get 30Mb connection and do start off at that until the line settles at 10Mb. After a multiude of BTOW visits and a REIN engineer im left snookered.

The graphs paint a good picure of the issue but im not sure i am interperating them well.

Every Weekday morning roughly at 10:00 the max attainable rate drops 40000kbps to 30000kbps and the SNR margin drops from 23 to 17. This then reverses exaclty 12 hours later and has been consistent over the perod monitored. The only difference is on a weekend where the timings are 11:00 and 23:00 with the same symptoms.

Thoughout these changes my line is stuck at 9999 DS.

The REIN engineer traced it to a faulty SKYHD box. however the symptoms still occur with the boxpowered off at the wall. No Centreal heating kicks in at that time and there is no other automated / times systems in the house that i have spotted as yet.

When the line was reset back to 30Mbps this dropped to 10Mbps and interleaving kicked in.

Any help pleaseeeeeeeee!!! or direction as sky and BT going nowhere.

p.s. ECI CAB, now running Hacked Huweai Modem but still have ECI if needed to test.

swal87

• Just arrived
Re: Sky FTTC issues - Hoping for direction
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »

Also added some current graphs. But i get lost with this information and coulddo with help to understand. I have added some that areat night and some that are during the day.

The day graph montage is too big to attach, but i have done some other selections.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:42:10 PM by swal87 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:08 PM »

Hi Swal and welcome,

I'd still put my money on some type of Radio Frequency Interference.
It can be notoriously difficult to trace with absolute certainty.
However the differing week end timings must be the best clue that suggest a domestic appliance of some sort.

I'd guess it's something on a time switch although a human activity might just be possible.
External plant is unlikely as that would almost certainly remain at a constant time each day.

Have you done all the defensive engineering you can, checking for ring wires disconnected everywhere, star wiring, all wireless devices separated as far as possible from the modem directly plugged in with a short screened RJ11 cable into an integral filter faceplate on the master socket. (Use a long ethernet cable if the router must be elsewhere.)

Can you please describe the external surroundings / adjoining buildings ?

Kind regards,
Walter

swal87

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »

Thanks Waltergmw,

Im in a residential semi detatch house 1970's build (Culdi-sac) location.
Using the BT provided RJ11 into the face place and the Sky supplied cat5 into the router. Modem and router sat sideby side.

I only have one master socket in the house, this has had an extra filter added above by BT REIN engineer on last visit (to no
avail) No extensions to phone wire.
Checked timer on heating etc... but this is not running at the times.

There is only one wired CAT5e connection to the SKY HD Box and the laptop / and iphones wireless.
Had a replacement router sent from Sky too, and have 3 BT modems, 2 ECI and 1 Huewai.

Had D and E side changed and connected to a different line from CAB to Pole.

I was kinda hoping there were some known issues at BT where the DSLAM was checking 12 hours apart and applying Qos or somthing similar.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:55:15 PM by swal87 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

Hi again Swal,

I am not aware of any regular time-related DSLAM happenings other than single changes often in the early hours.  Perhaps B_E1 or BKK might have other ideas?

If you have a co-operative neighbour, might I suggest you run an extension lead from next door. Then, during the disturbance, trip the main breaker(s) for all your supplies FIRST, then plug your modem in, then router, then computer(s) into the next door supply. If there is no change disconnect your items from the extension lead FIRST then replace your items as normal and ask if the next door would trip their supply for the converse test.

Woops auto-correction undetected !

Can you devise some other tests if perhaps the neighbour has a VDSL service too ?
How about lending your modem to next door and observing the graphs from there ?

In VDSL matters, I am never surprised by an outcome, but surely this must be some form of RFI ?

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:26:36 PM by waltergmw »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:47:15 PM »

I wonder if our analytical Eagle would be willing to take a copy of the raw data (the modem log file) and then perform a close inspection thereof?

There is definitely something occurring at regular intervals that results in significant RFI . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »

The day graph montage is too big to attach, but i have done some other selections.

New programs to replace the script versions are on their way that will address the montage size issue, along with more detailed ongoing graphs (amended to report FEC & CRC errors correctly, rather than reporting the INCORRECT data as shown in the modem's GUI).

In the meantime, as per burakkucat's suggestion I would be happy to look at a raw modem_stats.log to see if I can pick any clues out of it.

@ swal87,

If you could zip the modem_stats.log & post it as an attachment here or upload it somewhere else & post the link, I'll take a look at it for you.

For general info, I have attached an example of the new style ongoing montage from another "problematic" connection that we have been monitoring.

swal87

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »

Thanks Bald Eagle,

I have had a new  Sky HD box and the issue calmed down after a few days as per the data you will see. unfortunatly thescheduled task in win xp home kept crashing and some data is averaged out.

I also had to get the profile reset as the sync was stuck at 9999Kbps.

Please feel free to take a look as i am still not convinced that this issue will not come back. The drop out used to occur with the skyhd box turned off at the well. ???

Triying to attach the log but its too big even on a zip, so i have sent you thelink via PM.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »

It certainly seems to have been settling down for a few days.

Let's hope it remains that way.

I wonder if the previous Sky box being connected to the phone line, even though switched off at the wall might have been the issue?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:17:18 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

anything