Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can you setup HG612 so any router will work on FTTC?  (Read 4836 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Can you setup HG612 so any router will work on FTTC?
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »

I know you can use an HG612 with modded firmware to work on ADSL2+ and can connect any router too it to use its wi-fi/LAN etc

can you use a modded HG612 on FTTC (VDSL)so you can hook up any router too it instead of the ISP's router?

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can you setup HG612 so any router will work on FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:57 AM »

Yes, Snadge. As long as you have a cable router, that is.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »

Yes, Snadge. As long as you have a cable router, that is.  ;)

thanks BK

what about a ADSL Modem Router with DHCP off and LAN IP changed to 192.168.0.200 - that turns it into a cable router of sorts, I done this on my HG612 with my Sky-Hub  - any of the LAN ports becomes a WAN port and the rest act as LAN ports and you can use wi-fi from this device too,I currently also have it set up like that at my sisters with her Talk Talk ADSL router and my Sky ADSL Router, infact its connected via 2 powerline adapters too...lol  TT Router upstairs (Wi-Fi CH1 & LAN Active) -> LAN -> PA1 -> PA2 -> LAN -> SKY Router downstairs (Wi-Fi CH11 & LAN active) -> LAN -> Sky Box , using that setup so she can get internet on Sky Box AND have two wifi networks, one for upstairs and one for down as she has problems with severe interference...seems to have worked

anyway, if you can get the HG612 to completley handle the VDSL on its own then you should be able to use ANY router connected too it.

have you seen someone on here actually do this? as on Sky-User they dont seem to be aware that the HG612 can be flashed to work in this manner and they are struggling on to hack/cheat routers into bypassing sky's MER (using 3rd party router firmwares like DDWRT) because the two (Sky Router and HG612) work in tandem, dont the ISPs have something in place to detect that you have their router connected to the HG612..?

It may not be as simple on Sky due to the use of MER...but...the person Iam asking for is considering Talk Talk Fibre 76Mbps but wants too use his own router, I said if he mods the HG612 he should be able to use any router he likes, if not he would have to add it as a 3rd device (turning DHCP off etc if using and ADSL router)

thanks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:56:04 PM by snadge »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »

It is possible to configure a HG612 to handle the PPPoE session, etc, for a VDSL2 based Openreach NGA GEA FTTC service.

James, from the ISP ADSL24, has made some posts concerning the above in the Fibre Broadband forum at the ThinkBroadband site. [1][2][3]

Don't be mislead by that thread's subject line, it does contain information pertinent to what you wish to achieve.  :)

------

[1] http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4109993-re-huawei-hg612-working-as-a-router.html
[2] http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4109999-re-huawei-hg612-working-as-a-router.html
[3] http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4110981-re-huawei-hg612-working-as-a-router.html
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »

Did this ever go anywhere? 

Last I checked it was pretty much confirmed that the HG612 will not handle the PPPoE connection without enabling NAT, which negates the point of a separate router but is kinda crap as its lacking in functionality compared to a good router.  Yes the HG612 does have a mode which would seem to be for handling the PPPoE then spoofing the IP over DHCP to your router, but it just doesn't work.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »

thanks B'Kat I will take a look

to the above poster... I dont know about when working for VDSL FTTC connection (hence me asking) but I can verify that a hacked HG612 can indeed operate ADSL (PPPoA) on its own and I can hook up ANY router I like be it a cable-WAN router or ADSL router with DHCP off - I have had my HG612 hooked up with Sky SR-101 Hub and Sagemcom F@ST 2504N ADSL routers..using them as wifi for the HG612

my friend wants to do the same but with a Talk Talk VDSL NGA GEA FTTC service (and/or possibly sky FTTC too)

anything